Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
well I know senator larry craig has pushed for almost every family values legislation, hindering the rights of gays and lesbians working for the government... list goes on.. all while cruising the park behind my house for years when he's in boise.. Every media outlet other than the idahostatesman (boise newspaper) treated anyone who spoke out as "just an angry homosexual out to destroy a great man"
then to everyone's suprise he gets caught in a bathroom sex sting...
Its just so disgusting how so many groups of people because of their faith based agenda's or political agenda's refuse to even listen to anything said by the gay community.. It's completely apparent even in these forums.. People really want to get to the bottom of educating themselves on gay issues needs to and should actually ask gay people... this notion that they're driven by some conspiracy and agenda in so much that everything out of their mouth isn't worth considering is insulting.. and is part of the reason most gay people are militantly democrats... to be militant means you don't just disagree with the other side.. you want to see them destroyed you hate them so much.. and that sort of anger is rooted in a number of examples... which is why it will be tough at first.. but I think it is best for the republican party in the long run.. to shed the religious base.. and get on base with solving real issues of the day...
But you're assuming we care about "gay issues." I don't. I care about Boiseguy's issues, because your Boiseguy, not because you choose to put your genitalia in a different place then the majority of the population. As a conservative, I hate the fact that people feel the need to define themselves beyond their individual person.

True story: My dad's retired, he called me up one day and told me to find an organization that he could volunteer with. His English is good, not great, so I went online and found out about meals on wheels. I told him about them, and what they do and he said, good, go and fill out the application for me. So I went on line and filled out the MOW app, and it asked for my dad's race, and gave like 12 different options, and a space for other to be filled in. That made me so mad; why on earth is the race of a volunteer, even relevant? I turned it into humor however, and checked off other and then typed in HUMAN.

My point is, people have to stop putting labels on themselves and others, we're all a collection of individuals that comprise the whole. There is no such thing as a "Gay American." There are gays conservatives, gay liberals, gay men who are butch and love sports and cars, and gay men who sound like a purse fell out of their mouth as soon as they open it, gays for gay marriage and gays against gay marriage, pro life gays, and pro choice gays, so on and so forth. To define oneself simply based on where they put and what they do with their genitalia is short sighted and misses the point. Oh, and as far as gay being a choice; Morrissey, Anne Heche, Sheryll Swoopes have all admitted that they chose the gay lifestyle, so again, it depends with the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
that is probably part of the generational divide.. I talk about gay rights all the time.. because almost all of my friends and coworkers are in full support AND active in the gay rights movement.. with that said.. It isn't something that I have branded on my forehead either.. lol.. I think I feel very normal in promoting gay rights whenever I can.. because atleast the people i know and associate with are in step as well..
I don't have a lot of friends that are religious... I think I make them feel uncomfortable.. or something.. I don't know.. like I work with some religious people and we get along great..and even laugh about naughty jokes and things.. but when it comes down to calling each other up to go hang out outside of the work setting... no... I think people have boundaries.. and that's totally fine and I can respect that... I don't really try to figure it out anymore.. I realize that for the religious person.. it isn't always them not wanting to hang out with some homosexual.. but sometimes they feel that the homosexual wouldn't want to hang out with them... I am totally aware of the social divides in our society.. it's kind of sad though.. but unfortunately I can't really concern myself with thinking about it too much.. life's too short.. you meet people and you either click or you don't... trying to suss out everything usually will render you finding things you didn't want to know or hear.. so in order to keep the drama low..
it is what it is..
it certainly is interesting to watch the divide becoming smaller and smaller though...
eventually it will be history and something people look back on and consider silly.. because it is..

Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
But you're assuming we care about "gay issues." I don't. I care about Boiseguy's issues, because your Boiseguy, not because you choose to put your genitalia in a different place then the majority of the population. As a conservative, I hate the fact that people feel the need to define themselves beyond their individual person.
We're not all islands. Like it or not, there are sub-cultures in America; you can't ignore this fact. I understand your point, but there are Latino Republican groups, black Republican groups, Evangelical Christian Republican groups, and so on. People like to affiliate with others with common backgrounds and interests. You understand that, don't you?

We're all Americans, but we all also have characteristics and interests that make us unique. I don't understand the rules and restrictions that you want to place on how people identify themselves. If you don't want to call yourself anything unique, that's your right, but why do you think everyone else should do the same?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:23 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post

True story: My dad's retired, he called me up one day and told me to find an organization that he could volunteer with. His English is good, not great, so I went online and found out about meals on wheels. I told him about them, and what they do and he said, good, go and fill out the application for me. So I went on line and filled out the MOW app, and it asked for my dad's race, and gave like 12 different options, and a space for other to be filled in. That made me so mad; why on earth is the race of a volunteer, even relevant? I turned it into humor however, and checked off other and then typed in HUMAN.

My point is, people have to stop putting labels on themselves and others, we're all a collection of individuals that comprise the whole. There is no such thing as a "Gay American." There are gays conservatives, gay liberals, gay men who are butch and love sports and cars, and gay men who sound like a purse fell out of their mouth as soon as they open it, gays for gay marriage and gays against gay marriage, pro life gays, and pro choice gays, so on and so forth. To define oneself simply based on where they put and what they do with their genitalia is short sighted and misses the point. Oh, and as far as gay being a choice; Morrissey, Anne Heche, Sheryll Swoopes have all admitted that they chose the gay lifestyle, so again, it depends with the individual.
your opinion sounds very convincing.. except for the fact that it's easy to see how it is logical if you are a member of the majority...
using the gay issue... I don't know who wants to say or believes they chose being gay.. that is certainly their right and I certainly do believe some people have the capacity to choose sexualities..
Point is.. I'm an individual.. that happens to be a man, in a 5 year relationship with another man.. where I would like to be able to put him on my insurance, and would like him to recieve my social security should I pass away before him when we're retired...as well as be able to file our taxes jointly, and recieve the tax benefits other couples enjoy.. I would rightly never bring the issue of gay into the argument.. but it's kind of hard to avoid when you walk into the bank, insurance company, employer and provide the "name" of your spouse and it happens to be another male name..
You see, there aren't ways to be totally discreet and quiet about living my life.. because it's going to be in "everyone's face" no matter what I do..
Gays use to be quiet and discreet about living out their lives.. mainly because of societal pressures.. those days are gone.. so when I'm going to rent a house and the real estate agent blows me and my partner off because she doesn't believe in our "lifestyle"(two men looking for a one bedroom)
It becomes too much.. and you begin to realize everyone else is objecting and voicing themselves on the issue even if you remain silent.. and you begin to find a voice that says.. "I'm tired of being treated like this, and I refuse to be treated like this anymore"
if that's too in your face and labeling of myself.. I'm sorry.. to me it is merely an explaination of where I'm coming from...If you can't see that.. I don't know what to tell you.. I guess we'll just always be an agenda to you and other's who share your point of view.. all I can say is you're very much misguided
it's not an agenda.. it's my everyday life...

Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

who cares? gays are human beings too.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,276,662 times
Quote:
Stockholm Syndrome.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Stockholm Syndrome.
Liberal Intolerance. See, I can do it too.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
your opinion sounds very convincing.. except for the fact that it's easy to see how it is logical if you are a member of the majority...
using the gay issue... I don't know who wants to say or believes they chose being gay.. that is certainly their right and I certainly do believe some people have the capacity to choose sexualities..
Point is.. I'm an individual.. that happens to be a man, in a 5 year relationship with another man.. where I would like to be able to put him on my insurance, and would like him to recieve my social security should I pass away before him when we're retired...as well as be able to file our taxes jointly, and recieve the tax benefits other couples enjoy.. I would rightly never bring the issue of gay into the argument.. but it's kind of hard to avoid when you walk into the bank, insurance company, employer and provide the "name" of your spouse and it happens to be another male name..
You see, there aren't ways to be totally discreet and quiet about living my life.. because it's going to be in "everyone's face" no matter what I do..
Gays use to be quiet and discreet about living out their lives.. mainly because of societal pressures.. those days are gone.. so when I'm going to rent a house and the real estate agent blows me and my partner off because she doesn't believe in our "lifestyle"(two men looking for a one bedroom)
It becomes too much.. and you begin to realize everyone else is objecting and voicing themselves on the issue even if you remain silent.. and you begin to find a voice that says.. "I'm tired of being treated like this, and I refuse to be treated like this anymore"
if that's too in your face and labeling of myself.. I'm sorry.. to me it is merely an explaination of where I'm coming from...If you can't see that.. I don't know what to tell you.. I guess we'll just always be an agenda to you and other's who share your point of view.. all I can say is you're very much misguided
it's not an agenda.. it's my everyday life...
Excellent points, boise. I especially liked the point that even if we never talk about our sexual orientation, anti-gay forces will continue to speak out about it. What are we supposed to do - just sit silently?

The people who tell you that your sexual orientation should be a private matter are either people who don't understand why it can't be a private matter or they're just simply anti-gay and don't want to hear a word about the fact that you are gay.

They think it's just fine to talk about their spouses and significant others anytime they want, have weddings in public parks, and basically promote their heterosexuality, but if a gay person dares to say, "I am gay", then suddenly you're "throwing it in their faces" and they'll tell you that it should be "a private matter". Don't listen to them. Be happy and proud about who you are, and if they can't handle hearing the word "gay", then that's their problem, not yours.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
We're not all islands. Like it or not, there are sub-cultures in America; you can't ignore this fact. I understand your point, but there are Latino Republican groups, black Republican groups, Evangelical Christian Republican groups, and so on. People like to affiliate with others with common backgrounds and interests. You understand that, don't you?

We're all Americans, but we all also have characteristics and interests that make us unique. I don't understand the rules and restrictions that you want to place on how people identify themselves. If you don't want to call yourself anything unique, that's your right, but why do you think everyone else should do the same?
Respectful, well thought out, civil and articulate points. Rep point to you.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Stockholm Syndrome.
lol... Funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies