Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:47 PM

341 posts, read 691,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Yes, a person who does not believe in god can still be a good person.
agreed, Did someone say anything different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:49 PM

341 posts, read 691,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The US is not under Sharia law. Adultery is perfectly legal. And even in the days when adultery was illegal in the US, in practice it was "adultery by a woman is illegal, not by a man"
I believe there are states where adultery may still be illegal on the books they just don't persue it

Old 05-15-2009, 06:50 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,961,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
I believe there are states where adultery may still be illegal on the books they just don't persue it
Thank god - otherwise these states would be a legal nightmare. The less the State involves intself in the personal affairs of individuals the better.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,713,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
AFAIK it's not illegal in any US states - any remaining adultery laws would have been struck down by Lawrence v. Texas unless said adultery is with a minor, in which case statutory rape laws would apply. However adultery is still a crime under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,501,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's absolutely amazing to me that Ann Coulter can even function as a human being while being filled with so much hate. Everyone can throw out their opinions and while we may not agree, we go on with life. Her entire life revolves around hating people who aren't like her.

I just can't imagine.
She's just a "pusher" peddling a product, which just like drugs & prostitution, still has a market even though it happens to be socially frowned upon. Only the drug she's peddling is "rage", custom made for all those Right Wing "junkies" out there who've become addicted to it. And though she and the rest of her kind (Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly, etc.) make a nice living providing 'wingers with their daily "rage fix", like any typical pusher/"business person", I doubt that any of them gives a damn about ethics or even actually believes in what they "sell". At their core, it's only about whatever their clientele wants to hear and their "bottomline".

But as with drugs and prostitution, I think the question is, what kind of person buys it and why is there such a demand for this kind of thing?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 PM

893 posts, read 1,584,757 times
I believe the Military is the only place where adultry is punishable, but that varies and depends on the Command. I've only seen it used once and it was an article 15 under UCMJ. Most of the time its just looked as "so what". Interesting enough, I found this but I would never use Wiki as a reliable source.

Adultery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the United States, laws vary from state to state. In those States where adultery is still on the statute books, even though they are rarely prosecuted, the penalties vary from life sentence (Michigan)[31], a fine of $10 in (Maryland), or a Class I felony in (Wisconsin) [32]. In the U.S. Military, adultery is a potential court-martial offense.[10] The enforceability of adultery laws in the United States has been / is being questioned following Supreme Court decisions since 1965 relating to privacy and sexual intimacy of consenting adults, in cases such as Lawrence v. Texas.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:31 AM

13 posts, read 8,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
This is all hearsay, drivel and nonsense. Having watched the entire press conference this morning that has now been confirmed. You can believe or disbelieve what was said, but Prejean handled herself magnificently and I am beyond disgusted with the way the media went after her about this.

This is happening time and time again in this new world we find ourselves. God help you if you voice your opinion and it isn't a liberal one. The media will do whatever it can to ride you out of town, out of the country if possible, on a rail.

The other way around? Not going to happen. And so it is political, it is very political.

She is a Christian, she is most definitely not a liar and there is no way on earth you can call her a hypocrite. She stood up for what she believes and she never backed down from that position. Good for her.

So many holier than thou people on this thread. We should only look into some of your backgrounds. Get over yourselves and move on. You didn't win this time.

Score one for freedom of speech paying off for a conservative viewpoint. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, I jump for joy.
You obviously did not read my other posts, before you went blabbing your mouth and stating your opinion. I didn't say a word about her answer to that question, I didn't say a word about it. That's her opinion, whatever. WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT is the fact that she called herself a Christian, and was posing semi nude with her **** and ass hanging out. AT 17 YEARS OLD. And apparently you don't know the facts, because she said there was only ONE in circulation and so far 3 have surfaced. She also signed a contract saying that she had never posed nude or semi nude in any photographs LIE. How can you honestly sit there and say that shes not a liar and a hypocrite? Are you blind and deaf? Stop sticking up for her because you don't believe in gay marriage. Look at the facts. LOOK AT THE FACTS PLEASE. She lied. It's a fact. She is a hypocrite, it's a fact. FACT NOT OPINION. And talk about the media favoring liberalism? HOW ABOUT FOX NEWS? You are just so quick to defend her because you have the same view points as she does, so you will do anything to ignore the facts, ANYTHING.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:42 AM

26,332 posts, read 49,324,574 times
More today in the WaPo, in the vein of how we listen, or not listen, to people who are attractive, or who don't fit society's stereotypes ...

Excerpt: " ... looks -- or more specifically, a disconnect over looks -- played a role in how people responded to Prejean. As much as people like to pretend that looks don't matter, there are archetypes ingrained in our subconscious about what certain kinds of people are supposed to look like. And we make assumptions all the time based on those archetypes. When they don't match up, sometimes the accompanying discombobulation can be a pleasant surprise. As when the boy in the baggy pants and bandana turns out to be smartest guy in the class. When the fashion victim announces she has a doctorate in physics. Or when the nerdy talent show contestant turns out to have the voice of a diva. ... "

Ms. Prejean spoke like "The Church Lady" from old SNL skits, but with fake breasts and nudie pix behaves more like a heathen Hollywood tramp. No wonder tongues are wagging . . . "Circus Americus" at it's best. P. T. Barnum is smiling.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-17-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies