Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

YouTube - Barack Obama & the DC School Voucher Program

This is an excellent video of a mother (obama supporter) asking the question; How could he let this program be cut? These are the very kids that need programs like this.

It's just heartbreaking.
God, it must be cold in hell! I actually agree with you on something! The program should be fully funded without delay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
God, it must be cold in hell! I actually agree with you on something! The program should be fully funded without delay.

Welcome to the dark side!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Why, those parents are asking?

For Change.

Change they can believe in, Change they fought for.

Enjoy the DC schools. They will certainly be a Change.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
I voted for and supported Obama.
I am a retired teacher and have many teachers in my family.
I am a strong supporter of unions.
AND I AGREE THAT THIS WAS A FOOLISH AND TERRIBLY WRONG DECISION. PUT THE CHILDREN FIRST. FUND THE VOUCHER SYSTEM FOR D.C.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
I'm a Democrat and I'm in favor of Congress continuing this charter school experiment, but the fact of the matter is that it isn't producing much in the way of measurable benefits. By any objective measure of effective government programs, this thing would be cut. I think it's a small cost and an opportunity to try innovative approaches to education, so I'd be in favor of funding it for another 5 years or so to see if these schools can actually improve on the education provided by the public schools, but so far they haven't produced much demonstrable evidence.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
but the fact of the matter is that it isn't producing much in the way of measurable benefits. By any objective measure of effective government programs, this thing would be cut.
How do you come by this opinion?

As you can see from the video, according to obama programs would be cut based on if they were working or not - clearly, this program is working.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Please note - many DEMOCRATS are also "heartbroken" - especially the parents, such as the one in the video, a Democrat, who felt the program was good for her child.

I have to assume that the President is not concerned about quality of education -
Nope, that's the "change" you really can believe in.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,156 times
Barry owns this one but the left has been against choice all along. They want to decide where, when and how your kids get their "education".

It works well for the gubmint as you can tell by the lack of basic understanding of economics we see right here on this forum.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How do you come by this opinion?

As you can see from the video, according to obama programs would be cut based on if they were working or not - clearly, this program is working.
There have been objective measurements of the progress in these charter schools compared to DC public schools, which are not producing acceptable results. The comparisons indicate no improvement in math skills at all and only 3-4 month improvement in reading skills -- i. e. the equivalent of sending the students to a summer school session. More troubling was that among the groups of students most at risk, there wasn't even that level of improvement.

A made for PR testimonial is just that, a made for PR testimonial.

This program was sold by the Republicans in Congress as a program to "save our failing public schools." By that measure this program is a failure. I'd keep trying, but let's not kid ourselves about the results to date.

And another point. This is Congressional action, not the President.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
A made for PR testimonial is just that, a made for PR testimonial.
Where is that objective report? Can you supply the link to your statement?

Even a 3-4 month improvement would be considered a success, in light of what these kids have to face in the DC schools - I doubt though that your interpretation is accurate.

Quote:
And another point. This is Congressional action, not the President.
No. Directly from obama's own man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies