Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times

Advertisements

I read a few years that affirmative action was dead and organizations were going back to hiring people for their skills and talents instead of their race. What a dream.

Now that the Democrats are back in control it appears that the next Supreme Court Justice(s) need to be Hispanic Women. There seems to be no complaints in the media saying that instead they should select the most qualified person regardless of race and sex.

Why is it alright again to pick an affirmative action quota for the High Court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
AA should NOT be used in making SC appointments.

I'd love to see a female or Hispanic justice (assuming they are the best candidate), but the decision needs to be a gender- and color-blind one.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I read a few years that affirmative action was dead and organizations were going back to hiring people for their skills and talents instead of their race. What a dream.

Now that the Democrats are back in control it appears that the next Supreme Court Justice(s) need to be Hispanic Women. There seems to be no complaints in the media saying that instead they should select the most qualified person regardless of race and sex.

I find it fascinating that when only white men were being hired for positions (most more mundane than the Supreme Court), folks like you weren't complaining too strongly. The only reason you oppose affirmative action of any kind is that now, white men aren't the only group being considered. It has absolutely nothing to do with skills, talents or qualification. If that had been the case, America, either in corporations or government, would never have had a need for affirmative action.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Quote:
We did it for the presidency, why not the courts too? Lol.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
You're making it sound like all the nominees need to be hispanic women, but Sonia Sotomayor's the only one I know of. Diane Wood is not a hispanic woman, neither is Patrick Deval.

I love this argument that Obama should nominate the one single individual who has the best possible qualifications. Hahaha, if only life were so black and white, but I'm sorry, there's no such thing. It sounds like you want to give some sort of written exam, and the highest score gets the job.

It just doesn't work that way. The reality is: every time there's a SCOTUS opening there are always several extremely qualified people who could do the job. So qualifications alone can't be the basis for choosing a nominee.

Getting back to Sotomayor, IMO she does seem to have the inside track. Is it because she's hispanic? Partially, although I think it's her lower middle class background that matters more to Obama. He stated he wants someone with the appropriate judicial qualification as well as "empathy" for lower income Americans. One thing to remember, simply being hispanic does not mean you've had a lower income background. Many hispanic people have known nothing but privileged lifestyles.

By the way, here are my picks for all three of Obama's SCOTUS openings... and why I think they would be good choices:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...minations.html Who would you pick?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:24 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:

The Hispanic women that you happen to be moaning about are highly qualified to become the next SC justice. Save your pompous racist talk for another topic. It is insulting that you would suggest that they would just pick this person out of thin air b/c of her gender or her ethnicity. White ppl have had "affirmative action" for centuries with no moaning from your ppl. However do you think that George W got to be POTUS. He had more AA in his lifetime than white on rice.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:31 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times
The Sunday Morning Talk Show Hots all said that this job goes to a Hispanic. I am not making this up.

Every time someone talks about an issue where race is a consideration someone tries to shut them up by calling their point racist.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:36 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Whoever is the most qualified and will do the better job.

Race and gender should not play a role in this.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
The Sunday Morning Talk Show Hots all said that this job goes to a Hispanic. I am not making this up.
Who cares what "all" the Sunday Morning Talk Show Hosts say? That's like giving importance to some opinion you read in a city-data forum. And just become some talk show hosts say a job is going to go to a hispanic does not mean they are endorsing the idea of Obama basing his decision using affirmative action.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I remember one of Nixon's appointments being called mediocre, and a Nebraska senator said mediocrity should be represented too!

"Even if he were mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance? We can't have all Brandeises, Frankfurters and Cardozos."[1]

Roman Hruska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So much for "the best person for the job"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies