Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 30,948,293 times
Reputation: 42988

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He changed to keep his seat and admitted as much
Which makes him a rat deserting a sinking ship. Which underscores my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Location: North Side of Indy, IN
1,966 posts, read 2,692,871 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He just admitted part of the reason is to keep his seat. He admitted that he would lose as a republican.

He did this to save his seat As a republican he loses as a democrat he wins and keeps his senate seat.
Exactly. So, what's your point? That the 60-seat, filibuster-proof majority in the Senate is somehow insignificant since he only switched because he's smart enough to realize that Republicans are quickly becoming irrelevant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
 
492 posts, read 958,750 times
Reputation: 181
Good. No more whining from the Donks about Repo's blocking progress, now squarely in the progressive court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,951 posts, read 7,160,792 times
Reputation: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Yes, but the Republicans have about 5 Senators retiring... and they have that idiot in Kentucky...
The Dems have that idiot in Connecticut and another in Nevada.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
20,460 posts, read 26,211,281 times
Reputation: 7621
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Like independents are of a singular mind...

We most certainly are. The truth is that both parties need us independants..after all..that is what got your guy elected...
Speak for yourself.

I'm an independent and at this point in time there is NO WAY I'm voting for ANY Republican.

The GOP I voted for from time to time in the past no longer exists.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
20,460 posts, read 26,211,281 times
Reputation: 7621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Sen. Specter has always been considered a moderate.

The main conclusion that can be drawn from his switch is that he has more in common with Democrats than Republicans, which effectively says that as a party, Democrats are more moderate than Republicans.

This should come as no surprise to anyone. It effectively defines what Republicans need to do to pick up voters, and what Democrats need to do to retain them. The difference here is the Dems have already figured that out, while the GOP has yet to acknowledge the fact.
Your post is EXACTLY right!

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 30,948,293 times
Reputation: 42988
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Well one thing for sure is that the Dems will not have that 60 vote majority for long. Republicans will no doubt pick up senate seats in 2010.
For better or for worse, they will have the 60 votes long enough to make a serious impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
12,642 posts, read 15,529,334 times
Reputation: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Sen. Specter has always been considered a moderate.

The main conclusion that can be drawn from his switch is that he has more in common with Democrats than Republicans, which effectively says that as a party, Democrats are more moderate than Republicans.

This should come as no surprise to anyone. It effectively defines what Republicans need to do to pick up voters, and what Democrats need to do to retain them. The difference here is the Dems have already figured that out, while the GOP has yet to acknowledge the fact.

Interesting point....sounds fairly accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
 
23,838 posts, read 23,025,743 times
Reputation: 9407
If I were a Democrat, i'd be a little scared at how history may/will judge you with this newfound majority you speak of. If history happens to look poorly on this Administration, will you still be standing there beating your chest like baboons, or will you stand up and take responsibility for your actions?

You can ignore the debt/deficit now and continue to embark on your nefarious spending ways, but history may not be so kind to you. At least Jimmy Carter had a divided Congress to fall back on for his fallacies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 3,578,894 times
Reputation: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Speak for yourself.

I'm an independent and at this point in time there is NO WAY I'm voting for ANY Republican.

The GOP I voted for from time to time in the past no longer exists.

Ken
Speak for yourself.

I always do..... Your choice..your vote...but I think you may be in a minority about choosing candidates by party. I think this time around..we vote everybody out..Dems and Pubs..and we choose our candidates by the degree of independance they can demonstrate. Don;t be too surprised if after all of this a strong independant party comes out of the ashes and disrupts the monopolies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:32 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top