Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:12 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times

Advertisements

This is from an article written in the LA Times.

"The Obama administration is threatening to rescind billions of dollars in federal stimulus money if Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and state lawmakers do not restore wage cuts to unionized home healthcare workers approved in February as part of the budget."

I'm wondering just where does the federal government get off trying to upsurp a States decision. Is this a violation of the 10th amendment?
The federal government takes your tax dollars and the tax dollars from the states, (which is your money in the first place) and then tells you how your going to spend it. There is a reason we do not have a "centralized government" in this country, it's about time that the Obama admin comes to this understanding. This is no difference than what FDR did with the NRA (National Recovery Act) this was nothing more than price fixing by the unions at the blessings of the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
It's not a violation of the 10th Amendment because the feds can impose conditions on money they give to states. They're not technically forcing California to do anything.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:17 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It's not a violation of the 10th Amendment because the feds can impose conditions on money they give to states. They're not technically forcing California to do anything.
So is this a stimulous or is it a power play by the federal Government?
Are they trying to stimulate the national economy by giving money to the states? Or are they trying to usurp power to Washington?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
So is this a stimulous or is it a power play by the federal Government?
Are they trying to stimulate the national economy by giving money to the states? Or are they trying to usurp power to Washington?
I'm not saying I agree with what they're doing (I do NOT), but they are permitted to.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Since when does the federal government dictate to the states on their budgets? The federal government has no business in how the state budgets it money. This is nothing more that a power grab by Washington, and if California lets this happen to them, then its a short step to Washington running all states government, the states will bw nothing more than puppets of Washington.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
This is pure payback to the SEIU -which spent over $60 million to get obama elected.

Quote:
Officials in the governor's office say a politically powerful union may have had inappropriate influence over the Obama administration's decision to withhold billions of dollars in federal stimulus money from California if the state does not reverse a scheduled wage cut for the labor group's workers.

The officials say they are particularly troubled that the Service Employees International Union, which lobbied the federal government to step in, was included in a conference call in which state and federal officials reviewed the wage cut and the terms of the stimulus package.

"The involvement of a stakeholder in this kind of state-federal deliberative process is unusual at best," she said. "This was really atypical and outside any norm I am familiar with."

Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Since when does the federal government dictate to the states on their budgets? The federal government has no business in how the state budgets it money. This is nothing more that a power grab by Washington, and if California lets this happen to them, then its a short step to Washington running all states government, the states will bw nothing more than puppets of Washington.
I know of one specific SC opinion on conditions imposed on federal funds allocated to states. It was ruled constitutional.

There could have been some more cases; I'm not sure.

I'm simply giving you the facts. Once again, I do NOT approve and I agree that the federal government should not dictate to California or any other state how to budget its money.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Obama is just paying back his i.o.u to the SEIU.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
This is plain and simple a power hungry play.
A better question is why did DODD and others not put stipulations to the monies given to the banks and how it was to be used?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
This is plain and simple a power hungry play.
A better question is why did DODD and others not put stipulations to the monies given to the banks and how it was to be used?
Good question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies