Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should sexual orientation be added to hate crime laws across the USA?
Yes 58 55.24%
No 37 35.24%
Maybe 3 2.86%
I don't care about this issue. 7 6.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Another thing that might interest you is that prosecutors have huge, huge amounts of discretion to charge these offenses as hate crimes or regular crimes. They can easily use personal biases against or for certain groups to manipulate the laws to use to their own liking.
Very good point. That's a big reason why I hate to see new laws created every day. It just gives the government (and those in positions of power) more weapons to use against us.

A friend of mine suggested that every law should have a "sunset clause" so that it's reviewed periodically - say, every 10 years. So many laws are written and passed in the heat of the moment. Sometimes it's only a few years later that we realize that a law wasn't written very well, or is no longer relevant. I think it's often more difficult to repeal a bad law than to pass a good law.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Default On the other hand...

Reading through this thread has been interesting. Those who would abolish
hate crimes legislation should understand that people are being made the victims of crimes because of who they are, or how they look. They aren't random crimes but rather people who are specifically targeted by color, sex
and yes, sexual orientation. I happened to see this referenced on tv as I was
reading the thread, and thought it might add to the discussion.

Virginia Foxx: Story of Matthew Shepard's Murder A "Hoax" (VIDEO)

Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Very good point. That's a big reason why I hate to see new laws created every day. It just gives the government (and those in positions of power) more weapons to use against us.

A friend of mine suggested that every law should have a "sunset clause" so that it's reviewed periodically - say, every 10 years. So many laws are written and passed in the heat of the moment. Sometimes it's only a few years later that we realize that a law wasn't written very well, or is no longer relevant. I think it's often more difficult to repeal a bad law than to pass a good law.
That sounds like an excellent idea so bad laws can be repealed or rewritten after a period of time.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:20 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Why is it ridiculous? I think it's a good topic for discussion.

I'm not crazy about hate crime laws because I think they require some mind-reading and assumptions. They're akin to "thought crimes".

With that said, I can accept hate crime laws as long as they don't specifically mention any particular categories of people. For instance, if someone is assaulted because he is heterosexual, he should receive the same preference as someone who is assaulted for being homosexual.
First, for all the folks who think hate crimes criminalize thought consider this. Motivation has always been a factor in the criminal justice system. Of course, motivation is thought. What was your thinking? Why did you do it. So thought has a huge impact on arrests, prosecutions, and sentences.

Second, if someone is attacked because he is gay it strikes fear into a whole community of people. Its a political statement. It could be considered terrorism. This is not the case if someone is attacked for his wallet which would strike fear into everyone without singling out a particular group.

The vast majority of people are not gay. Targeting someone because they are heterosexual is very close to striking fear into everyone. Also, gays are a persecuted minority and are subject to bullying and violence. This persecution is the reason gays fear coming out of the closet. There is no such fear from admitting that you are heterosexual.

You are correct about one thing. This is not a silly topic. Its a very important topic. Its a very important topic for a small minority of people.

- Reel

Old 04-30-2009, 04:27 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's not how it works. the accused don't have to prove their innocence; the prosecution has to prove the accused is guilty of the charge.

'hate crimes' are an abomination to the ideal of 'equal in the eyes of the law.'
You are assuming that a hate crime is not worse than a 'non-hate' crime when, in fact it is. See my previous post regarding singling out certain minority groups simply because they are members of that group. Of course its worse to beat someone up because they are gay than it is to beat them up for their wallet. Beating someone up because they are gay is an act of terror, my friend.

- Reel

Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
I hope that would be the case, but I think there's a good chance he would be charged with a hate crime anyway. It would then be up to the defendant to prove that it wasn't.
It is always the prosecution's case to prove that someone is guilty, not the defense's burden to show they are innocent. Where you may bring out writings or statements to prove that I hate someone, I do not have a starting point to show that I don't hate someone. Such a defense is ridiculous: "I actually think such-and-such type person is cool! I've always had gay friends. I have humored them, though I'm straight, and have had sleepovers with large groups of them. Etc."

Old 04-30-2009, 05:51 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm all for allowing each state the right to choose on their own... btw, that is how the government is, well was originally laid out, but more to the point, not only should it not be added, but the whole hate crime law should be thrown out. Its almost charging someone with the same crime twice. First with the actual crime that they've committed, and then with the hate crime law added. The reason for the crime is not important, the fact that they've committed the crime is sufficient to prosecute. Hitler, doesnt run our government and its legal to hate...

Careful, the thought police might find out you believe it's lawful to hate (thought crime) and refer you to the ministry of love.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Still, as I and someone else mentioned, slurs and epithets are often yelled out during an attack. If someone uses a slur, that can be enough to trigger a hate crime charge, right? The attacker may not be attacking his victim for that reason, but he could get charged for it anyway.
yes, that is exactly right.

and that is one huge reason why 'hate crimes' are such a crock.

the assailant who uses an epithet during the commission of a crime is highly likely to be much more severely punished than the assailant who commits exactly the same crime for exactly the same reason without using an epithet.

hence we have thought and speech crimes. yay.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes, that is exactly right.

and that is one huge reason why 'hate crimes' are such a crock.

the assailant who uses an epithet during the commission of a crime is highly likely to be much more severely punished than the assailant who commits exactly the same crime for exactly the same reason without using an epithet.

hence we have thought and speech crimes. yay.
This is just plain old common sense. How do we start rating hate crimes? If you commit a hate crime against a black person, is it 2 years more than just a standard crime? If it is against a gay person, do you get 3 years?

The problem with this is that it is all about dividing and seperating people into categories. rather than just crimes against people, this is perceived as a crime against demographics. I am not surprised though, that is the M.O. of the left, divide and conquer.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
This is just plain old common sense. How do we start rating hate crimes? If you commit a hate crime against a black person, is it 2 years more than just a standard crime? If it is against a gay person, do you get 3 years?

The problem with this is that it is all about dividing and seperating people into categories. rather than just crimes against people, this is perceived as a crime against demographics. I am not surprised though, that is the M.O. of the left, divide and conquer.
excellent and accurate post.

we're all equal, it's just that some are more equal than others

why no special protections for old people, or veterans? or people who are attacked because of their politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies