Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 01:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
what's wrong with knowing civil war history? perhaps he can't remember the name of the union generals because the union generals weren't as good. grant didn't even belong at the same table as lee, and grant knew it.

as for the "war of northern aggression" diatribe, I don't believe you. I have NEVER seen it, and I live in the carolinas. but somehow, it's everywhere when you "visit." please.
Sure Grant belonged at that table. He took the advantage he had that the others before him and pounded Lee into submission. He had superior numbers of troops, manufactories of all kinds, money, tax payers and others and he just pounded Lee into submission. Of course, he was also responsible for what I consider a very courageous action when he ordered Sherman to destroy Atlanta and move on into the deep south to get Lee in a pincers movement. Of course, the people here from the South don't agree about Sherman but when you go into hostile territory and have no supply lines you have to be serious about doing what it takes to supply your army and make sure nobody closes in behind you. I will always wonder what Sherman v. Lee would have produced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Whether or not this bumper stick was real, if I saw it I would only think it was a comment about Obama, since most of the South voted for McCain, although Obama won NC by a small margin. I wouldn't associate it with racism, however. We used to have one in MA that said "Don't blame me. I'm from Massachusetts!"

See if you can figure out which election that refers to.

Edit: Obviously nobody cares, but I'll answer it anyway. Nixon won by a landslide and I believe MA was the only state carried by McGovern. (yes?) The above bumper sticker was popular during Watergate.

Last edited by justNancy; 05-02-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times
you are wrong. I don't attack anyone. I simply reply to comments made. that's the idea of forums. asheville doesn't represent all of NC, thank god. it's a scummy town. go to the raleigh area. it's nice, and diverse. also, have you ever been to greenville, SC? it's one of the nicest cities I have ever been to. downtown was beautiful, and well planned out. I liked columbia as well, and charleston. also, do you have a problem with someone saying "we don't hire yankees?" the jobs belong to the employer, not the carpetbaggers. you don't think that a guy from florence, sc would have a hard time getting a job in boston because "we don't hire rednecks?" I have lived in the south for probably more than 25 years. I have never been asked what church I attended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree with you about Asheville. It's too expensive for me. I was thinking of Greenville and Columbia SC. Anyway, Asheville does not represent all of NC. BTW if San Francisco represents all of CA then why has there been so much controversy over same-sex marriage? That's because it doesn't, although it's a very large city.

I've been told by people I trust that it's not uncommon for a recruiter to say "We don't hire Yankees."

By the way, I notice that on most threads you attack someone or like to start an argument by selecting the words you wish to dispute. Apparently you didn't notice that I questioned the purpose of the Civil War and said that the bumper sticker might not even be referring to race.

I've traveled a lot, and I know that small towns anywhere have their prejudices. The South as a whole is very conservative and there is a church on every corner. It's not uncommon for someone in the checkout line in Wal-Mart to ask what church you attend.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
sorry, the military academy in VA is called washington and lee, not sherman and grant. generals come from virginia. if the north would have had lee, the battle would have been over in 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Sure Grant belonged at that table. He took the advantage he had that the others before him and pounded Lee into submission. He had superior numbers of troops, manufactories of all kinds, money, tax payers and others and he just pounded Lee into submission. Of course, he was also responsible for what I consider a very courageous action when he ordered Sherman to destroy Atlanta and move on into the deep south to get Lee in a pincers movement. Of course, the people here from the South don't agree about Sherman but when you go into hostile territory and have no supply lines you have to be serious about doing what it takes to supply your army and make sure nobody closes in behind you. I will always wonder what Sherman v. Lee would have produced.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
you are wrong. I don't attack anyone. I simply reply to comments made. that's the idea of forums. asheville doesn't represent all of NC, thank god. it's a scummy town. go to the raleigh area. it's nice, and diverse. also, have you ever been to greenville, SC? it's one of the nicest cities I have ever been to.
I was looking a houses in Durham and Raleigh. That's the area I like best so far. I haven't made it to Greenville yet. I found some listings in Simpsonville which is supposed to be an area that's growing by leaps & bounds.

I don't want to go off topic here, so if you are interested you can look at my posts on the Greenville board to see why I voiced concern. It was because of several comments by other members that led me to believe I might not be able to speak freely without conflict. I think Raleigh-Durham is probably a bit more open-minded. BTW I have family in Charlotte, my sister's daughter & her family, and they're very happy. Actually, I think Asheville is a bit too liberal for me! I'm trying to have a more open mind about some things. I also realize SC & NC are 2 separate states. I lived in MA and NH and they are very different places.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
sorry, the military academy in VA is called washington and lee, not sherman and grant. generals come from virginia. if the north would have had lee, the battle would have been over in 15 minutes.
I can't accept the 15 minutes and I don't mean because it is unreal. Lee had a real advantage in numbers in the east the first year and nobody really opposing him but he didn't win that soon. NO, I think that Lee was one of those who does better from the underdog status and the world is full of them.

I wonder if any other general in that war would have been as magnanimous as Grant was to Lee and his army. Somehow, I don't think so. That makes Grant a great man to me. Lee remained a gentleman to the end but Grant proved that he could be one at the Appomattox Courthouse meeting.

It was a grand war to study about the way they revolutionized warfare, usually because they had to do so many things different but the personalities involved were so good to study about. Lincoln's continual efforts to find a general who would fight finally resulted in Grant coming east where he was most needed because of Lee's abilities to fight from behind.

I think that if the Washington and Lee college had been located in one of the newer states, Kansas, Lee's name wouldn't have been included. I am saying that Virginia would obviously pick such a well known hero more likely than a state that had bled profusely while the war was getting started.

I might add that Kansas is still mostly Republican because of what happened in the fight over slave and free while attaining statehood. I know people right now that are that way because of that period and it is about as inherited a thing as the southern attitude toward the war.

BTW, in the early 70s I wanted to retire in North Carolina but wanted to be at least as far east as Charlotte, my favorite city there. I didn't make it though and won't be leaving Kansas since I retired nearly 15 years ago.

If you haven't seen the Glenn Beck special with all those Tea Party attendees it will be on Fox at 5:00 EDT and it is very informative. I especially liked his explanation of what politics, both parties, have done to our nation concerning the place of government. Many would find it very helpful in determining where we are and where we are going. It is time for the nation to take the attitude of the Tea Party attendees.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 PM

I grew up in VA, so I admit that I am very biased. I think thomas jefferson is the greatest man that this nation has ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I can't accept the 15 minutes and I don't mean because it is unreal. Lee had a real advantage in numbers in the east the first year and nobody really opposing him but he didn't win that soon. NO, I think that Lee was one of those who does better from the underdog status and the world is full of them.

I wonder if any other general in that war would have been as magnanimous as Grant was to Lee and his army. Somehow, I don't think so. That makes Grant a great man to me. Lee remained a gentleman to the end but Grant proved that he could be one at the Appomattox Courthouse meeting.

It was a grand war to study about the way they revolutionized warfare, usually because they had to do so many things different but the personalities involved were so good to study about. Lincoln's continual efforts to find a general who would fight finally resulted in Grant coming east where he was most needed because of Lee's abilities to fight from behind.

I think that if the Washington and Lee college had been located in one of the newer states, Kansas, Lee's name wouldn't have been included. I am saying that Virginia would obviously pick such a well known hero more likely than a state that had bled profusely while the war was getting started.

I might add that Kansas is still mostly Republican because of what happened in the fight over slave and free while attaining statehood. I know people right now that are that way because of that period and it is about as inherited a thing as the southern attitude toward the war.

BTW, in the early 70s I wanted to retire in North Carolina but wanted to be at least as far east as Charlotte, my favorite city there. I didn't make it though and won't be leaving Kansas since I retired nearly 15 years ago.

If you haven't seen the Glenn Beck special with all those Tea Party attendees it will be on Fox at 5:00 EDT and it is very informative. I especially liked his explanation of what politics, both parties, have done to our nation concerning the place of government. Many would find it very helpful in determining where we are and where we are going. It is time for the nation to take the attitude of the Tea Party attendees.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
I notice you ignored me. obviously because you have no clue about the south. you live in the land of fruits and nuts. your words.
Sorry 'bout that, although I don't think you answered mine either. But we've both been here long enough to know that happens sometimes, and not everybody's gonna hang on every word we have to say ("final" or otherwise...).

BTW, as Dubya has shown, one doesn't necessarily have to be born in the South, to have a "southern attitude". Of course, if you want to quibble about locations, I'm not sure how much anyone living in "Coastal North Carolina" is actually a good representative of the "South" either, "y'all"....

Old 05-02-2009, 03:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Hi, I live in CT and I have never been to North Carolina in my life but I was just wondering something, I saw this while on vacation in Florida:

I saw a North Carolina car with a bunch of Confederate Bumper Stickers including one that said "The South Was Right". In my opinion that is very racist.

Is everyone from North Carolina like that?? What exactly do you mean by "The South Was Right?"

PS: GET OVER IT! YOU LOST 140 YEARS AGO!
it means the south was right.

AND THEY WERE RIGHT

Old 05-02-2009, 03:32 PM

what's a "southern attitude?" I have also lived in TN, as well as a few other states. I know that the most racist people I have ever met were from NY. racism isn't about geographic location. it's about urban vs. rural. the only thing you know about the south is what jeanine garafolo has told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Sorry 'bout that, although I don't think you answered mine either. But we've both been here long enough to know that happens sometimes, and not everybody's gonna hang on every word we have to say ("final" or otherwise...).

BTW, as Dubya has shown, one doesn't necessarily have to be born in the South, to have a "southern attitude". Of course, if you want to quibble about locations, I'm not sure how much anyone living in "Coastal North Carolina" is actually a good representative of the "South" either, "y'all"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies