Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:31 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Is you're premise that Christians are zealots, and the GOP is only for Christians ? This is you're post in the gay republican thread.....(All of us except religious RW extremists welcome homosexuals just as we welcome everyone else. ). Evidently you already know the answer to you're own question. Just trolling trying to stir up a little anti-religious bigotry it seems.
No, I'm not. All I'm trying to do is question whether the Republican party is truly so much about religion and whether a significant number of Republicans are non-religious.

And don't call me anti-religious....I'm simply unwilling to have 100% faith and belief in something that cannot be proven. It cannot be proven whether there is or isn't a God and, thus, I've decided that the mystery is something I will have to live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No, I'm not. All I'm trying to do is question whether the Republican party is truly so much about religion and whether a significant number of Republicans are non-religious.

And don't call me anti-religious....I'm simply unwilling to have 100% faith and belief in something that cannot be proven. It cannot be proven whether there is or isn't a God and, thus, I've decided that the mystery is something I will have to live with.
The COUNTRY is about religion. Do you think if you were a Democrat you would be able to hide from it?

One of the funniest things about the dems on this board is their blind support for President Obama. I'm not anti-Obama by any means because I respect the office he holds, and that won't change. But the fact of the matter is, the dems on this particular forum love him because they think he's one of them. They conveniently ignore his opinions on issues such as gay marriage... If you didn't know, he's against it, and his reasons are religious-based. No matter how many times the dems here ignore it or try to deny it, that will still be the absolute truth.

America is still the greatest country in the world, and part of the reason is that almost all of us, Republicans and Democrats, do believe in GOD.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
The COUNTRY is about religion. Do you think if you were a Democrat you would be able to hide from it?

One of the funniest things about the dems on this board is their blind support for President Obama. I'm not anti-Obama by any means because I respect the office he holds, and that won't change. But the fact of the matter is, the dems on this particular forum love him because they think he's one of them. They conveniently ignore his opinions on issues such as gay marriage... If you didn't know, he's against it, and his reasons are religious-based. No matter how many times the dems here ignore it or try to deny it, that will still be the absolute truth.

America is still the greatest country in the world, and part of the reason is that almost all of us, Republicans and Democrats, do believe in GOD.
And our country was founded based on Christian principles. I believe it's part of the reason we're so great.

The dems on the forum do seem obsessive over Obama. It's quite amusing.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
And our country was founded based on Christian principles. I believe it's part of the reason we're so great.
Thats a dangerous thing to say here. A better way to put it is this country was founded on Judeo-Christian morals but not on the religion of Christianity. Most people of the era were Christians so thats why many Christian traditions have become so intertwined in American culture.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:50 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Where are you getting your opinions on what Republicans are..CNN? No Republican I know is a religous zealot.
As Bringthecontent says, nice try Lib.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
I'm a Republican and have come to the conclusion that I could best be described as agnostic rather than Christian. Is there any place for us non-zealots in the GOP?
Quote:
Nice try, lib. The only people who will be fooled by this are people who deserve to be fooled.
Well, there's the answer to your OP.... apparently just raising the question, makes you a "lib" to the zealots out there!

BTW, noticed some folks had a few good definitions of a non-zealot conservative. I understand about the "Jesus loves you (unless you're Mexican, a Muslim, a homo, a liberal, poor, or a sexually active woman)" conservatives. Aka, "social conservatives."

But setting aside the issues with the social conservatives, how do you reconcile the differences between some of the other kinds of conservatives, often equally, um, "passionate" in their beliefs:

1. The "I'm a member of the corporate master-class and I'll kill you and burn your house down if I have to in order to maintain the social order," conservatives. Also known as "economic conservatives."

2. The "I watch Fox News and I like Republicans because they take my tax money and give it to rich white people instead of poor black people" conservatives. Aka, "NASCAR conservatives."

3. The "if somebody doesn't do something pretty damn quick the UN will take our guns and our women will be forced to mate with mud people," conservatives. Aka, "libertarian conservatives."

To put it another way, isn't the problem more about militant "extremists", than about "religion"?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:

The dems on the forum do seem obsessive over Obama. It's quite amusing.
Based on that, what exactly are you hoping to learn in starting this thread?

I have no problem with the dems here smooching Obama all over the forum. When we point out his views on things like gay marriage, they ignore them. But we know they read them, and we know they're aware of them. Every last one of them has to leave this forum everyday knowing that they are living a lie. And this has nothing to do with the President, since he has been honest about his views. The dems who post here are the ones who only respond to the things they want to respond to, and they aren't fooling anyone.

So if you're not one of them, and if you do appreciate our country's values, what is it that you're looking for here?

If you really are with us, then you're already on the right track. Our values are right where they should be, and when you take a look at some of the people here who are against what this country does stand for, consider the sources and be glad you're not one of them.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Based on that, what exactly are you hoping to learn in starting this thread?

I have no problem with the dems here smooching Obama all over the forum. When we point out his views on things like gay marriage, they ignore them. But we know they read them, and we know they're aware of them. Every last one of them has to leave this forum everyday knowing that they are living a lie. And this has nothing to do with the President, since he has been honest about his views. The dems who post here are the ones who only respond to the things they want to respond to, and they aren't fooling anyone.

So if you're not one of them, and if you do appreciate our country's values, what is it that you're looking for here?

If you really are with us, then you're already on the right track.
I guess I am trying to learn in this thread whether most people feel it is possible to be a non-religious Republican.

I personally know many Republicans who are both Christian and non-Christian, but am trying to figure out whether a broader group of people views the GOP as the "Bible Party."

And yes I am with you, I'm not switching to the other side.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Thats a dangerous thing to say here. A better way to put it is this country was founded on Judeo-Christian morals but not on the religion of Christianity. Most people of the era were Christians so thats why many Christian traditions have become so intertwined in American culture.
You are correct. Most of our laws, for better or worse, are actually based on Judeo-Christian morals.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I guess I am at least trying to learn in this thread if most people feel it is possible to be a non-religious Republican.

I personally know many Republicans who are both Christian and non-Christian, but am trying to figure out whether a broader group of people views the GOP as the "Bible Party."

And yes I am with you, I'm not switching to the other side.
The Republican party is a microcosm of the country in general, which already makes us the better party in a two-party system. The Republican party believes in certain values, but welcomes everyone. The Democrats, as I'm sure you have seen on this forum, do not welcome anyone who disagrees with them even a little bit. If you haven't seen that, I will be more than happy to provide plenty of examples.

At the end of the day, the party that wellcomes everyone will be the group that gets things done. This isn't our time in this country right now, but when the other side gets it wrong, people will be begging us to get it right again. That's a job we will take seriously, and I hope you'll be with us when that time comes. It's always better to be part of the group that puts things up than to be part of the group that tears things down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies