Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
but without the bike, the job of replacing the tire doesn't exist.
I'm really scratching my head on this. What is your point?
Quote:
I bet your bike was made in china too.
Harleys are made in the US.
Quote:
mine was made in arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
So, your solution for lawbreakers is to let them be, because they're just going to do it anyway?
You seem to be ignoring the fact that he is contemplating a change in the current law so that something they do LEGALLY now will suddenly be illegal. You have no issue with that?

Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You seem to be ignoring the fact that he is contemplating a change in the current law so that something they do LEGALLY now will suddenly be illegal. You have no issue with that?
No, I have no issue with closing loopholes.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,493 times
HAHA! you goofball! I thought you meant a bike. didn't know you meant a motorcycle. I was talking about my mountain bike. I was shocked when I saw that most of the mountain bikes at the bike store were made in china. I had to order mine from a custom frame builder in AZ and build it myself part by part.

Quote:
I'm really scratching my head on this. What is your point?

Harleys are made in the US.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
HAHA! you goofball! I thought you meant a bike. didn't know you meant a motorcycle. I was talking about my mountain bike. I was shocked when I saw that most of the mountain bikes at the bike store were made in china. I had to order mine from a custom frame builder in AZ and build it myself part by part.
Goofball? Though "motorcyclist" is sometimes used, "biker" is the preferred term.

Regardless, my point stands. I, the customer, created the job, not Reno H-D.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Goofball? Though "motorcyclist" is sometimes used, "biker" is the preferred term.

Regardless, my point stands. I, the customer, created the job, not Reno H-D.
No, that's not true. H-D exists for the purpose of making motorcycles and selling them at a profit. Since they are offered for sale, you choose to buy one. If no one was making motorcycles, you probably wouldn't go out looking for someone to create one for you. You'd simply accept that motorcycles don't exist, or are no longer made, and you'd spend that money on something else. Perhaps a mountain bike.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No, that's not true. H-D exists for the purpose of making motorcycles and selling them at a profit. Since they are offered for sale, you choose to buy one. If no one was making motorcycles, you probably wouldn't go out looking for someone to create one for you. You'd simply accept that motorcycles don't exist, or are no longer made, and you'd spend that money on something else. Perhaps a mountain bike.
The economy is a huge circle of decisions. Trying to assign "job creation" to one person or another is a fallacy that ignores the way these decisions are made.

I could simply turn your argument around and state that bikes wouldn't be offered for sale if no one chose to buy them. In reality, this is closer to the truth, as companies hire and fire based on budgets, which are projections of sales.

As to my point, the job order to replace my back tire was initiated by me alone. Reno H-D had nothing to do with that decision. It was my decision, and my decision alone that created that job.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:58 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
"President Barack Obama on Monday will propose changing provisions in the tax code that he says encourage U.S. companies to move jobs overseas, as part of a broader package aimed at saving $210 billion over 10 years. U.S. officials said that in an announcement planned for 11:05 EDT (1505 GMT), Obama will seek to follow through on a campaign promise to change the tax treatment of American firms with overseas operations." Source

This will be interesting.....

I like this line, "saving $210 billion over 10 years," it really tells you about their mindset in Washington. They believe all our money and wealth belongs to the federal government, and any time they let us keep some, some how they are losing money.

Let's take GM for example, if they lose money building cars in America because of the union sink hole of pension and benefits, but they make a profit building and selling cars in other countries, this ended up keeping jobs afloat in America. If 0bama adds a new tax on GM, by double taxing them on overseas operations, and GM is already drowning in debt..... I think it may be - good bye to GM altogether.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
"President Barack Obama on Monday will propose changing provisions in the tax code that he says encourage U.S. companies to move jobs overseas, as part of a broader package aimed at saving $210 billion over 10 years. U.S. officials said that in an announcement planned for 11:05 EDT (1505 GMT), Obama will seek to follow through on a campaign promise to change the tax treatment of American firms with overseas operations." Source

This will be interesting.....
"Interesting" is an understatement. I can't wait for all the corporate fat cats to start whining that this will force them to move out of the United States. (I hope they don't get hit in the a$$ by the door on the way out!) Just imagine how many jobs will be created when they've all got to be replaced.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:22 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,757 times
People putting political affiliation before allegiance to their country, and people putting their personal
financial interests before allegiance to their country's welfare: This from the party that claimed patriotism as their bailiwick alone for decades. The saying "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"
is more valid than one might have expected in a democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies