Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,847,675 times

Advertisements

Old Joe is just a loveable old drunk...! How that man has endured for 30 years is amazing... Maybe not so amazing when you realize most of those washington blood suckers have been hanging around for that long. Once they get to Washington and see how easy it is to live the good life, do nothing, and get rich at our expense, they never want to leave...
There should be term limits and age limits.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,262,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
This morning in an interview with Matt Lauer or Sam as Biden by mistake called him...just a little gaffe or just being to tired from his hard work, Biden expressed that he would advise people to avoid small spaces as airplanes and the underground/subway....

I guess public transportation in this country will really like his answer and this will be the second scare American's and tourists will get in a week.

First Airforce one scarring New Yorkers for the foto op (which was easily done by Greta Van Susteren's team on the computer at no costs) and which cost the tax payer over $ 300.000.- + scared the hell out of people, and now Biden is scarring the rest of us with his answer!
Do you live in a city with a subway? I do, and I have avoided the subway for the past week--and will not be either going to the gym or taking any airline flights, until this major health threat has passed. Biden's recommendations are simple common sense.

From the CDC:

Practice healthy habits to help stop the spread of swine flu
Wash your hands often with soap and water. This removes germs from your skin and helps prevent diseases from spreading.
Use waterless alcohol-based hand gels (containing at least 60% alcohol) when soap is not available and hands are not visibly dirty.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and put your used tissue in a wastebasket.
If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
Wash your hands after coughing or sneezing, using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand cleaner (with at least 60% alcohol) when soap and water are not available.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread that way.
Try to avoid close contact with sick people. (Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.)
It is important to follow the advice of local health and government authorities. You may be asked to restrict your movement and stay in your home to contain the spread of swine flu.

Notice, in particular:

"Try to avoid close contact with sick people. (Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.)"

If you've ever ridden a subway during rush hour, you would know the health risks involved in being packed like sardines, wherein you breathe in the infected air of others. It's a prime location for the spread of flus and colds, in general.

Get a clue.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
So why doesn't Barry have Mr. Napolitano close the border to Mexico?
I don't know why, Mr. Omie, why don't you ask?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 AM

1,489 posts, read 2,029,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Do you live in a city with a subway? I do, and I have avoided the subway for the past week--and will not be either going to the gym or taking any airline flights, until this major health threat has passed. Biden's recommendations are simple common sense.

From the CDC:

Practice healthy habits to help stop the spread of swine flu
Wash your hands often with soap and water. This removes germs from your skin and helps prevent diseases from spreading.
Use waterless alcohol-based hand gels (containing at least 60% alcohol) when soap is not available and hands are not visibly dirty.
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and put your used tissue in a wastebasket.
If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
Wash your hands after coughing or sneezing, using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand cleaner (with at least 60% alcohol) when soap and water are not available.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread that way.
Try to avoid close contact with sick people. (Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.)
It is important to follow the advice of local health and government authorities. You may be asked to restrict your movement and stay in your home to contain the spread of swine flu.

Notice, in particular:

"Try to avoid close contact with sick people. (Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.)"

If you've ever ridden a subway during rush hour, you would know the health risks involved in being packed like sardines, wherein you breathe in the infected air of others. It's a prime location for the spread of flus and colds, in general.

Get a clue.
Oh, dear. You are not keeping up with the news from the Ministry of Truth. Mr. Biden's ofc has made an official announcement. He was speaking of traveling to Mexico! And he's right! Those subways to Mexico are a hotbed of disease.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:11 AM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I think at this point it would be like opening a jug of Ebola virus on a plane, then having everyone move to first class to be safe. Kinda sorta just don't work that way.
Let's create a scenerio. We have a indoor stadium with 10,000 people in it. Now someone has come down with the flu so what do we do? Does it makes sense to ensure more people WITH the flu aren't allowed in since one person is already infected?
I believe that makes sense. To do otherwise is like fighting a fire while you let the arsonists light other fires while you are fighting the first fire. At least stop recreational travel even if you don't want to halt commerce.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,883,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Actually, they did come to the states for medical care according to the press conference given by the doctors. The medical care just had nothing to do with the virus. They were in Houston for the medical care in early April then returned to Brownsville where the child first started showing symptoms and then was sent back to Houston. Lotsa folks from all over (other countries included) go to the medical center in Houston for medical care nothing new about that.
Okay, sorry. However, I was referring to medical care for the baby, so it was the way I posted that was unclear. I did read that the mother had a doctor's appointment in Houston, but there was nothing mentioned concerning "free" medical care. If this baby was sick before they entered the United States and they knew it, then they are criminally negligent for endangering others. I just don't believe that's the case. So we both agree the doctor's appointment was not related to the swine flu.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
This is sad. Biden for once says something that isn't a little whacky or stupid and he actually makes some sense, he gets shushed by his own party for saying it. I don't even want to see the conservatives knock him either for saying this.
His own party thinks he's senile, his enemies think he's nuts, then when he shows some lucidity they both want him to be quiet. The guy can't get a break.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:02 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,467,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Again, he is being called a fool for telling the truth. What is so wrong with a little honesty. Those of you that is critizing him, what did he say that is wrong? He spoke the truth.
You are right. Of course he spoke the truth. As a matter of fact, his statement is the most truthful statement to come out of DC since this broke.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM

838 posts, read 920,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
He is right isn't he? If the flu spreads like it has in Mexico, those people who are on airplanes and trains and buses or anyplace else where a large number of people are sitting and standing right next to each other have a higher chance of getting sick than those who are sitting at home in a farm house in rural North Dakota.
YES! VP Biden is right this time, confined places are what spread infections. Napolitano and Gibbs said biden did not mean to say don't go on subways, planes...at which time the press laughed this morning because Gibbs told an untruth. Biden meant what he said and explained subways and planes would spread infection. My hat off to Biden this time.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM

749 posts, read 945,563 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.