Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 11:29 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
There ya go! And thanks for stimulating our economy.
I love Virginia. My wife’s cousins invited us there years ago and I felt right at home. What am I doing in a liberal state like New York? I'm ready to secede and become a rebel. There is no place for a God loving Republican social studies teacher in the North.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
I love Virginia. My wife’s cousins invited us there years ago and I felt right at home. What am I doing in a liberal state like New York? I'm ready to secede and become a rebel. There is no place for a God loving Republican social studies teacher in the North.

How did you get hired?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:31 AM

773 posts, read 1,215,212 times
Mexican flu could add to economic pain.

"This could become a serious problem for the economy," said Gabriel Casillas, an economist at UBS, who noted a large outbreak could lead to a further slowdown in consumer spending if shoppers stay home out of fear of the illness.
Business Feed Article | Business | guardian.co.uk

Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
How did you get hired?
You keep your mouth shut. Some way to live. If they knew I was a gun owner/collector they would label me a future killer.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I predicted that this swine flu thing would be the trump card the immigrant opponents would need to deliver any crushing blows. Not saying that there shouldn't be precautions about people coming into the country because of this thing, but I knew that the ones on here always ranting about borders and what not would eat this up. Don't waste a good crisis, huh?
Why wouldn't people want the government here to try to stop the spread of this just as other governments are doing?

Why can't there be some kind of background and health checks done on whoever is coming into the country?

Old 04-26-2009, 12:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Other countries are monitoring passengers and we're doing nothing here in the US.
At least monitor flights from Mexico as well as buses.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why wouldn't people want the government here to try to stop the spread of this just as other governments are doing?

Why can't there be some kind of background and health checks done on whoever is coming into the country?
Forget background checks..anyone who is coughing or sniffling should be pulled aside in airports and bus terminals.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
To an extent, of course.
However, a legal tourist/immigrant will be forthcoming and even more importantly can be forthcoming about who they have been in contact with and where they have been.
An illegal immigrant cannot and willnot be as forthcoming.

Or are you more invested in the politics of illegal immigration then you are public health?
Actually, I have explained this several times. My feeling is that it is you that is more invested in the anit-immigration issue than in health. An illiegal immigrant is unlikely to arrive in the US by plane or bus or any other form of public transportation. A legal entrant (as I have said before, not all are immigrating, some are just visiting) is no more likely to know who else was in the restaurant, grocery store, etc than an illegal one, although they may be more forthcoming (note use of word "may"). They may also be concerned about being sent back if they come forth, and therefore no more forthcoming than an illegal entrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Maybe everyone crossing the border should first stop in Tijuana to drink copious amounts of tequila. Alcohol's an antiseptic, you know.
Unfortunately, just the intestinal tract. It's a respiratory virus.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:25 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Forget background checks..anyone who is coughing or sniffling should be pulled aside in airports and bus terminals.
LOL, that would be 90% of the people in the east and southeast. We're smack dab in the middle of allergy season, and more people are sniffling than usual because a mild winter=high pollen counts.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:31 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
More people in the U.S. died from traffic accidents than died from swine flu today.

More people choked to death eating doritos than died from swine flu today.

And sadly, more people in the U.S. died from having been shot on school campuses than died from swine flu today.

Just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies