Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM

50,063 posts, read 46,605,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Better put in check-points for birds too.............and stop americans from going out side of the country. check

(only read first 5 pages so far.....27 and counting)
I think an Ostrich made me breakfast at Robertos this am

Good thing I didn't shake his wing.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,695,209 times
I noticed that some posters on here seemed a little overly worried about this flu virus (imo), so I flipped on the tube to see if it's being widely reported.

I just finished watching CNN for 15 minutes and then Fox for 15 minutes (MSNBC has a documentary on, so I didn't watch), and noticed that in the time I had CNN on, the anchor covered Obama's first 100 days (with commentators) for about 10 minutes and then discussed the swine flu outbreak for a little over four minutes, during which he and his guests agreed that the media may be overreracting to the flu situation, and agreed to switch topics back to Obama.

However, when I turned on Fox, Geraldo was in the middle of reporting on the flu (live from the school in Queens where 8 kids have been diagnosed, to boot), and is still going on and on and on about it. In the 15 minutes I watched, he and some other reporter repeatedly used unnecessary, alarmist terms such as "deadly outbreak," "widespread," "deadly situation," "rapidly spreading," etc etc. Unbelievable. It's no wonder people are freaking out about this. I guess Fox thinks their ratings are more important than not causing an unnecessary panic among its viewers.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:21 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,595,382 times
Geee let some more dirtbags in this country!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 PM

773 posts, read 1,212,240 times
U.S steps up alert and declared a public health emergency as more zombies..swine flu is found.
U.S. Steps Up Alert as More Swine Flu Is Found - washingtonpost.com

"The United States declared a "public health emergency" yesterday as countries from New Zealand to Scotland investigated suspected cases of illness that they feared might be a strain of swine flu that has been identified in Mexico, the United States and Canada".

Meanwhile let's look at how the swine flu is affecting the economy.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...qWM&refer=home
Mexico’s peso sank to the lowest in almost three weeks on concern an outbreak of the deadly swine flu will deepen the country’s economic slump. The peso tumbled as much as 3.5 percent against the dollar, the most of all currencies tracked by Bloomberg.
The flu outbreak, which has claimed as many as 81 lives, may slow dollar flows from tourism and curb consumer spending at restaurants, theaters and other venues where crowds gather, said Gerardo Margolis, a vice president for emerging markets at TD Securities Inc. in Toronto.
The spread of the virus “has an immediate economic impact and investors will be cautious,” Margolis said. “There will be a drop in consumption and tourism and that affects the currency.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p..._58&refer=home
The yen rose for a fourth day against the dollar after Lawrence Summers said the U.S. economy will keep shrinking and as the spread of swine flu boosted demand for Japan’s currency as a refuge from the recession. Higher-yielding currencies declined after President Barack Obama’s administration declared a public health emergency and released stockpiles of medicine because of a growing number of swine flu cases in the U.S. and Mexico.

Last edited by mcmastersteve; 04-26-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 04-26-2009, 11:13 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,193,718 times
Somebody needs to tell Perry that all the defense contracts fall through too.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 PM

151 posts, read 345,098 times
Default What do you think, could the new flu strain be genetically-manufactured (i.e., Bio Terrorism)?

Hello,

Moderator cut: broken link

"Gene segments from dreaded H5N1 bird flu in the A-H1N1 swine flu strain could mean that the new swine flu strain was engineered to jump species". I mean what is the chance that H5N1 bird flu in the A-H1N1 swine flu could combine on there own (serious question any statistic would be appreciated)?

"The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13. The outbreak coincided with the President Barack Obama's trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received at Mexico's anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma newspaper reported. The newspaper didn't confirm if Solis had swine flu or not."

Paul

Last edited by Bo; 04-27-2009 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Your link was broken. Thread moved from General US.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,949,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, do wash your hands frequently, and try to find a bus seat that's not around a lot of people. I know that can be hard at rush hour.
Thanks for responding. The hand washing is something I do always, especially after using public transportation. Finding a bus seat in a non-crowded section is more of a challenge and often unrealistic on a city bus. I wonder if I need to purchase a mask.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:29 AM

499 posts, read 1,524,875 times
Nothing will change!

The stagnation and depression of wages and benefits and lowering of Middle Class standards due to illegals from Mexico and C. America is a FAR greater benefit to the multinational corportions and their cronies in Congress and in their minds outweighs any damage and heartache & pain caused by an epidemic!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:36 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,664,250 times
Swine Flu tracker via Google:

H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps

Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,695,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Swine Flu tracker via Google:

H1N1 Swine Flu - Google Maps
Notice the number of pink markers, as well as the number of markers in the US with black dots (hint: all of them). Pink markers mean that it's a suspected case of swine flu, as opposed to a confirmed case. Black dots mean it has not been fatal.

All US cases have black dots, and almost all of them are pink. Fact is that out of 304 million people in this country, only 20 cases have been confirmed and all of those people are recovering.

The people in Mexico who died were unable to receive adequate healthcare. As of right now, it appears that if you seek treatment, you'll recover.

This is not anything to panic over (yet). Hopefully, the situation will not become worse. We'll know more in the coming days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.