Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,470,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So tell me what I said was anti-American?
I pay taxes to the US and will certainly criticize my country when I see something wrong with it, and with the fools that want to impose US policies on other countries.
Do you whine when the US refuses to admit people to its shores?
What would you say if other countries that have no problem with other issues such as gay marriage whine all over the world that they're being wronged by US policies?
Try some critical thinking.
Your Anti-American remark was here:

Quote:
The Brits are not out killing people on their soil as the US chooses to do,
And yes I would object if the US kept out anyone whose speech they found "offensive" based on the terrifying prospect they may express an objectionable idea. I'm surprised you would cite the US keeping John Lennon out as justification for the UK's actions. As an "aging hippie" I thought you would have agreed with me that that was wrong as well.

As for Gay marriage, how many of the world's nations recognize that? Nice try, but not relevant.

As for "imposing US policies on other countries" My belief is that freedom of speech is a god given universal human right - not a US policy. I guess you don't agree. I hate seeing a country with a rich history of debate and the free exchange of ideas lowering itself to this. I'd expect this kind of tripe from the EU burueacracy or maybe one of the continental gov'ts, but not the UK. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
The whole point of the thread is useless. Like many of the threads here on city data, it's long on opinion but short on facts.

Back to the original point of the thread; The UK home office actually banned a number of individuals. Radical Muslims included - almost half the people on the list in fact. So people here can stop playing the "i'm a white male republican everybodies against me!" angle.
Just because any old idiot can spew ignorance and hatred in their own country, it doesn't mean they should be welcomed with open arms into others. Different countries, different rules.
I always thought Brits were up for a good debate. When did they become so sensitive to words and ideas they could'nt stand up, debate and show up a fool like Savage for the moron he is?

I guess the tradition of free flowing ideas symbolized by speakers corner in London and the oxford debate are dying a slow death. Very sad.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,298,075 times
Just like the US had the right to "ban" Cat Stevens, the UK also has the same right to ban whoever it chooses. It's not about freedom of speech....any country has the right to deny/admit whoever they choose, so quit the nonsense.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Just like the US had the right to "ban" Cat Stevens, the UK also has the same right to ban whoever it chooses. It's not about freedom of speech....any country has the right to deny/admit whoever they choose, so quit the nonsense.
C'mon!! His music isn't THAT bad!!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
C'mon!! His music isn't THAT bad!!
The US banned:

YouTube - cat stevens Wild World

The UK banned:

YouTube - Fred Phelps cutup

YouTube - Michael Savage's Racist Remarks

...personally, I'd rather listen to Cat Stevens.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
The US banned:

YouTube - cat stevens Wild World

The UK banned:

YouTube - Fred Phelps cutup

YouTube - Michael Savage's Racist Remarks

...personally, I'd rather listen to Cat Stevens.
Yeah, have to agree w/ you there....

But Stevens was banned for alleged ties to terrorism, which implys taking actions, not simply espousing ideas, so the comparison is not truly valid. Now weather he should have been on a watch list as a potentail terrorist is another question - It does sound a little far fetched - never the less it is an apples and oranges comparisons.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 PM

154 posts, read 154,679 times
There's no free speech in the UK, EU, or Canada. It's a crime to use use scientific words, like 'homosexual' or 'negro'. It's a crime to not believe in global warming and punishable with prison time. These countries also censor the Internet.

http://www.infowars.com

http://www.prisonplanet.tv

Last edited by JoeMama2009; 05-06-2009 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: Reason

Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Yeah, have to agree w/ you there....

But Stevens was banned for alleged ties to terrorism, which implys taking actions, not simply espousing ideas, so the comparison is not truly valid. Now weather he should have been on a watch list as a potentail terrorist is another question - It does sound a little far fetched - never the less it is an apples and oranges comparisons.
Links to terrorism...please....all because he converted to Islam and there a few misguided links. Tell me, in your opinion, who is a greater threat; Cat Stevens or Fred Phelps?

I think most of you who in this thread have a very different notion to what freedom is (compared to other countries) anyway and who the UK denies/allows entry to is really none of any of your concerns.

Besides, I bet you'd scream like little b*tches if a British person even dared to question who the US denies/allows into this country.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
There's no free speech in the UK, EU, or Canada. It's a crime to use use scientific words, like 'homosexual' or 'negro'. It's a crime to not believe in global warming and punishable with prison time. These countries also censor the Internet.

Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Welcome to - PrisonPlanet.tv
I have two words for you: bull & sh-t.

Garbage, pure garbage. I don't know of anyone in jail in those countries for any of those things. It makes me wonder what you're smoking, injecting or snorting?

Last edited by EnjoyTheSilence; 05-06-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 10:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,358,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post

Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Welcome to - PrisonPlanet.tv
My IQ dropped a point just reading your post.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies