Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
As for Africa. Well I think the Africa you see today is largely the product of the political and economic approaches taken by it's post colonial leaders. I'am of the view that had the majority of Africa's post colonial leaders had chosen some brand of capitalism combined with a democratic gov't instead of the state run,one-party states too many chosed then those countries would be largely prosperous today.
And the African nations that were left by their colonisers with a stable political infrastructure did make that choice. I think that if you examine history, you'll find the condition of African nations today correlates highly with the conditions upon which they were left by their colonisers.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Three pages until the race card was played. I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the civility on this board, until now. You're last question is incoherent at best, and liberal pc pablum at worst. No one alive today has every remotely endured the horrors of slavery.
"Race card" on a thread about slavery... how could such a thing happen?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
Morally it was pretty terrible but economically imperialist actions usually work out for one party (US, Europe) and crumble another (Africa)

Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Race card" on a thread about slavery... how could such a thing happen?

Touche'

LOL

Ken

Old 05-04-2009, 11:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Just imagine where we might be today if mankind had harnessed steam power in the first century AD.

Ken
Now that is interesting!

You've got me searching for Romans and steam power!!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now that is interesting!

You've got me searching for Romans and steam power!!
Yup, look it up. It's pretty interesting. They harnessed steam to power an automatic door opener - but then the idea just faded away.

Your post though does touch upon one of the favorite discussion subjects of mine - and that's the irony that the Spanish - who seized New World colonies that were rich with gold and silver - somehow ended up wasting all that wealth, while the English - who's colonies were relatively poor - were forced by circumstances to to actually DEVELOP their colonies rather than just exploit them.

On the face of things it would seem that Spain got the "better deal" but the fact is, all that fast easy wealth led Spain down a path of "live fast and die young" while England was forced to move slowly but more deliberately towards a long-term sustainable set of colonies. In the end, England proved to be far better off. Once the easy wealth was gone from the Spanish colonies, they found they had blown their chance.

Ken

Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
um, what the hell are you talking about? I didn't suggest anything, especially not anything "racist." my answer to your question is no, I have not thanked any black people for things their great great great great great great great great great grandparents did, nor have I thanked any white people either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Great display of racism
why doesn't anybody ask this about descendants of europeans?

Your question implies that black people in the US are not full citizens (little racist) and should be thankful to be here.

My question to you:
How many times have you thanked a black person for all the blood, sweat and hard work to get paid with a bowl of food for us to have the greatest country in the World?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
this is a question that is sure to anger some. we should check out the pros and cons. if we had never had slavery, we would have a black population around 2% or so. that might have led to much less racial tension in the US. it might have been better for africa as well, as brilliant minds like george washington carver would have never left.

what would the US look like if we had never had african slaves, and what would africa look like today if we had not stolen their brilliant minds?
Slavery, indentured servitude, serfs, the peasant class, all are unacceptable by today's standards, but that was the way societies were, all over the world, before and during the 1700s. The native Americans, the entire continent of Europe, Asia, the Mid East, even the African continent, they all practiced various forms of forced servitude, slavery, serfdom etc...

Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Slavery, indentured servitude, serfs, the peasant class, all are unacceptable by today's standards, but that was the way societies were, all over the world, before and during the 1700s. The native Americans, the entire continent of Europe, Asia, the Mid East, even the African continent, they all practiced various forms of forced servitude, slavery, serfdom etc...
Yup.
And the realization that such practices were wrong is one of the primary things that came out of the Age of Enlightenment in late 1700's - along with the basic ideas of Representative Constitutional government, Democracy and Freedom. It was this age that crafted men like the Founding Fathers - and thus gave rise to our country. Of course not everyone became "enlightened" at once - and even many of the Founding Fathers (who were as "enlightened" a collection of man as could be found anywhere on earth at the time) still owned slaves - though some - like Washington and Jefferson - clearly knew it was wrong and obviously struggled internally over the issue. They knew slavery was wrong, but they were not quite willing to give their slaves up - since slaves were a considerable part of their wealth (one upon which their livelihood depended).

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-05-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 09:01 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
Anytime someone says "well, Africans from the continent sold slaves as well", that's basically saying, "well, the car I bought was hot, but the guys selling it around there buy hot cars all the time, so I wasn't the only one."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies