Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro-lifers - should the pill and Plan B be banned?
No, the pill and plan B should be legal and encouraged. 18 58.06%
Plan B should be banned, but the pill should not be. 10 32.26%
Both Plan B and the pill should be banned. 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
The pill also prevents implantation on the uterine wall.

No it doesn't. The pill tricks the woman's body into thinking it's already pregnant with hormones. Since the ovaries receive a hormonal signal that a pregnancy is underway, they don't release eggs. Plan-B prevents implantation of an already living embryo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:11 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,531,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I'm sorry, but you are one ignorant hypocrite.

I for one am not a monster. I support abortion. What's so wrong about that??
What's so wrong about sucking out babies' brains? That seems normal to you? It did to Dr. Mengele too.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:18 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Quote:
What's so wrong about sucking out babies' brains? That seems normal to you? It did to Dr. Mengele too.
I don't see the big deal about "sucking babies brains out". An abortion is an abortion.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No it doesn't. The pill tricks the woman's body into thinking it's already pregnant with hormones. Since the ovaries receive a hormonal signal that a pregnancy is underway, they don't release eggs. Plan-B prevents implantation of an already living embryo.
The Pill can also prevent implantation should it's other inhibitors fail. From one of many sources:

"The progestin in the Minipill may prevent ovulation; however it may not do this reliably each month. The Minipill works further by thickening the mucous around the cervix and preventing sperm from entering the uterus. The lining of the uterus is also affected in a way that prevents fertilized eggs from implanting into the wall of the uterus. "

How Does the Birth Control Pill Work?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:45 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
The reason that I support plan B although I am pro-life is that does practically the same thing as the pill. Plan B and the pill will not affect the embyro/fetus after implantation, and the embryo cannot even begin to develop until implantation.

IF it doesn't implant, it is incapable of growing into anything.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I'm not a leftoid, I am prolife and I voted that Plan B and the Pill as well as every other contraception out there is fine.
Does life begin at conception? Sure. Do we live in a world where 'accidents' happen and abortion whether legalized or not will continue to be practiced? Sure, again.
I am a pragmatist. I would much rather a zygote stop developing rather then an eighteen week fetus be murdered because the teen didn't 'know' she was pregnant. I mean, yes lets take the high road and proclaim all abortion bad. Hell, even most ardent prochoicers will admit that. But it does exist and has always existed. So instead of wrapping myself in my moral superiority on this issue I would prefer to limit the amount of abortions being performed, the amount of women and girls risking their future fertility and of course the lives of viable fetuses. And if that means the pill and plan B be handed out like f'ing halloween candy then so be it.
Call it moral triage, but the reality is what it is.

Your moral triage allows for cosmetic surgery. You can't have it both ways. It's a slippery slope. If Plan-B is OK then so is early abortion. And if early abortion is OK, so are later ones. If anything except conception is the point at which life begins then all bets are off. The pro-abortion people know that too. They understand they are murdering a child. It's just common sense. What else would it be if not a child? So if we go down this road then we get into T4 arguments about when is it a life worthy of the state's protection. Anytime we have people deciding who is and is not a person something bad will certainly come of it. The Nazis decided Jews were not persons along with Gypsies, Homosexuals and political enemies. We decided in 1973 that our nonpersons were those not yet born. If human life at any point of development is ever to be safe from the arbitrary, subjective and corruptible opinions of those who would benefit from other persons being classified as nonpersons, personhood must be bestowed at the point of conception and be revocable only upon that person's death.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
The Pill and Plan B are both abortifacients, so I don't understand how you are curbing abortions by using them.
The pill prevents conception. We covered this earlier.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
EEE - I'm not going to answer this in detail. But what I will say is that Plan B allows many abortions to be avoided. Banning Plan B would result in a dramatic increase in abortions -even if abortion was also banned.
Since the embryo is already alive, plan-b is abortion.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Since the embryo is already alive, plan-b is abortion.
Since it cannot grow unless/until implantation, I feel that something that causes it to not implant is completely different from abortion.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
The pill prevents conception. We covered this earlier.
See Post 34
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies