Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Associated Press
04-28-2009

The issue of reverse discrimination first reached the nation's highest court in the 1970s, when a student with good grades named Allan Bakke accused a University of California medical school of twice denying him admission because he was white.

Strict racial quotas were unconstitutional, the court said — affirmative action was not. But that ruling far from decided what many considered the big-picture issue: Does protecting minorities discriminate against the majority?

More than 30 years, and scores of lawsuits later, the question remains unanswered. Meanwhile, more Americans came to believe that affirmation action is no longer necessary, and that instead of leveling the playfield for minorities, it unfairly punishes whites.

Reverse discrimination suits flourish - Race & ethnicity- msnbc.com
when you get right down to it, affirmative action punishes EVERYBODY. how you ask? good question;

affirmative action pushes for more minorities to be promoted, and get more scholarships, and on the surface seems good, but what ends up happening is that some minorities that are not qualified, take jobs, and scholarships away from those who are qualified. if we are really going to "level the playing field" then we have to eliminate affirmative action, and eliminate the question on applications to determine what race the person is who is applying for a job/scholarship/contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
How do you know they aren't? Anyone I've ever talked to about it wants AA done away with simply because it gives preferential treatment to minority groups.

Because any time White men mention Affirmative Action, they neglect to mention that fact that their White wives, girlfriends, sisters, mothers, etc have been the largest benefactors of Affirmative Action.
Its hypocrisy.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:00 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Because any time White men mention Affirmative Action, they neglect to mention that fact that their White wives, girlfriends, sisters, mothers, etc have been the largest benefactors of Affirmative Action.
Its hypocrisy.
Agreed and when this fact is brought up, it's rarely addressed. In fact, the thread usually dies..................

Old 03-17-2011, 12:59 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I personally do not have a problem w/affirmative action. Scenario: let's say there are 2 candidates for a job, 1 white male & 1 black male. Both are extremely qualified, both a personable, charming & get along great w/the interviewer/board. I ask you: which do you think will get the job in that scenario, where both candidates are EXACTLY the same?
Affirmative action is more like this: two people try for a job, and one of them (white) has done the job (very successfully) for the past year without extra pay, while doing her job in the Department at the same time. Someone who is African-American comes in for the job, without the required college degree (the white worker had a Master's degree in the field), and without any experience at all in the field. All the committees that work with this Department support the white person who has done the job for the last year. The County Department head, downtown (of course African-American) votes down the committee members' recommendation, and decides to hire the unqualified African-American applicant. The worker who has been in the position of "Acting Manager" for a year is then expected to go back to her previous job, and "help" her new Manager do his new job.

This actually happened to me, and when I quit, the new African-American Manager not only hired 4 new staff people to replace ME, but also contracted all the work our Department did to private consultants. So the County taxpayer got to pay for a new Department of 5 people and a secretary, while also paying for a private company to do the work formerly done by 2 people and a secretary.

This is why I don't approve of Affirmative Action, or government in general. The level of corruption and waste of taxpayer's dollars is beyond belief, and there is no legal recourse if you are white, no matter how ridiculous the discrimination.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Affirmative action is more like this: two people try for a job, and one of them (white) has done the job (very successfully) for the past year without extra pay, while doing her job in the Department at the same time. Someone who is African-American comes in for the job, without the required college degree (the white worker had a Master's degree in the field), and without any experience at all in the field. All the committees that work with this Department support the white person who has done the job for the last year. The County Department head, downtown (of course African-American) votes down the committee members' recommendation, and decides to hire the unqualified African-American applicant. The worker who has been in the position of "Acting Manager" for a year is then expected to go back to her previous job, and "help" her new Manager do his new job.

This actually happened to me, and when I quit, the new African-American Manager not only hired 4 new staff people to replace ME, but also contracted all the work our Department did to private consultants. So the County taxpayer got to pay for a new Department of 5 people and a secretary, while also paying for a private company to do the work formerly done by 2 people and a secretary.

This is why I don't approve of Affirmative Action, or government in general. The level of corruption and waste of taxpayer's dollars is beyond belief, and there is no legal recourse if you are white, no matter how ridiculous the discrimination.
Actually, what usually happens in the "real" working world (ie not in gov't positions) is that hiring managers are asked to forego more qualified candidates for the purposes of maintaining nepotism and cronyism in the workplace.

I have personally been asked to offer (and even create) positions for the college roomate of the owner's older son, the younger son's girlfriend and the daughter of the owner's golfing buddy. Always at higher pay level and with the individual offering less experience. This happens way more often that Affirmative Action ever has (or ever will)

Old 03-17-2011, 06:28 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,342 times
Oh yes, AA is absolutely awful! I was unemployed for 7 months and I didn't even get CALLED for an interview! I started to check off "hispanic" and I got 2 interviews, and have been employed for the last 6 weeks.. lol

Basically, companies can't question what what race you consider yourself to be. Until it's eliminated, use that to your advantage.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is the most pointless thing ever. I remember reading about McDonalds and how it thrives on the fact that they have a lot of women in management. That's awesome, but.. so what? I personally don't find a company "awesome" because they promote a lot of women and minorities. What does that prove?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its hypocrisy.

I'm white/male and I still find AA ridiculous. Someone who gets a job simply because of their color or gender is simply pointless. In fact, I've experienced so many unqualified female/minorities in management positions, it's just so hard to even respect them at work. Sure, I've had some good managers of all colors and genders, but sometimes it feels like they are just in that position to make the company look 'good'.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,695,890 times
Reverse discrimination is just plain old discrimination.

A candidate's race or gender should not determine whether he/she will be hired or not. Why not just admit or hire people based on their qualifications?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

You really need to go to the EEOC site and educate yourself on what the law states.
Your "scenario" is anecdotal and nothing else.
You're saying that this scenario would never occur in a setting where there was a new white manager, is that what you're saying?
You know for a fact that he wasn't told to contract out work?
You're judging things not in evidence.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Oh yes, AA is absolutely awful! I was unemployed for 7 months and I didn't even get CALLED for an interview! I started to check off "hispanic" and I got 2 interviews, and have been employed for the last 6 weeks.. lol

Basically, companies can't question what what race you consider yourself to be. Until it's eliminated, use that to your advantage.

Diversity for the sake of diversity is the most pointless thing ever. I remember reading about McDonalds and how it thrives on the fact that they have a lot of women in management. That's awesome, but.. so what? I personally don't find a company "awesome" because they promote a lot of women and minorities. What does that prove?
That means nothing.
Did you apply to the same places that you applied before?
If not, perhaps someone liked what they saw on your resume.
Or couldn't that be a factor?
You KNOW that is was simply because you marked hispanic that you got an interview? Were there others offered interviews that were not hispanic?

So, you interviewed, were not hispanic and got a job.
That rather blows your theory right out of the window, doncha think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies