Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times

Advertisements

You know what's ironic? The Democrats used to be the racists.

Anyway, this is an interesting group - http://www.rmsp.org/ (not sure if I agree with them)

Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Arlen Specter provides a good example of this. He barely won his Republican primary six years ago, and for this upcoming primary, he knew he was doomed by right-wing forces in his own party, so he got out of the GOP.

It's all very predictable: The Republicans in Pennsylvania will nominate a hard-core right-winger, and then Specter will win the general election.

Such a conundrum, isn't it?
Yeah, let's talk about Joe Lieberman and the Democrat big tent. Joe was a VERY reliable liberal. One of the highest ratings. Yet, they absolutely savaged him on the war. They disowned him, pulled support for his Senate run and forced him out of the party. On ONE issue. Joe, of course, has the satisfaction of being the only Democrat senator who was right on the war, despite what all the naysayers and pundit were wrongly predicting at the time.

The Specter comparison isn't even in the ballpark. Arlen had among the most liberal voting records on the GOP side. He was a thorn on many major issues. When he saw he was going to lose the primary, he made up this song and dance about the GOP "moving to the right" when in reality it isn't nearly as conservative as in was in 1994 when it swept Congress. Arlen will make a perfect Democrat. He lies, and he's a self-serving hypocrite without principle.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You know what's ironic? The Democrats used to be the racists.
I know, it's all backwards from the days of 1960 or so. The long-racist DEMs in the south were infuriated by JFK and his embrace of civil rights... gee, it was ONLY a hundred years after the south LOST the civil war. So in the mid 1960's the southern racists began going to the GOP, which Nixon masterfully played with his 'southern strategy' to play on racial fears. In a way, the south LOST the civil war again in the 2008 election, when a black man was elected in a LANDSLIDE, and now the far right is utterly agog in racial fury but cannot come out and say it lest their racism be plainly in view, so instead, they throw EVERY moderate they can find under the bus. Hilarious!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Anyway, this is an interesting group - Republican Main Street Partnership
Yep, I'm aware of that group, but I don't remember ever hearing about them in the news. I know they have lots of members, but it seems like they're treated like a fringe group.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree, it's amazing what the GOP "base" will allow when it's THEIR guy trying to bugger little boys or speak racist talk. Is it any reason well-respected conservative op-ed writers are publishing pieces about the GOP being out of touch.....
Funny, both Allen and Foley were out of politics after their "misdeeds". Of course Foley didn't 'bugger' anybody. He just wrote some notes.

Meanwhile, the guy who ran a gay prostitution ring out of his basement, not only didn't resign, but is one of the big shot-callers for the Democrats. And the racist? The one who openly disparaged 'Indians"? Well, hell. He's vice president now.

So I'm SO game for this little talk about hypocrisy. Bring it on.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
I know, it's all backwards from the days of 1960 or so. The long-racist DEMs in the south were infuriated by JFK and his embrace of civil rights... gee, it was ONLY a hundred years after the south LOST the civil war. So in the mid 1960's the southern racists began going to the GOP, which Nixon masterfully played with his 'southern strategy' to play on racial fears. In a way, the south LOST the civil war again in the 2008 election, when a black man was elected in a LANDSLIDEand now the far right is utterly agog in racial fury but cannot come out and say it lest their racism be plainly in view, , so instead, they throw EVERY moderate they can find under the bus. Hilarious!
It wasn't a "landslide." And where do you get the idea that those on the far right (including me) have a "racial fury" over the 2008 election?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Yeah, let's talk about Joe Lieberman and the Democrat big tent. Joe was a VERY reliable liberal. One of the highest ratings. Yet, they absolutely savaged him on the war. They disowned him, pulled support for his Senate run and forced him out of the party. On ONE issue. Joe, of course, has the satisfaction of being the only Democrat senator who was right on the war, despite what all the naysayers and pundit were wrongly predicting at the time.
One big difference is that Lieberman wanted to remain a Democrat, albeit an "independent Democrat", as I believe he refers to himself, and he still caucuses with the Democrats to this day. Specter didn't even want to be an independent Republican. He left the Republican Party completely. He'll be caucusing with the Democrats.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Meanwhile, the guy who ran a gay prostitution ring out of his basement, not only didn't resign, but is one of the big shot-callers for the Democrats.
And his constituents have reelected him over and over again. The only ones still obsessed with the prostitution scandal are right-wing Republicans, who have nothing to do with his election.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I know, it's all backwards from the days of 1960 or so. The long-racist DEMs in the south were infuriated by JFK and his embrace of civil rights... gee, it was ONLY a hundred years after the south LOST the civil war. So in the mid 1960's the southern racists began going to the GOP, which Nixon masterfully played with his 'southern strategy' to play on racial fears. In a way, the south LOST the civil war again in the 2008 election, when a black man was elected in a LANDSLIDE, and now the far right is utterly agog in racial fury but cannot come out and say it lest their racism be plainly in view, so instead, they throw EVERY moderate they can find under the bus. Hilarious!
Hmm. The only group that practiced racial bigotry the whole campaign were the Democrats. We had Bill Clinton's comments in the primary. Then we had Obama playing the race card, by predicting some offense from the GOP that never happened.

It's funny. In my business and dealings, nobody ever talks or thinks about race. We think about competence.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Delightful. Defending a congressman preying on young pages and a Senator who calls an Indian man a monkey...
I personally also thought the Foley issue was overblown and was certainly the dumbest reason to vote against the Republicans in 2006. But by that time, who was counting, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies