Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

Well consumer spending does help the GDP so if you have the money and can spare some change.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i love it ----rush limbaugh waddles to the car and grunts into his SUV and talking about obama tennis shoes.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
So while speaking at a FOOD BANK it is fashionable to be wearing shoes that cost over $500? I kind of think that is in bad taste.
The pastor at our local St. Vincent's drives up in his new Cadillac every morning. Should he buy a hooptie instead?

What difference does it make what shoes she's wearing? Do you think those being fed really give a damn about her shoes? I doubt they do, but I'm curious as to why you do.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:35 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
who said that? I heard J Crew, White House/Black Market, but never the 2 you mentioned. And never that she ONLY shops at (fill in the blank).
Yeah yeah J crew same thing Oh yeah Target she says she loves Target.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
I do not like Obama at all, but what Michelle wears is a non issue IMO. She is the first lady and she is our version of royalty, like her or not, she should be dressed royally IMO. I do not recall any of our previous first ladies being frugal with their clothing.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Well consumer spending does help the GDP so if you have the money and can spare some change.................
An important note. Despite the economic problems, there are many whose financial situations are essentially unaffected by recent events. It would be helpful if those folks would focus on ramping up expenditures a little where they could. The idea of retrenching and cutting back out of embarrassment at being spared or as an expression of some sort of solidarity with those who are faring less well is flat out misguided. If you can, get out and spend a few dollars. It won't hurt you, and it will help the economy...

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
An important note. Despite the economic problems, there are many whose financial situations are essentially unaffected by recent events. It would be helpful if those folks would focus on ramping up expenditures a little where they could. The idea of retrenching and cutting back out of embarrassment at being spared or as an expression of some sort of solidarity with those who are faring less well is flat out misguided. If you can, get out and spend a few dollars. It won't hurt you, and it will help the economy...
I read on NPR a few weeks ago how Finland was using this idea known as "feed the pig" in combatting the economic crisis and encourages people not to cut back as much, particularly those of whom have the money to spend.

Honestly, if the Obamas or McCains want to spend their own money on luxury items, who cares? We all know that most politicans have money, so why should be surprised if they spend it.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
The Obamas they're just down to earth not like those gaudy rich greedy selfish republicans ....

First Lady Michelle Obama steps out in Lanvin sneakers and they're only $540!
Simply pathetic. She is wearing $540 sneakers to volunteer at a local food bank. Wonder how many meals for the hungry that $540 would buy.

Both her and Barry don't hate wealth, they just hate the people that currently have the wealth.....they are jealous and THEY want to redistribute the wealth.

Michelle is a pitiful excuse for a first lady.

Last edited by gsupstate; 05-01-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
If she has the money, rightfully earned by her and/or her husband, she can buy whatever shoes she wants. She's stimulating the economy.
I agree. She's earned a very high salary and the president's book sales made millions. This is not coming out of our paychecks so why are people criticizing her? Next they'll be complaining if her children get braces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Hmmm, let's see if all the lefty critics of Sarah Palin's eyeglasses come out and say anything about the first ladies shoes I'm guessing this gets buried, unlike the media circus that was, when Palin's wardrobe was at the forefront of her campaign.
This is nothing like the $500,000 Palin wardrobe. Also, it wasn't the Democrats who leaked it to the press if you recall! It was someone from John McCain's campaign! Michelle Obama is not running for office and isn't a public official. She has a law degree from Harvard and could be earning as much as the President if she were in private practice. It's estimated that Cindy McCain's outfits often cost over $100,000. She's a multi-millionaire and is not taking the money from the people of Arizona. That's not my style, but it's her business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Regardless of politics, why does anybody need to wear shoes that cost so much? Is it the mentality that once you are one of the "elite" that this is okay?
I totally agree with you, but I worked in retail for a long time and people spend a lot more on much more frivolous items than shoes. $500 for a good pair of walking shoes actually isn't so far off the charts. I go to Marshall's and look on the clearance rack, but that's not everybody's choice.

Not long ago I read criticism about how cheap Obama was because he only had 1 car.

Last edited by justNancy; 05-01-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 02:24 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Simply pathetic. She is wearing $540 sneakers to volunteer at a local food bank. Wonder how many meals for the hungry that $540 would buy.

Both her and Barry don't hate wealth, they just hate the people that currently have the wealth.....they are jealous and THEY want to redistribute the wealth.

Michelle is pitiful excuse for a first lady.

No, your silly hatred for the air they breath is pitiful !!!

In one post people are talking about how cheaply she dresses and looks and now we have the opposite on this simple a**ed post.

If she had dressed as cheaply as some of you people suggest, then you would be here complaining how she patronized the poor people by trying to dress like them.

I mean can you people ever get enough silliness to say youv'e done enough!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies