Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 02:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,530,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
A sperm is an organism that will develop into human being, barring failure to fertilize. So no, you don't know squat.
No, a sperm will just grow into an old sperm. If it fertilizes an egg, then a new organism is formed. Nice try, tho.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:28 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sad, but true. How that doesn't pull at a person's heartstrings is beyond me. I suppose when a person's moral compass is dictated by the Supreme Court, it should come as no surprise though. "Hey it's legal...why should I care?" is abhorrent.
Huh? Roe v. Wade allows women their own moral compass. Recinding it would be the Supreme Court dictating morals.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
No, a sperm will just grow into an old sperm.
An old sperm? You're a troll, right?
Quote:
If it fertilizes an egg, then a new organism is formed. Nice try, tho.
Wow! You're smart!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
See my post #10 where I make the unassailable case that human life begins at conception. It's not opinion at all. It's a hard fact. Indisputable. Read and learn.
It's very disputable.

The spark of energy that denotes life deserves respect. Whether that life is a fertilized egg, a kitten, an insect, or a dandelion. Life merits respect, but as humans we put value on more than that. We place increased value on the lives of humans because the sentience, the self-awareness, that we define as critical is a foundation. Self-awareness is the condition necessary to becoming aware of others. It is the basis of empathy, of creativity, of achievement. Self-awareness is how we individuate ourselves, and therefore establish relationships, not just to other people, but to the entire world around us. If you cannot establish relationships, you cannot survive in our world. So the difference between human life and A Human Life is very important. A fertilized egg is not A Human Life. It's not a miniature baby. It doesn't have a heart, or a nervous system. It has to develop. It has to become. Identity is not conferred by the mere spark of life.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Huh? Roe v. Wade allows women their own moral compass. Recinding it would be the Supreme Court dictating morals.
Ok, then let me rephrase it to make it clear. The absence of belief in a higher power makes the law the de facto moral compass. The Supreme Court says its legal and the pro-abortion types take advantage of it with impunity, to the tune of more than 100,000 per day worldwide. If the law is not the de facto moral compass, then what is?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Abortions are what you people are after. If you weren't, you wouldn't bother.
Yeah. I am all for abortion. I am going to force all women on the table and MAKE them get an abortion.

Quote:
Of course pro-choice is the same as pro-abortion, There are only two possible choices. To abort and not to abort. You already have the freedom not to abort. What's left? Abortion.

I have the freedom to abort and will do so if needed. Just like all the other women involved.

You cannot reason with the unreasonable and that is Eeeee22895. Go cry me a river. Wah!!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Don't want an abortion, no one is forcing you to have one.
That said, you have no right to make any decision for me or my body.
No ifs, ands or buts.
How would you feel if someone told you that you couldn't cut a cancer cell from your body because it was living and growing?
Your body, your choice.
My body, my choice.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-30-2009 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895
Of course pro-choice is the same as pro-abortion, There are only two possible choices. To abort and not to abort. You already have the freedom not to abort. What's left? Abortion.
*raises hand*

I know! I know!

Seatbelts are only 50% effective. You either live...or you die...see...50/50!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Ok, then let me rephrase it to make it clear. The absence of belief in a higher power makes the law the de facto moral compass. The Supreme Court says its legal and the pro-abortion types take advantage of it with impunity, to the tune of more than 100,000 per day world-wide.
Why does the absence of belief in a higher power make the law the de facto moral compass?

Why does a moral compass have to come from an external source rather than from an internal source?

And please, enough with the phrase "pro-abortion types"! There's no such thing. There is a tremendous diversity of opinion among people who advocate for pro-choice. Many personally would not choose an abortion for themselves. Many see abortion as a fact of life, that procreation will sometimes involve unwanted procreation, and where there's a will there's a way. They advocate the legality of abortion because they want to ensure women get the best medical care possible. There are multiple arguments supporting the pro-choice stand, it's a personal viewpoint, just as the pro-life is a personal viewpoint, arrived at along different paths.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:57 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Something tells me if men could get pregnant then you'd be able to get an abortion via 24 hour "drive through" and birth control would be sold in the 25 cent candy dispensers in the front of supermarkets.

I think men should keep their mouths shut on this issue or until they refrain from taking their c***s out of their pants to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies