Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
When a parent has to explain why rainbows are on the bumpers of cars, hanging from houses, draped out of windows - I would say that the symbolism is being used in a public way in order to make the association between rainbow and homosexuality. Children see it, have questions. And are in turn desensitized by the symbolism of the flag and draw a correlation between homosexuality+childhood iconography=something positive, natural, wholesome, normal. That means to make children comfortable with homosexuality.
Let us hope that we are passing on a positive, accepting attitude and teaching them to embrace others differences. I am sad to see that you are part of the problem LuckyGem...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 AM

207 posts, read 243,334 times
Quote:
Example: A Rainbow.

The rainbow is a symbol of hope. Children draw and associate all things as good and positive and hopeful with the rainbow.

When was the rainbow appropriated by the homosexual community as their international symbol and why?

Was it done as a deliberate action by the homosexual community in order that children unconsciously associate "rainbow" + "person using it" = positive?

Is this symbol being used to spread an unconscious psychological message and engender a response for children?

I have seen the rainbow symbol on flags, bumper stickers, t-shirts, buttons, etc. When children see these things they associate the rainbow with something fun and innocent. Are homosexuals fun and innocent? Should a child's mind be subjected to unconscious psychological cues at such an early age? Babies play with rainbow toys in the crib, they draw rainbow pictures as children - then they see the "rainbow people" and the seed was already planted before they could speak.

But I remember there was a time when I wore rainbow suspenders like Mork from Ork - and NOBODY called me "gay". I don't think a teen would wear rainbow suspenders in 2009, because if someone wears anything with a rainbow motif in 2009 - they're assumed to be gay.

I suppose nobody has wondered about this except me.

Maybe we should think about it.

To me the rainbow symbolizes equality. That there can be many different people just like there are many different colors in the rainbow, but when we learn to accept and respect each other then society can be beautiful, just like a rainbow. Is this corney?...yeah it is...but true. That said I am a lesbian and I own a great deal of rainbow items as well as have three tattoos that are done in rainbow. Also gay people are lots of fun, and children should grow up knowing that gay people exist and being accepting of it.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You didn't answer my question.

When did the homosexual community begin to use the "rainbow" flag as it's symbol and why.

It had to be after 1978.

I think it was exactly 1978 when Gilbert Baker desigened the rainbow flag for use as a pride symbol

Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybubbly View Post
I surely don't know the answer to your question, but I do understand what you have said. I have a 2 yr old son who face lights up when he see's a rainbow, but I think it's all in how you raise your kids, and what you teach them. Please know my son will know what the gay rainbow symbolizes as well as the regular 5 color rainbow is as well. People should know or atleast think about the effects their actions have on others. Everything has a cause and effect.

I've never heard of a five color rainbow before.

A normal rainbow (that occurs in the sky) is seven colors:
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Roy G. Biv (how I remembered it when I was a kid)

The normal pride rainbow that occurs on pride flags and such generally only has six colors.

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple.....No indigo.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I said SYMBOLS. Imagery.

Oh my goodness!!! I so want one of those rainbow flags that ends in a flame that's so cool! Except I'd have to find one with women symbols at the top.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
A child who has no knowledge of what "gay" is plays with rainbow toys and draws rainbows and loves the colors. Children react to the rainbow colors very positively.

When they are old enough to RECOGNIZE the rainbow flag and stickers and they see that the rainbow is ASSOCIATED with a particular LIFESTYLE that people practice. The child SUBCONSCIOUSLY associates the rainbow and people with something AUTOMATICALLY POSITIVE without understanding WHY!

They can't make up their own minds about it because they've been surrounded by subconscious cues their entire young lives with regard to the symbolism associated with the RAINBOW FLAG.

Yeah I don't think it was the rainbows that made me think homosexuality was a positive thing... I'm pretty sure it was the fact that girls are so purty!

Side note I was dating girls before I understood that there was a connection between rainbows and homosexuality. *shrugs*

Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokenwordfan View Post
I think it was exactly 1978 when Gilbert Baker desigened the rainbow flag for use as a pride symbol
Look up Post #92 on this thread.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, yes, young children are increasingly becoming more and more aware of the gay agenda. Just the other day a female friend of mine was approached by her 6 year old son who asked why "Tommy" has two dads and no mother. Kids are more perceptive than you would like to acknowledge, it seems. Unfortunately, my friend was forced into a conversation that never should have taken place in the first place. I don't know her exact words, but from what I can tell, she avoided subjecting her son to a concept that is simply not, and shouldn't be, comprehensible to a child.

Most boys marry girls so most kids have a mommy and a daddy, but sometimes a boy marries a boy or a girl marries a girl so some kids end up with two mommies or two daddies.....WOW yeah REALLY hard concept to explain to a kid... How traumatizing!! *eye roll*

Side note...I work at a day care...came in in the middle of a book another teacher was reading and had to take over reading so that teacher could go to her classroom....didn't know that the book was a true story about the gay penguins at a California Zoo (it was penguin week). And it talked about how these two male penguins bonded with each other and put a rock in their nest and tried to hatch it as all the other penguin couples hatched their eggs. Finnally the zookeeper put an abandoned egg in their nest and they hatched it and raised it together. Well I had a kid say "...but they were both boys"...and I said "yeah two boys together happens sometimes" and they said "oh okay"....and that was the ONLY comment I heard on the subject.... kids are much more accepting than adults...simple explantions are all they need.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Maybe they believe in promoting safe sex to their customers, many of whom may be gay. Condoms aren't illegal. If you don't like a business, then you protest by not patronizing that business.

I for one vote that ALL businesses have condom bowls!...Actually it's one of my best ideas....we can combat unwanted pregnancy and obesity at the same time by replacing all candy dishes with condom dishes!...I think it's brilliant!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
If it's a shop that's open for business... why would you discriminate against OTHER CUSTOMERS by presenting yourself as supporting A PARTICULAR GROUP?

That's discrimination.

Gays do it all the time.

Other groups do it as well. Ever go by a store that has a sign in a language you can't read? They don't want your business there if you can't read the sign.

How is having a condom bowl on the counter discriminating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies