Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:06 AM

50,063 posts, read 46,618,493 times

Advertisements

CTV.ca | WHO concerned about Mexican flu-like illnesses

Canada is notifying returning travelers as is the US. How many will cross our border illegally carrying this disease? This is the biggest reason we have to strengthen our border and know who is coming in. How many will die from this outbreak? Someone could be making your food after recently crossing illegally.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,146,635 times
And this is exactly why we have a system for legal entry. We do medical screening to make sure that they will pose no risk to our citizens.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,459,131 times
My God.

Quote:
The World Health Organization is voicing concern over more than 800 severe "influenza-like" illnesses in Mexico that have caused 60 deaths...

<snip>

The United Nations agency says it has activated its Strategic Health Operations Centre -- its command and control centre for acute public health events, because of the sudden spike in flu illnesses in Mexico.

<snip>

"To date, there have been some 800 suspected cases with flu-like illness, with 57 deaths in the Mexico City area," she told a news briefing Friday. "Similar cases have since been found in San Luis Potosi in central Mexico. The number of suspected cases is 24 suspected cases and three deaths."

<snip>

At the same time, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now says that seven people had been diagnosed with a new kind of swine flu in California and Texas, which share a border with Mexico.

The WHO is also concerned about the swine flu outbreak, which may or may not be related to the illnesses in Mexico.

It says the virus is a never-before-seen mixture of viruses typical among pigs, birds and humans. Yet, the virus does not appear to create severe illness and all seven patients have recovered.

<snip>

The flu-like condition in Mexico has so far affected healthy young adults between the ages 25 and 44, mostly in south and central areas of the country, but not the tourist areas on the coast.

The victims showed influenza-like symptoms that progressed to "severe respiratory distress" within five days. Some have had to be placed on respirators, while others have died.
Quote:
At Mexico's request, Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg is testing more than 50 samples from infected Mexican residents to try to pinpoint the virus and better identify why the bug is causing such severe illness.
CTV.ca | WHO concerned about Mexican flu-like illnesses

Now you might be asking yourself why is it that we are first learning about this from the Canadians? Or why Mexico asked Canada to test samples of the virus instead of the CDC in Atlanta? But if you stop to think about it, it's really not difficult to figure out at all.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:19 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,291,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And this is exactly why we have a system for legal entry. We do medical screening to make sure that they will pose no risk to our citizens.

Exactly-the millions of illegal aliens coming here are screened for nothing and are endangering American's lives with numerous types of illness and disease. Another betrayal by our government.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:50 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,749,174 times
Default Swine Flu Pandemic - Is this the start of it.....

As many as 57 are dead in Mexico. Is this "The Big One" that will claim millions (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_12217336 - broken link)?

Excerpts:

- MEXICO CITY—Mexico closed its schools across its capital Friday after at least 16 otherwise healthy people died and more than 900 others fell ill from what could be a new strain of swine flu. The World Health Organization (WHO) worried that it could mark the start of a flu pandemic. Scientists in the U.S. and Mexico were trying to determine if the deaths were due to the same new strain of swine flu that sickened seven people in Texas and California.

- "We are very, very concerned," WHO spokesman Thomas Abraham said. "We have what appears to be a novel virus and it has spread from human to human." If international spread is confirmed, that meets WHO's criteria for raising the pandemic alert level, he added. WHO also raised its internal alert system Friday, enabling the agency to divert more money and personnel to dealing with the outbreak. "It's all hands on deck at the moment." Abraham said.

I wonder what our own Government is doing about this. I've a mental list of precautions and protective measures to take if a truly deadly pandemic gets rolling and claiming millions, like the 1918 pandemic.

Anyone got anything on this topic?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,601,458 times
All I can say is thank god our government has sealed the borders to stop possibly infected people sneaking into this country.

Oh thats right -- politics trumps health and national security.
Thanks a lot Obama, W, Clinton, Bush the Elder, Reagan et al...

Old 04-24-2009, 01:10 PM

26,126 posts, read 48,749,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
All I can say is thank god our government has sealed the borders to stop possibly infected people sneaking into this country.

Ain't that the truth. Thank the National Chamber of Commerce (NCC) for their vocal opposition to closing the border and tightening immigration processes. Of course, when I speak of the NCC, that covers most fast food and regular restaurants, the hotel business, most of the construction business whose sub-contractors use tons of undocumented workers, the meat packing and food industry, most landscaping firms, and the list goes on. All these NCC member firms and business segments want the illegals for their dirt poor wages, no benefits, no workers comp, no unemployment costs, no lawsuits for injuries or sexual misconduct, etc.

I always thought the pandemic would come from Asia, where conditions are so very ripe. That's not to say that an Asian didn't bring this to Mexico, but I must caution myself and others not to jump to wild-eyed speculation. Still, even if a pandemic does come from Asia, you can bet the NCC and the airlines will argue against closing down the airways to stop the spread, and our idiots in congress will be supportive of that, having been bought and paid for many times over.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:14 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,601,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Ain't that the truth. Thank the National Chamber of Commerce (NCC) for their vocal opposition to closing the border and tightening immigration processes. Of course, when I speak of the NCC, that covers most fast food and regular restaurants, the hotel business, most of the construction business whose sub-contractors use tons of undocumented workers, the meat packing and food industry, most landscaping firms, and the list goes on. All these NCC member firms and business segments want the illegals for their dirt poor wages, no benefits, no workers comp, no unemployment costs, no lawsuits for injuries or sexual misconduct, etc.

I always thought the pandemic would come from Asia, where conditions are so very ripe. That's not to say that an Asian didn't bring this to Mexico, but I must caution myself and others not to jump to wild-eyed speculation. Still, even if a pandemic does come from Asia, you can bet the NCC and the airlines will argue against closing down the airways to stop the spread, and our idiots in congress will be supportive of that, having been bought and paid for many times over.

I completely agree. I think a pandemic is only a matter of time, and I think it will be covered up by politicians until it is too late to combat it.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,363,206 times
With unchecked immigration (legal and illegal) it was bound to happen.

This is a consequence of that.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,031,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

(there isnt a frowny, worried thumbs up...)

Im surprised this hasnt happened earlier, too.

"From December 2005 through February 2009, a total of 12 human infections with swine influenza were reported from 10 states in the United States. Since March 2009, a number of confirmed human cases of a new strain of swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection in California and Texas have been identified. An investigation into these cases is ongoing. For more information see Human Swine Flu Investigation."

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/swine/investigation.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies