Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 PM

84 posts, read 123,148 times

Advertisements

Read the whole article here: BREAKING: Congress Briefed on Uighur Release - HUMAN EVENTS

Key excerpts:

Quote:
Moving quickly to release Chinese Uighur terrorists into the United States, Obama administration officials have -- for the second time -- overridden objections of federal agencies responsible for national security.
Quote:
Now -- according to a federal agency source who requested anonymity -- the White House has also overridden opposition to the release from both the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,028,018 times
If this is true, we all have reason to worry. One thing is to catch a terrorist (or terrorists, as in this case), deem them to be no threat, and then re-release them in their native countries. It simply is not acceptable that anyone caught on any battlefield anywhere (East Turkestan Islamic Movement captured at an al-Queda training camp in Pakistan) be released within the confines of the United States. Period. This is nauseating. It will greatly disappoint me if any liberal or conservative anywhere can defend this action, if true.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,378,354 times
So Obama thinks he is King of his realm eh. who answers to no one.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:55 AM

773 posts, read 1,211,779 times
Thank you Obama, for correcting this grave injustice.

This is fantastic news for the maligned Uighur resistance movement who have been fighting for an independent east Turkestan which was invaded by china in 1949 in a story which has many similarities to the Tibetan struggle.

Xinjiang, the Chinese renamed muslim republic of east Turkestan is very important to the Chinese government because it contains large oil and gas reserves and it serves as a passageway for transporting oil and gas from Central Asia. In its efforts to colonize and consolidate its control over Xinjiang, the Chinese government has waged an intense campaign to suppress Uyghur nationalist sentiment, dilute their culture, threaten their identity as a distinct people, and assimilate them into Chinese culture. One major way in which the government has accomplished these objectives has been by sponsoring the massive migration of Chinese to the area. In 1949, when the Communists asserted their control over Xinjiang, Uyghurs accounted for at least 93% of the region's population while Chinese accounted for 6 or 7%. By 1997, according to official statistics, the population of Xinjiang was over 17 million, 47% of whom were Uyghurs and 42% of whom were Chinese. In the last few decades, the Chinese-Uyghur ratio in Urumqi, capital city of the XUAR, has shifted from 20-80 to 80-20. . . . Since the September 11 attacks on the United States, the Chinese government has used the United States' global war on terrorism as a justification for intensifying its crackdown on the Uyghur people.

For several years I have been trying to help amnesty international in their quest to free the anti-communist resistance who have been mislabeled terrorists.
Document - USA: Right to an effective remedy – Administration should release Guantánamo Uighurs into the USA now | Amnesty International
"Amnesty International has for weeks been urging the administration of President Barack Obama to release the Uighurs into the USA. The organization regrets that after a month in office, the new administration has not yet taken this step.
These 17 men have been subjected to arbitrary and indefinite detention for years. Arbitrary detention is absolutely prohibited under international human rights law. The notion of arbitrariness, in accordance with the UN Human Rights Committee’s “constant jurisprudence”, is “not to be equated with ‘against the law’, but must be interpreted more broadly to include elements of inappropriateness, injustice, lack of predictability and due process of law”. Detainee access to a court to challenge the lawfulness of detention and to be ordered released if that detention is deemed unlawful is a basic requirement of international human rights law and specifically required by article 9(4) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. At the same time, under international human rights law no-one may be denied effective remedy for violations of their human rights."

Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,919,887 times
They are not terrorists. The did nothing wrong. They have not been convicted of anything.

The Bush administration had conceded that the Uighurs were not “enemy combatants”

Would it be too much to ask to get your story straight rather than just B.S in the Title of the thread?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
Thank you Obama, for correcting this grave injustice.

This is fantastic news for the maligned Uighur resistance movement who have been fighting for an independent east Turkestan which was invaded by china in 1949 in a story which has many similarities to the Tibetan struggle.

Xinjiang, the Chinese renamed muslim republic of east Turkestan is very important to the Chinese government because it contains large oil and gas reserves and it serves as a passageway for transporting oil and gas from Central Asia. In its efforts to colonize and consolidate its control over Xinjiang, the Chinese government has waged an intense campaign to suppress Uyghur nationalist sentiment, dilute their culture, threaten their identity as a distinct people, and assimilate them into Chinese culture. One major way in which the government has accomplished these objectives has been by sponsoring the massive migration of Chinese to the area. In 1949, when the Communists asserted their control over Xinjiang, Uyghurs accounted for at least 93% of the region's population while Chinese accounted for 6 or 7%. By 1997, according to official statistics, the population of Xinjiang was over 17 million, 47% of whom were Uyghurs and 42% of whom were Chinese. In the last few decades, the Chinese-Uyghur ratio in Urumqi, capital city of the XUAR, has shifted from 20-80 to 80-20. . . . Since the September 11 attacks on the United States, the Chinese government has used the United States' global war on terrorism as a justification for intensifying its crackdown on the Uyghur people.

For several years I have been trying to help amnesty international in their quest to free the anti-communist resistance who have been mislabeled terrorists.
Document - USA: Right to an effective remedy – Administration should release Guantánamo Uighurs into the USA now | Amnesty International
"Amnesty International has for weeks been urging the administration of President Barack Obama to release the Uighurs into the USA. The organization regrets that after a month in office, the new administration has not yet taken this step.
These 17 men have been subjected to arbitrary and indefinite detention for years. Arbitrary detention is absolutely prohibited under international human rights law. The notion of arbitrariness, in accordance with the UN Human Rights Committee’s “constant jurisprudence”, is “not to be equated with ‘against the law’, but must be interpreted more broadly to include elements of inappropriateness, injustice, lack of predictability and due process of law”. Detainee access to a court to challenge the lawfulness of detention and to be ordered released if that detention is deemed unlawful is a basic requirement of international human rights law and specifically required by article 9(4) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. At the same time, under international human rights law no-one may be denied effective remedy for violations of their human rights."
I can appreciate your humanitarian activism, but I certainly need more evidence that being caught at an Al-Qaeda training camp was merely for fighting off communism and not an anti-US cause. I'm not personally aware of a global fight between communists and Islamofacists, so consider me skeptical.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I can appreciate your humanitarian activism, but I certainly need more evidence that being caught at an Al-Qaeda training camp was merely for fighting off communism and not an anti-US cause. I'm not personally aware of a global fight between communists and Islamofacists, so consider me skeptical.
Well pardon us. We didn't know you were ignorant of the facts. Why don't you do your own research so you can be as informed as the liberals on this thread??

Again this Title is a joke and the OP should take ownership that he is wrong.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Well pardon us. We didn't know you were ignorant of the facts. Why don't you do your own research so you can be as informed as the liberals on this thread??

Again this Title is a joke and the OP should take ownership that he is wrong.
So were they captured at an Al-Qaeda training camp or no, oh wise one?

If so, can you explain the relationship between Islamofacists and communist China?

I don't see a single post from you purporting any "facts" that you speak of. Lets see it please. My guess is that you don't know the facts. You will simply post links to 4 articles, of which I can go Google myself. So Mr. Liberal. What'cha got?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,378,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
They are not terrorists. The did nothing wrong. They have not been convicted of anything.

The Bush administration had conceded that the Uighurs were not “enemy combatants”

Would it be too much to ask to get your story straight rather than just B.S in the Title of the thread?

Just because they have not been convicted of anything does not mean they are innocent!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So were they captured at an Al-Qaeda training camp or no, oh wise one?

If so, can you explain the relationship between Islamofacists and communist China?
Again, after 7 years in jail without trial the Government under Bush admitted they were NOT enemy combatants.

I don't know how to make it more clear than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies