Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's still the law.

Maybe you didn't know this, but the will of the people is only part of the equation. We have a system of checks and balances, and separate branches of government. The courts ultimately make the final decisions on laws.

There are endless examples of the courts overturning "the will of the people". It's nothing new.
thanks for that brilliant bit of information. oh checks and balances, havent heard of that. well, the places where homosexual marriage is allowed need to be checked.

sounds like you are very happy to have courts overturn the will of the people when it works out to your favor. i doubt you would be singing the same turn in the reverse position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:10 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Go Carrie! I love a woman that is not afraid to stand up for her beliefs.
If she were in favor of same-sex marriage, would you still say that?

Old 05-02-2009, 03:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Good for her for fighting back!
Perez is the one that made this a fight trying to slay and discredit her for her opinion and beliefs.
go get em Miss California!
The gays are just pis*ed that CA voted against it they thought for sure they would get it passed there without a blink so Miss CA is with all those who voted against it! Haha...
Absolutely! Amazing how much hate is directed at her just for saying she felt marriage was meant to be between a man and a woman. Such tolerance from the gay left.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
sounds like you are very happy to have courts overturn the will of the people when it works out to your favor. i doubt you would be singing the same turn in the reverse position.
I accept the decisions, even if I don't like them. My impression is that you don't.

Accepting the decisions, however, doesn't mean you have to stop fighting for what you believe is right. Those who are opposed to same-sex marriage will continue to use the legal system to try to stop it, and I support their right to do so.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Absolutely! Amazing how much hate is directed at her just for saying she felt marriage was meant to be between a man and a woman. Such tolerance from the gay left.
"The gay left?" What about all of the straight people who are in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage? Or the Republicans who are in favor of it?

I don't hate her at all, by the way.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
I accept the decisions, even if I don't like them. My impression is that you don't.

Accepting the decisions, however, doesn't mean you have to stop fighting for what you believe is right. Those who are opposed to same-sex marriage will continue to use the legal system to try to stop it, and I support their right to do so.
i dont know where same sex marriage is legal and how it is recognized in places where it isnt legal. i know that americans dont want it. so we should fight it wherever it succeeds.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:16 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
If your state ever recognizes same-sex marriage or if the Defense of Marriage Act is abolished, then you won't have a choice but to "legitimize it".
Accepting gay marriage is a choice regardless of the law. I will never accept gay marriage as legitimate regardless of the laws. I am not homophobic and actually have known and have gays in my extended family. That does not mean I have to accept gay marriage. They know I love them but also know where I stand on gay marriage. It is no problem between us and will never be.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont know where same sex marriage is legal and how it is recognized in places where it isnt legal. i know that americans dont want it. so we should fight it wherever it succeeds.
It's legal in the following states:

Vermont
Connecticut
Massachusetts
Iowa

It's recognized in New York, Rhode Island, and Washington, D.C. They don't perform same-sex marriages in those places, however.

The polls in New York show that a majority of New Yorkers are in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage. I've seen similar numbers in New Jersey. In California, it's still about a 50/50 split.

FYI: Same-sex marriage is also legal in the following countries:

Belgium
Canada
Netherlands
Norway
South Africa
Spain
Sweden

Old 05-02-2009, 03:22 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Ms Hilton cannot be that famous...never heard of him before the pagent. He wants to act feminine thus I will refer to him as Ms Hilton.

Miss Calif may not be a Ph.D...many of us are not. She is just avg with some good looks (too men).

The contest was a beauty contest and not a show of IQ or musical talents etc.

Wonder if Ms Hilton should enter a "Gay" contest and answer a "straight" question of Marriage between a Man and a Woman. Wonder what his answer would be?.

If the question were "what is your favorite color"? and she answered "blue" while Ms Hilton were to favor Red...does that mean she would get a "O" for her answer?.

The point I have is that we all think differently and may have a differernce of opinions that does not require us to be negative against another persons opposing answer be what it may be.

Steve

Old 05-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Accepting gay marriage is a choice regardless of the law. I will never accept gay marriage as legitimate regardless of the laws. I am not homophobic and actually have known and have gays in my extended family. That does not mean I have to accept gay marriage. They know I love them but also know where I stand on gay marriage. It is no problem between us and will never be.
I hear you, and that's all fine. My point was that those marriages will be recognized by the law. Personal opinions can't be forced, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies