Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:37 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
As someone mentioned there is a pill, but many with cancer...throw that right up with everything else.
There is a pill Marinol ,, It does not have any Marijuana In it ..

You cant duplicate THC ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 06:43 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
So drinking and cigarettes are ok,, and lets not forget just because its legal it does not mean YOU have to use it ..You will have a choice .. As for driving stoned . well there are drunk driving laws as there will be laws twards driving under the influence for weed too.. (another money maker for the courts ) I feel to each their own .. I'd vote for it ..
Well this is my point. Driving under the influence of any substance is not allowed but legalizing pot will make more people smoke. And no, as an ex smoker, cigarettes are not good for your health but they dont make you stoned and they are legal, whats your point on that.

And another problem...liquor is addictive and young people find ways of drinking when they arent supposed to, imagine if pot were easier to come by. If anyone thinks that pot is not addictive they are totally wrong. I also think that smoking pot will lead to other drugs.

Making money shouldnt be a reason that it should be legalized. Thats totally ridiculous.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
And another problem...liquor is addictive and young people find ways of drinking when they arent supposed to, imagine if pot were easier to come by.
Trust me. Marijuana is easier for teenagers to get than tobacco and alcohol.

Quote:
If anyone thinks that pot is not addictive they are totally wrong. I also think that smoking pot will lead to other drugs.
You've been properly brainwashed by the Regan 'War on Drugs' campaign. It's not a gateway drug.

In this day and age, it's rediculous for this to be illegal when our last three presidents have smoked marijuana.

We're sending the message that it's okay to do as long as you don't get caught.

Our laws are completely messed up. As I posted earlier, someone with a marjuana record can't get federal funding for college, but a convicted rapist can!

You keep mentioning that you've smoked marijuana like it makes you an expert.

Meanwhile, most Americans have smoked marijuana at some point in their lives. And guess what, most Americans didn't move on to other drugs.

It's great that you chose to quit, but you're missing the point.

People should have the freedom to make decisions for themselves, not have them imposed upon them by illogical laws.

I personally never liked marijuana---it always made me throw up. I agree people look like idiots when high. They also look like idiots drunk.

But I believe they have a right to look like idiots. They have the right to mess up their lives. As long as they aren't hurting society, it's should be their decision to make.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM

I'd like to comment further on the accusation that marijuana is addictive.

People can become addicted to marijuana just like people can become addicted to video games and gambling.

It's an OCD personality that is at risk of becoming addicted to things, not everyone.

Laws won't prevent people with that particular DNA from becoming addicted to something. It's their personal struggle.

If you ask me, the most addictive legal substance is nicotine.

MANY Americans drink alcohol without becoming addicted. MANY Americans have quit smoking marijuana effortlessly.

But most people who smoke nicotine become addicted and most can't quit effortlessly. Yet nicotine is legal.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 PM

[quote=Hopes;8635629]Trust me. Marijuana is easier for teenagers to get than tobacco and alcohol.
Thats definately not true. Any teen can get cigarettes or liquor right at home.

You've been properly brainwashed by the Regan 'War on Drugs' campaign. It's not a gateway drug.

I dont even know what that means.

Our laws are completely messed up. As I posted earlier, someone with a marjuana record can't get federal funding for college, but a convicted rapist can!

I come from NYC and if you get caught with a small amount of pot you only get a ticket...if that. Its a misdemeaner. So if they have been convicted I would bet that it was for selling it or for a substantial amount.

Even though I shouldnt be putting my business on this cite I can say I have alot of experience on this subject. But what makes you an expert on the law!!

Meanwhile, most Americans have smoked marijuana at some point in their lives. And guess what, most Americans didn't move on to other drugs.

Well again this might be true in some cases but not in most.

People should have the freedom to make decisions for themselves, not have them imposed upon them by illogical laws.

I am not missing the point! You are placing too much importance on pot being legalized and making that a reason for freedom and rights. Laws are put in place to make us civilized and maybe some arent perfect and should be changed, but using pot as a way for us to prove that we have freedom is not the way to do it.

We have laws in this country for a reason. Albeit they arent perfect. Legalization of marijuana shouldn't be put in place so the government can make more tax dollars and it should not be legalized because we should have the right to.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd like to comment further on the accusation that marijuana is addictive.

People can become addicted to marijuana just like people can become addicted to video games and gambling.

It's an OCD personality that is at risk of becoming addicted to things, not everyone.

Laws won't prevent people with that particular DNA from becoming addicted to something. It's their personal struggle.

If you ask me, the most addictive legal substance is nicotine.

MANY Americans drink alcohol without becoming addicted. MANY Americans have quit smoking marijuana effortlessly.

But most people who smoke nicotine become addicted and most can't quit effortlessly. Yet nicotine is legal.
Just one question: Do you have any experience or are you some type of counselor to make these statements???

Old 05-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
It is true. Teenagers who smoke tobacco complain about it all the time.

Remember, not all teenagers have parents who smoke and drink so it's not true that ANY teen can get it at home. But marijuana is available at most high schools.

Quote:

That's proof that you need to study your history before you can truly debate this issue.

Quote:

I come from NYC and if you get caught with a small amount of pot you only get a ticket...if that. Its a misdemeaner. So if they have been convicted I would bet that it was for selling it or for a substantial amount.
When you apply for financial aid, you MUST disclose ANY convictions related to marijuana, even misdemeaners.

Read this:

Quote:
Drug offenses limit student loans
MICHAEL DOYLE | Herald.com | Sat, Apr. 15, 2006

WASHINGTON - More than 31,000 California college students forfeited their shot at federal financial aid because of a past drug conviction, newly released records show.

Last year, 2,219 Californian students were denied federal financial aid because they admitted to a prior drug bust. That was more than any other state, according to records obtained through the Freedom of Information Act by Students for Sensible Drug Policy.

Although the restrictions will now be loosening, activists insist the financial aid policy needs rethinking.

''It's a victory that some students will be able to get back their aid,'' Tom Angell, campaigns director for Students for Sensible Drug Policy, said Friday. ''But there are still some fundamental problems.''

Marisa Garcia testifies to that.

The sociology major at CSU-Fullerton pleaded guilty to possession of a pipe with marijuana residue, found in her car the day before her 19th birthday. Garcia, now 25, subsequently acknowledged her conviction on her financial aid application.

That admission rendered Garcia ineligible for federal student assistance, under a 1998 law under court challenge.

''Without financial aid, it was nearly impossible to continue my education,'' Garcia wrote on a Web site devoted to opposing the federal law. ''Luckily my mom was refinancing our house at the time, so she had some extra money to help me pay for tuition. She even offered to let me charge my school books on her credit card so I could afford to stay in school.''

Angell cited Garcia on Friday as an example of how the 1998 law will continue to hurt students despite congressional efforts earlier this year to soften the blow.

Under the original provision, students lost out on federal aid for one year if they have one conviction for drug possession. They lost out for two years if they have one conviction for drug selling. Drug convictions are the only kind that hurt a student. A student could be convicted, for instance, of vehicular manslaughter while driving intoxicated and not lose his or her student loan.

This year, Ralls said she knows of two students admitted to U.C. Merced who have indicated they had prior drug convictions. So far, these students have not yet provided the detailed forms that will clarify whether they remain eligible for aid.

There's much money at stake. The federal government in fiscal 2004 delivered $69 billion through various loan, grant and work-study programs.

Students are potentially denied aid under a 1998 provision authored by Rep. Mark Souder, R-Ind. Passed with scant discussion, the now-controversial provision denied federal loans to any student who had been convicted of selling or possessing drugs.

''We have a major crisis in this country,'' Souder said on the House floor at the time, ''and the question is, are we serious about it or not.''

Nationwide, 189,065 students have been denied aid for drug violations since 2000. The state-by-state numbers were hidden away until Angell's organization filed a FOIA request, and then sued the Education Department after officials demanded $4,000 in fees. The department subsequently relented.

A separate lawsuit, filed as a class action late last month, challenges the underlying and recently revised federal policy. Under the new law, the student aid prohibition will apply to new drug convictions only and not those that preceded a student entering college.

The revised law renders students ineligible for one year following their first conviction for drug possession. Students convicted of selling drugs would lose eligibility for two years. Multiple convictions can lead to a permanent ban.

College loan officers don't investigate applicants' criminal records. Instead, students are supposed to check a box on the infamously complicated financial aid forms.

''These questions add complexity to the form and can deter some students from applying for financial aid,'' the Advisory Committee on Student Financial Assistance, established by Congress, noted earlier this year.

Already, California and 14 other states ignore drug records in distributing state financial aid.

(Distributed by Scripps-McClatchy Western Service.)
Quote:

Even though I shouldnt be putting my business on this cite I can say I have alot of experience on this subject. But what makes you an expert on the law!!
And nobody else here has a lot of experience on the subject? That's quite a stretch.

Quote:
But what makes you an expert on the law!
Any citizen can learn the law. It's actually our duty since ignorance of the law is no defense.

Quote:

You think that more than 50% of Americans do hard drugs? That's funny!

Quote:
I am not missing the point! You are placing too much importance on pot being legalized and making that a reason for freedom and rights. Laws are put in place to make us civilized and maybe some arent perfect and should be changed, but using pot as a way for us to prove that we have freedom is not the way to do it.

We have laws in this country for a reason. Albeit they arent perfect. Legalization of marijuana shouldn't be put in place so the government can make more tax dollars and it should not be legalized because we should have the right to.
Have you ever read the Constitution of the United States? It's a good read. I highly recommend it.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
sorry..reading this thread gave me some serious munchies...

ok...go on....

Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
[quote=roxxy38;8636468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

The majority of your argument makes no sense...you have contradicted yourself a few times already!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
sorry..reading this thread gave me some serious munchies...

ok...go on....
I love "the munchie guy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies