Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And earn them at least an ounce of credibility.

The quote in its entirety: "Hitler killed five million Jews. It is the greatest crime of our time. But the Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs. As it is, they succumbed anyway in their millions."

See, Gandhi was one of the greatest proponents of winning via non-violence. He said something most here won't even get. India couldn't win independence thru wars (1857). It didn't thru extremism, bombing and shooting the Brits, ideas that reined thru much of the early 20th century and along side Gandhi's philosophy of satyagraha (more like a "tea party" thing than anything the right wingers in India could dream of.

His approach wasn't easy. Not many can dare to take it.

He was saying the end effect would have been the same as the end effect of their actual response. Ghandi was not the pacifist of the movies. He had contempt for the Jews lack of resistance.

Had we adopted non-violence as the weapon of the strong, because we realised that it was more effective than any other weapon, in fact the mightiest force in the world, we would have made use of its full potency and not have discarded it as soon as the fight against the British was over or we were in a position to wield conventional weapons. But as I have already said, we adopted it out of our helplessness. If we had the atom bomb, we would have used it against the British. -- Mohandas K. Ghandi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Saddam too thought so!

You disappointed me... I expected yet another quote by Gandhi!

Yep. Second amendment, and the ten commandments go well together, neither specifies anything about what arms can be bought or not. Makes me wonder, what kind of arm would Jesus bear.
In the current anti christian environment probably a uzi!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:05 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Of course two oceans wouldn't have anything to do with that...
The Germans and Japanese both gave it some serious thought in the 30s-40s.

Japanese Admiral Yamamoto nixed any serious thoughts of it because "there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass," and there's a difference between raping and slaughtering millions of unarmed Chinese civilians and taking on about 60 million armed citizens.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I hope all these newly minted gun owners take the time and money to get some training. Using a rifle, defined as hitting what you want to when you want to, without training is difficult. Doing the same with a pistol is nearly impossible. In fact most criminals, as well as some, but less police, are terrible pistol shots because they do not take the time to train.

The thought of thousands of ignorant gun owners kind of upsets me because a few accidents can change public opinion on gun ownership completely. Also it is not real good for the poor folks, animals, furniture and walls that are accidently shot.

I'd be willing to bet that the bulk of these gun sales were people who already own at least one gun. Even still, to those new owners, yes, I hope they take a gun safety course and learn how to use them responsibility. Thing about guns is that they are an extremely tight market, meaning that manufacture is quite limited and supplies are very much subject to fluctuations in sales. Obama ended up being a boom to gun manufactures.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:22 PM

749 posts, read 947,038 times
I almost pissed my pants with that one.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM

749 posts, read 947,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And appearantly well armed!!

Funny very funny. America is getting for the civil unrest that is coming and want to protect what is theirs.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
http://www.ammoland.com/2009/04/22/u...d-indian-army/

EveryTown, USA - -(AmmoLand.com)- In just 3 months Americans bought enough guns to outfit the entire Chinese and Indian army’s combined.
You also bought 1,529,635,000 rounds of ammunition in just the month of December 2008. Yeah that is right, that is Billion with a “B”.
This is an evaluation of overall firearms and ammunition purchases based on low end numbers per Federal. The numbers presented are only PART of the overall numbers of arms and ammunition that have been sold. The actual numbers are much higher.

So for the last 3 months people have been voting with their wallets to the tune of over 1 million weapons per month. What's wrong with this picture, Obama is the man.

Does this mean we're ready to invade Poland?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
When people run to purchase guns because they are affraid of their government, its time to change that government. Let freedom ring out with massive amount of rifle shots!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
He was saying the end effect would have been the same as the end effect of their actual response. Ghandi was not the pacifist of the movies. He had contempt for the Jews lack of resistance.

Had we adopted non-violence as the weapon of the strong, because we realised that it was more effective than any other weapon, in fact the mightiest force in the world, we would have made use of its full potency and not have discarded it as soon as the fight against the British was over or we were in a position to wield conventional weapons. But as I have already said, we adopted it out of our helplessness. If we had the atom bomb, we would have used it against the British. -- Mohandas K. Ghandi
Why do I have a feeling that this is yet another quote taken completely out of context? It was this issue that led to his assassination by right wing extremists. One of his blatant (what any sane person would see as a very secular) response to a group of extremists on his opposition to polarization of Hindu and Muslim states (formation of Pakistan) started with: "I'm a muslim, I'm a Hindu..."

Not unlike the nut cases around here (imagine a politician saying that in public), he was taken as a muslim sympathizer, as opposed to someone who made it a point to serve the humanity in the best possible way.

Gandhi's quote, that even atom bomb would have been used against the British likely comes from the fact that extremist movements took every possible route to fight, as opposed to his "Satyagraha" movement, which most mocked, seeing him way too humble and weak, when in reality it takes a lot more strength to stand up and take a beating without resisting.

And he was pretty close in his assessment. There were militant groups within India who would do anything to defeat the British. They even joined hands with the Japanese and Germans in WWII (a take on the subject).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies