Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is influenced more by religious beliefs?
Republicans 39 67.24%
Democrats 4 6.90%
Both the Same 15 25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
Hey, I'm an atheist (people, it's spelled atheist, not athiest) and would vote for a Christian: Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin, Bob Barr!!!!
Wow..

I'm speechless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:36 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
I'd challenge that. The turnout of blacks was significantly higher than in previous elections and some of those blacks changed parties to vote. Though blacks vote Democrat at a very high rate, I believe it increased 10% during the 2008 elections. There was obviously a racial motivation for some blacks.
The jewish vote for Obama was over 70% as well.The black vote alone didn't get him in.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Have you missed the party going out of its way to undermine Jews and promote Palestinians who democratically voted in a terrorist organization to head their country?

That'd be great if we wren't dealing with animals. Kowtowing to terrorists just emboldens them in their cause. They see the Great Satan, now led by Obama, is submitting to Muslims (bowing to the king of Saudi), which means that in their minds, they are make advances. If they stay true to their cause they will only make America submit more, or so they think.
Just like Iraq,the Saudi gov't as well as the Canadian one is different then ours.When 9/11 happened Saudi Arabia and Libya were 2 of the first countries to offer help and Saudi Arabia even offered a check which Giuliani declined.It's okay to be allies with them because like most other countries money is their great motivator.We also aren't submitting to muslims,we just have someone in power who is willing to hear them out, which is known as a negotiator not a tyrant like Georgie Boy.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I cannot speak for the Koran but the Bible (OT or NT) can be quite complicated and merely reading them will not give you the full message.

There is significantly more to the NT than "updating" and revising the OT to something palatable.

That brings a NT verse to mind "demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."

I haven't researched enough to figure out if the Bible says that God is a part of every incident on Earth but if you presume there is a divine being capable of creating the entire universe, I'd think he'd be capable of acting on every little happening on Earth.

But it's not plain English. It's very much more than plain English. I've been studying it (though not always actively) for my entire adult life and a good portion of my childhood and I'm still elarning things.

You couldn't pick up a high-level physics book and expect to understand it if you read it word for word, front to back unless you had lots of previous training on physics and even then you wouldn't get it all the first few times you read it. The Bible is similar though I'd say even more difficult.

Sure, but what does the sinner have to do with the "Law"? The standard of the Bible is perfection yet humans are imperfect. Of course they're going to drop the ball. Moreso, there are plenty of "false teachers" and "false prophets" who claim to be Christians and are anything but. And this is what disturbs me about your "plain english" reading of the Bible. Those ideas are in there and yet you seem completely ignorant of them.

So you are saying that all clergy are like that? Also, while we may be spokesmen for God, His Word is the final authority and everyone has access to it so as to confirm what the man in the pulpit is doing is consistent with what God tells him to do.

More power to you but it's obvious your "plain english" reading of the Bible needs serious work if you're going to make an educated decision on its merits.
When you read alot of the prayer books it's mostly like reading OLD ENGLISH.You usually get the idea but when read a few times you really start to understand it.As for the bible you can't compare math or science because they are mostly based on formulas whereas the bible is pretty straight forward.I understand it well as a highly intelligent individual but disagree with a ton of it as someone even smarter.There are little things that can be missed but the general meanings are BLATANTLY obvious.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:37 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
who are the 3 idiots that voted for democrats. lol

Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
who are the 3 idiots that voted for democrats. lol
Click on the number 3.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Click on the number 3.
I just clicked on it. And why am I not surprised to see the names there...

Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 PM

154 posts, read 154,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Wow..

I'm speechless.
Openly atheists don't have a chance in hell of getting elected. Practically every politician has some sort of religion. What scares me are the neoconservative and liberal BIG GOV politicians who don't give a rat's ass for the Constitution or civil liberty. Today people of color, homosexuals, or even some neoliberal born in Africa who snorts cocaine and inhales can become president - atheists still not accepted.

http://www.infowars.com

Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
Openly atheists don't have a chance in hell of getting elected. Practically every politician has some sort of religion. What scares me are the neoconservative and liberal BIG GOV politicians who don't give a rat's ass for the Constitution or civil liberty. Today people of color, homosexuals, or even some neoliberal born in Africa who snorts cocaine and inhales can become president - atheists still not accepted.

http://www.infowars.com
I doubt a homosexual could become president for probably another 20 years.

And don't act like Obama is the only president who has used drugs in the past.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
politicians are not influenced by religion anymore than rats are influenced by rat traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies