U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:07 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,261,320 times

Advertisements

I guess I had my blinders on, I had always assumed that the "Right-Left" split of Americans was a media generated thing, an issue of paying attention to the extremes on either end and ignoring the middle majority. Though this area is decidedly "Liberal" I've always found people to be quite reasonable and centrist on a person to person basis.

Then I discovered these forums. I happened upon them by accident and was immediately taken aback by the extreme "them vs. us" "Right vs. Left" discussions and arguments.

It seems like there can't be a single topic on any subject with out soem remark about "Liberals" or whatever, it's very discouraging.

I thought maybe it was just in the VERMONT forums, but after sampling a few other states, I must say I am disappointed to see SO MANY people be so wracked with hate for their fellow Americans simply for having different views then them. The amount of antagonistic, inaccurate generalizations was very off-putting.

{sigh} Do Americans really hate EACH OTHER this much?

Then again, maybe I'm just letting leedspaddy's ranting get to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 03:47 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,555,686 times
I would have to say for the majority of folks I know it's not really an issue of outright hate, rather it's of frustration. Most folks are hard working and accountable. When it comes to finances for example responsibility entails you live within your means and you budget your expenses on essentials. In Vt it sure does appear we are bombarded on a regular basis with a government that routinely lives beyond it's means and regards its citizens as having deep pockets. Another aspect involves stances and actions on issues. I feel the level of frustration could be greatly reduced if we could so to speak get our house in order on the real day to day issues which actually impact the population at large and then once that is done time could be dedicated toward the multitude of popular causes. I guess an oversimplified version would be like when you were a kid and had homework assignments which had to be done and you opted to dedicate your time instead to other tasks of more personal interest sacrificing the quantity and quality of work which needed to be done.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,651,658 times
Good news: a certain ranter on this board with the initials LP will be moving to the Boston area soon!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:00 PM

15,584 posts, read 38,062,980 times
Mainly I notice that everyone hates Californians and blames them for the economy and everything else. Nobody takes responsinility for their own actions or their own lack of information, education or knowledge. We Cali's are people (and AMERICANS!!!) just like everybody else. We want the same things as everyone else - good schools for our kids, safe places to live, reasonably priced homes, etc.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM

198 posts, read 761,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Mainly I notice that everyone hates Californians and blames them for the economy and everything else. Nobody takes responsinility for their own actions or their own lack of information, education or knowledge. We Cali's are people (and AMERICANS!!!) just like everybody else. We want the same things as everyone else - good schools for our kids, safe places to live, reasonably priced homes, etc.
Where did that come from?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 PM

15,584 posts, read 38,062,980 times
It came from the category of being divided!!!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 PM

198 posts, read 761,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
I would have to say for the majority of folks I know it's not really an issue of outright hate, rather it's of frustration. Most folks are hard working and accountable. When it comes to finances for example responsibility entails you live within your means and you budget your expenses on essentials. In Vt it sure does appear we are bombarded on a regular basis with a government that routinely lives beyond it's means and regards its citizens as having deep pockets. Another aspect involves stances and actions on issues. I feel the level of frustration could be greatly reduced if we could so to speak get our house in order on the real day to day issues which actually impact the population at large and then once that is done time could be dedicated toward the multitude of popular causes. I guess an oversimplified version would be like when you were a kid and had homework assignments which had to be done and you opted to dedicate your time instead to other tasks of more personal interest sacrificing the quantity and quality of work which needed to be done.
Very well said!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:43 AM

14,077 posts, read 20,318,605 times
Well this is the political forum - so the subject is POLITICS! The nature of this particular forum just attracts people with extreme opinions on both sides of the issue. If you read carefully 90% of the comments can be summed up as "I hate Bush" (or, if you will, "I hate Clinton") and add little to the debate at hand. It's like some emotional release thing.

I think this right-left thing is both a media and political party generated thing. Both media and politicians spin the facts, get people excited and upset. The truth is most people, even politicians, agree on more issues than they disagree with and even with the issues they disagree with it's usually in the issue of methods of accomplishing a particular goal, not the goal itself.

Also the truth is most people don't even discuss politics with neighbors or friends or coworkers in real time, I don't. In day to day activities, for the most part, it doesn't factor in my life.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:52 AM

10,194 posts, read 25,586,574 times
This thread was moved from the Vermont Forum--so I'd put the OP's remarks into that context.

I'm running--but will get back to this very important subject. Thanks for bringing it up--in this way, today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Well this is the political forum - so the subject is POLITICS! The nature of this particular forum just attracts people with extreme opinions on both sides of the issue. If you read carefully 90% of the comments can be summed up as "I hate Bush" (or, if you will, "I hate Clinton") and add little to the debate at hand. It's like some emotional release thing.

I think this right-left thing is both a media and political party generated thing. Both media and politicians spin the facts, get people excited and upset. The truth is most people, even politicians, agree on more issues than they disagree with and even with the issues they disagree with it's usually in the issue of methods of accomplishing a particular goal, not the goal itself.

Also the truth is most people don't even discuss politics with neighbors or friends or coworkers in real time, I don't. In day to day activities, for the most part, it doesn't factor in my life.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:57 AM

1,247 posts, read 773,516 times
The federal government is using the divide and conquer strategy on it's own people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies