Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 08:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Our governments failure to do what common sense dictates, which is restrict travel from the country that is the epicenter of the outbreak, may end up costing us dearly.
There are major implications in doing that. JIT and our food supply.
We are not our own producers anymore.

They better have a plan B for keeping supermarket shelves stocked if they close the borders.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Other countries ARE screening. Many are considering RESTRICTING travel here in the next week. One swine infected Mexican on a plane, 1,000s could get it......and not the watered down strain that's hit a few in the US

Why are POLICTICIANS so farggining afraid to shut down that Mexican Border?
Because once they shut down the border and actually build that wall many citizens have been asking for, it will be hard to tear it back down. I mean, even if they close the legal border, unless they get a barrier in place across the border nothing will have been done to stop the constant flight of Mexican illegal immigrants. We need to get this done, for the good of the country on so many levels. Once the crisis is past, by all means open the main border area. But keep the rest of the border sealed off and guarded.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:19 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There are major implications in doing that. JIT and our food supply.
We are not our own producers anymore.

They better have a plan B for keeping supermarket shelves stocked if they close the borders.

As in those peppers that caused the salmonella outbreak last year?

Quote:
Mexican Serrano Peppers Have Salmonella, U.S. Says

Consumers shouldn't eat serrano peppers from Mexico, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said after tests showed a sample of the peppers from a farm there was contaminated with salmonella.
Irrigation water at the farm, in the Mexican state of Nuevo Leon, also was tainted with the bacteria, said David Acheson, the FDA's associate commissioner for foods, during a House hearing today. Tests showed the salmonella at the farm was the same strain that has sickened more than 1,300 people, according to the FDA.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...NTk&refer=home
We have had a multitude of food borne illnesses (previously rare and unheard of) courtesy of shipments from SOB. Additionally, the human invasion from SOB has done nothing but degenerate our treasury, our laws, our culture and our sovereignty. It's not even safe to eat in restaurants here anymore. While I realize that the FDA has slacked off, it's time to get back to basics in this country, produce our own goods and take care of our own citizens.

Mexico can keep their shipments of salmonella, their nationals and the rest of their grief and culturally embedded baggage.

I'm with READS2MUCH, build the damn wall.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:24 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, the temperature monitoring will show if someone has a temp, but that's it. It won't tell you why the person has a temp, nor will it detect the person who is incubating the flu but doesn't have symptoms yet, or the person who has the flu but no temp.

It remains, it is not customary to screen in-coming passengers for any disease, at least in the place I have traveled to/from. Plenty of people have already entered this country and many others from Mexico since this "epidemic" broke out.
I don't disagree that plenty are already here - many of them legally. My comment was in response to another. Somebody suggested that nobody is screened when they enter, so the legal status of immigrants made no difference. I suggested that during an emergency, legal immigrants are checked. Those guys riding in the van across the desert - not so much.

I travelled abroad during the SARS scare. They did check. They are checking again.

Clearly taking a temperature is not going to catch every case. But it will stop those who are already sick from entering the general population.

Peace.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I would certainly agree with the above post. Yes, screening can be done. However, to think that it is a cure-all (no pun intended) for stopping this "epidemic" is incorrect. My major disagreement is with those who think this is done routinely for legal entrants (not all immigrants, some are just visiting). Once people get in the US, they disperse pretty quickly, and can infect a lot of people before they even know they are sick.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

I'm with READS2MUCH, build the damn wall.
You can build that wall but the dots seem to be connecting to a pig breeding farm CAFO in Mexico (Smithfield Farms).

Plenty of those here too and that strain could have just as easily started off here in the US where the same type of manure pits are used.

Opponents of CAFO's have been saying for years now that these factory farms could be a breeding ground for new diseases. Looks like there might be some truth in it.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
I have a feeling this virus might kill 1 million Americans.

with more people infected returning from Mexico to the U.S

Old 04-26-2009, 10:00 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Default BREAKING NEWS: NYC Mayor Bloomberg says CDC has confirmed swine flu in Queens students

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Sunday that the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed that same strain of the human swine influenza that has killed people in Mexico has infected at least eight students of a high school.

Before that, there were at least 11 confirmed cases of swine flu in California, Texas and Kansas. Patients have ranged in age from 9 to over 50. New York health officials said more than 100 students at the St. Francis Preparatory School, in Queens, recently began suffering a fever, sore throat and aches and pains. Some of their relatives also have been ill.

Some St. Francis students had recently traveled to Mexico, The New York Times and New York Post reported Sunday.

New U.S. swine flu cases spread pandemic fears - Infectious diseases- msnbc.com

Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Here we go.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Swine-flu outbreak linked to Smithfield factory farms | Grist

The town near this pig breeding farm had 60% of their residents infected in early April and no one did squat. Clouds of flies from the manure pits were swarming all over.

Timeline of events since March:
Biosurveillance: Swine Flu in Mexico- Timeline of Events (http://biosurveillance.typepad.com/biosurveillance/2009/04/swine-flu-in-mexico-timeline-of-events.html - broken link)

Don't go after the illegals..go after the factory farms.
I don't think anyone is saying "Its only illegals!! NOONE else will have this disease"

Illegals are one aspect - and a troubling one at that - of the spread of a potential pandemic.
Yes, the pig farms are no doubt at the root of it, and yes Mexico had a lax response to the emergence of a swine flu that crossed to people.
And travellers will have to be tracked or at least vetted in an attempt to corral the spread of contagion no matter how futile it may prove to be.

I think that some people are attempting to twist this into racial politics, and completely ignoring the potential for the spread of disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies