Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times

Advertisements

A member on City-Data wrote this:

"Yes, in the same exact way that "Pressing 1 for English" requires little effort, but should not be.

You have to look beyond the day to day and into the future. An American populace half of which speaks Spanish and the other half celebrates Ramadan or some made up neo-pagan tripe?

I know you must think everyone loves this type of "diversity", but many will do whatever they
have to to prevent this type of dystopia.
"

Is this the non-PC way of capturing how most of you think? Does this quote represent your fears? What is your opinion of this quote. I'm just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Again, I did not make up the quote above. Out of respect to that member, i will not disclose his or her name but it was a recent quote that I found appalling but is this how Evangelicals-specific Christians think? Do they fear this? I'm just trying to understand your perspective?

I'm speaking in reference to Evangelical Christians and not all Christians or Christianity in general. I embrace and uphold the beliefs of non-fundamentalist Christian views FYI so I don't want to be cheaply labeled a Christian basher

Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
I can’t see that as an "evangelical position".

I do believe that every person in America ought to be able to communicate in English. Because not being able to do so leads to poverty.

It also leads to an over burden of government to supply documents and interpreters. (This has nothing to do with my faith)

I also have issues with Islam because wherever Islam goes Sharia law follows. That is patently against the constitution. I am certainly not saying that Muslims should not be allowed to come here or be here, but I am saying we need to make sure we are clear on certain points that are interrelated.

That isn’t a Christian perspective.

As an Evangelical, I want to see manger scenes on the public square. As an American I also want people of other creeds to have the same freedom to make similar declarations. The limit would only be obscenity or the advection of evil (by evil I mean what we all would agree is evil in a secular sense.)

I suspect some Evangelical posted something that reflects more their political views than their Christian views and you are confusing the two… either way, I don’t believe you OP quote reflects the EC view.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Ferd

As an Evangelical, do you see the growth of non-Christian groups in this country as a threat to your beliefs. Do you feel it is a threat to this country. The quote in the OP obviously believes that. How do you see it?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:23 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
A member on City-Data wrote this:

"Yes, in the same exact way that "Pressing 1 for English" requires little effort, but should not be.

You have to look beyond the day to day and into the future. An American populace half of which speaks Spanish and the other half celebrates Ramadan or some made up neo-pagan tripe?

I know you must think everyone loves this type of "diversity", but many will do whatever they have to to prevent this type of dystopia."

Is this the non-PC way of capturing how most of you think? Does this quote represent your fears? What is your opinion of this quote. I'm just curious
I have no idea what that even means. How can I offer an opinion? Context might have been helpful.

On it's face, it seems suspect, because in this country half do not speak Spanish and half do not celebrate Ramadan "or some made up neo-pagan tripe" (whatever that means).

So...no comment.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:31 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Again, I did not make up the quote above. Out of respect to that member, i will not disclose his or her name but it was a recent quote that I found appalling but is this how Evangelicals-specific Christians think? Do they fear this? I'm just trying to understand your perspective?

I'm speaking in reference to Evangelical Christians and not all Christians or Christianity in general. I embrace and uphold the beliefs of non-fundamentalist Christian views FYI so I don't want to be cheaply labeled a Christian basher
Well, all the hype about so-called "fundamentalists" is just that — "hype" in my opinion. Remember that it is non-believers who made up that term.

A Christian, who is truly a believer (and that is the only kind of Christian there is) does not use the term "fundamentalist". One is Christian, or one is not. Christians believe the Bible is Gods written word. We can argue over the meaning of some passages, but by-and-large, there is agreement. And it is never a good idea to share our disagreements with unbelievers, who don't understand it anyway. They will only use their misguided and wrong assumptions to attack us. Why would I want to give them the chance.

I do use scripture occasionally to make a point, if it seems appropriate to do so. But I have found it to be a waste of time to argue theology with nonbelievers.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:10 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Ferd

As an Evangelical, do you see the growth of non-Christian groups in this country as a threat to your beliefs. Do you feel it is a threat to this country. The quote in the OP obviously believes that. How do you see it?
on the contrary, I see the growth of non-Christian beliefs as opportunity.

I do hold some radical views on traditional Christianity (even traditional Evangelical Christianity). For the most part it has become dead religion.

That death gives room for re-birth for Christian faith that is alive. I suspect my views on this don’t mesh with most other Evangelicals but I am comfortable with that.

I do think (This is unrelated to my Christian faith) that Islam in particular has some very worrisome aspects that are a real threat/danger to the West in general. I do not believe that radical Islam represents some ultra small fraction of the Muslim world. I believe it is at the very least in the 10 to 25% range with another 30 to 40% holding real sympathy for the radicals. THAT is a threat to all non-Muslims and in particular to all of the west because we are both non-Muslim and viewed by Islam as decadent.

That isn’t based on my Christian faith though.

On the subject of Christianity, I believe that ALL of the issues Christianity has with people moving away from Christian belief is the fault of Christians/Christian denominations themselves. We cant look to outside influences to find why many are simply dropping out.

Sorry if I am posting somewhat disjointed here.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:

Naw. I won't use a cheap label. I'd say you're a Christian basher of the finest sort.

If I were the poster who is being quoted, I'd feel this to be a personal attack. Why would you single out an individual poster like this in a separate thread? Do you not think it's easy to search and find out whom you are quoting?

Besides, the premise of your OP is that it's representative of how all Christians think. As has been explained, Christians think of themselves as Christians, not hyphenated Christians.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 PM

900 posts, read 673,770 times
If a poster posts something idiotic, they deserve to be singled out. Spare me the crocodile tears for this poor bigot.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:21 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,777,162 times
Quote:
\
and the other half celebrates Ramadan or some made up neo-pagan tripe?
You mean Christmas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies