Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:23 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,578,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
If you want to make more money, work for it. Nobody should feel sorry for you because you don't make enough. The majority of the wealthy have worked very hard for their money and have created tons of jobs.

The people that want the rich to pay more are envious and feel that people should pay more, just because they can, regardless of how hard they worked.

It's pathetic and it's nothing more than class envy.

Just don't p*** and moan when you're fired because your boss has to pay higher taxes and can't turn a profit anymore.
How much tax you pay has NOTHING to do with how hard you work...

There are plenty of poor who work harder than many rich folks do...

Using the old 'class envy' sidestep - hmmm??? Guess you're a Hannity and Limbaugh listener...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 PM

298 posts, read 714,697 times
So, do you support a flat tax (with maybe an exemption for a certain amount of income) or do you support taxing people who earn more at a higher rate?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:40 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,409,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
How would raising taxes on the rich result in me becoming "lazy?" My job duties are dictated by my employer, not the tax code. You're not making any sense.

I don't leech off of others, but if I did, that would be between me and them. Again, irrelevant to the tax code and nonsensical.

And I'll add, if any of you in the top bracket are so concerned about the tax rate, I'll gladly trade places with you. My $50k job for your $250k job. Whaddaya say?

Oh yeah, that must be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
How much tax you pay has NOTHING to do with how hard you work...

There are plenty of poor who work harder than many rich folks do...

Using the old 'class envy' sidestep - hmmm??? Guess you're a Hannity and Limbaugh listener...
I'm guessing that you're of the belief that you're dealt a hand and you have no choice how to play it?

I wasn't handed a thing, but I made myself very successful. No assistance. Many of us did.

People can be hard workers, but many don't aspire to anything.

Handouts won't change anything. Poverty is a mindset in this country. It's not a financial issue.

That's why most that win the lottery go broke within a few years.

If you want to make more, you can. You're the only person stopping yourself.

It's class envy. Plain and simple.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,242,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Implement a Fairfax or a flat tax.

The point is, is that the top tax payers STILL pay a higher rate! They continue to pay nearly 40% of all income taxes. 1% pays 40%. Guess that just not fair enough because they can EASILY afford it? Ha. More class warfare. yippy
Explain cause that does not make sense to me. How will they pay the same rate on a flat tax?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,151,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'm guessing that you're of the belief that you're dealt a hand and you have no choice how to play it?

I wasn't handed a thing, but I made myself very successful. No assistance. Many of us did.

People can be hard workers, but many don't aspire to anything.

Handouts won't change anything. Poverty is a mindset in this country. It's not a financial issue.

That's why most that win the lottery go broke within a few years.

If you want to make more, you can. You're the only person stopping yourself.

It's class envy. Plain and simple.
You can tell these people this over and over and over again and they will simply never get it.

Its a never ending cycle of blaming others and worrying about how much money the other people are making with them.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,614,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
You can tell these people this over and over and over again and they will simply never get it.

Its a never ending cycle of blaming others and worrying about how much money the other people are making with them.
A quote from Robert Reich's Blog May 5th entry (www.robertreich.blogspot.com):

"As I’ve noted before, as recently as 1980, the richest 1 percent of Americans took home about 9 percent of total national income. But since then, income has concentrated in fewer and fewer hands. By 2007, the richest 1 percent took home 22 percent of total national income.

This trend cannot be sustained, either morally, economically, or politically."

Saying that people are complaining for nothing, or that this is class-envy, is ludicrous...

The rich have been astronomically enriched during the Reagan/BushI/BushII administrations... at the expense of the middle-class primarily... that cannot be disputed...

It is time that we go back to at least the Clinton tax rates - and a more civilized income distribution...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,726,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post

"As I’ve noted before, as recently as 1980, the richest 1 percent of Americans took home about 9 percent of total national income. But since then, income has concentrated in fewer and fewer hands. By 2007, the richest 1 percent took home 22 percent of total national income.

Saying that people are complaining for nothing, or that this is class-envy, is ludicrous...

The rich have been astronomically enriched during the Reagan/BushI/BushII administrations... at the expense of the middle-class primarily... that cannot be disputed...

It is time that we go back to at least the Clinton tax rates - and a more civilized income distribution...
Yeah but it's all stimulus. The more money they have to spend the more stimulus they create.
Or does that only apply when it's a Democrat?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,151,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post

Expense? Of The Middle Class? I hate to break it to you, but rich (investors and owners of capital) people basically create the middle class.

Rich people create jobs when they create and invest in new businesses

Rich people make up the bulk of America's tax base (meaning if you work for the government they pay your salary.

Rich people donate BILLIONS of dollars to charities every year.

Ever hear of Bill Gates? That's just one rich guy and his yearly charity budget alone is the size a small countries GDP.

If anything, raising taxes on the rich is uncivilized. Its bad for everyone involved, because the rich will simply leave or invest somewhere else.

Class envy is all it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies