Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do minorities have any advantage over Whites in America? (Jobs, universities, etc.)
Huge Advantage 46 41.44%
Small Advantage 15 13.51%
Everything is about equal 17 15.32%
Small Disadvantage 24 21.62%
Huge Disadvantage 9 8.11%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:51 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times

Advertisements

Well, I'd say one setback for Blacks (especially Black women) is their hair. A lot of people don't understand that the "professional" standards they set in the workplace hurt Blacks. What's natural for one race's hair can be unnatural and even damaging to the hair of another race. In some areas, for Black women to even be considered for a job, they have to perm their hair to make it straight. If they go in with braids or twists or locks (basically the most healthy styles for Black hair), they are considered unprofessional and thought of as "not really wanting the job".

Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
This becomes a problem when people place the problems of a few on a race as a whole, on both sides of the equation.

You see it here on CD all the time...the actions of a few blacks define the group of them in the eyes of many people.
It's complicated, because on one hand, we all get defined to a certain extent by things that make us unique. You hear in the news about "Catholic groups", or "black organizers", or "leaders in the Latino community". On the other hand, most people don't want to be defined solely be what makes them different, even if it's an important part of who they are.

I'm often bothered when I hear "the gay community wants x, y, and z". I feel like everyone then assumes that all gays want the same thing. People do make assumptions, especially when they don't have a personal relationship with someone who belongs to a particular group. I try to speak up about it when I can.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:09 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Gosh it's nice being a straight, white male. Never having to worry that cops are watching you extra closely. Never having to wonder if the bank just screwed you over on you home loan. Never having to wonder if some business just threw away your resume because of your color. Never having to wonder if some person didn't rent you an apartment because he thought you were gay. Never having to wonder if you are being paid less than a male coworker just because you're a woman.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to trade all of those advantages for the slim chance that you might benefit from an AA program.

AA programs are an imperfect attempt to make up for all those other disadvantages. Who in their right mind would think that AA makes it advantageous to be a minority? That's just more stupidity than I can handle.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:09 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I voted for "small disadvantage", but this is very much in general.

It's still generally whites who are in control of things, and it's natural for us to gravitate toward those who are similar. It's easier to establish a report when you can relate to another person's life experiences.

On a micro level, things are very much equal, but on a macro level, I think that whites still have a slight advantage.
I agree 100%.
I've seen things come a LONG WAY in my 54 years on this little rock. When I was born in Baltimore Md, Blacks were segregated and given their own rest rooms and water fountains. Now we have a Black President.

Clearly there has been a LOT of progress in regards to equal opportunity - not just for Blacks but also for other racial minorities and for woman. It wasn't that long ago that there were only White Men as TV news reporters and anchors - now EVERY network has women and racial minorities in such prominent positions. Same is true for many other industries - there has been VAST improvement.

Now this is not to say that the average minority has an equal shot with the average white male, but it's definitely gotten closer - and I can imagine a time in the not-too-distant future (maybe another 20 years - maybe even a bit sooner) when there should be little to no need for the affirmative action legislations the Right finds so offensive.

Right now I would say such rules/laws are still needed - but with a little luck, maybe not for too much longer.

Ken

Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,941 times
Quote:
It's complicated, because on one hand, we all get defined to a certain extent by things that make us unique. You hear in the news about "Catholic groups", or "black organizers", or "leaders in the Latino community". On the other hand, most people don't want to be defined solely be what makes them different, even if it's an important part of who they are.

I'm often bothered when I hear "the gay community wants x, y, and z". I feel like everyone then assumes that all gays want the same thing. People do make assumptions, especially when they don't have a personal relationship with someone who belongs to a particular group. I try to speak up about it when I can.
I agree...I also try to do the same thing as well

Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Gosh it's nice being a straight, white male. Never having to worry that cops are watching you extra closely. Never having to wonder if the bank just screwed you over on you home loan. Never having to wonder if some business just threw away your resume because of your color. Never having to wonder if some person didn't rent you an apartment because he thought you were gay. Never having to wonder if you are being paid less than a male coworker just because you're a woman.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to trade all of those advantages for the slim chance that you might benefit from an AA program.

AA programs are an imperfect attempt to make up for all those other disadvantages. Who in their right mind would think that AA makes it advantageous to be a minority? That's just more stupidity than I can handle.
Please! Your common sense is too much for this forum!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Gosh it's nice being a straight, white male.
Yes, you are fortunate.

But you do admit to being an atheist, so according to some, you're still a failure and you're going to hell with the rest of us.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:39 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Yes, you are fortunate.

But you do admit to being an atheist, so according to some, you're still a failure and you're going to hell with the rest of us.
Hell is where all the interesting people will be.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Yes, you are fortunate.

You're right! I am a disadvantaged minority! I can't run for major office!

Boy, according to the wingnuts here, I'm actually better off now! I'm a minority and I have advantages!

Oh happy day.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,287 times
No-whites have a HUGE advantage in almost all professions now. Sports is one very obvious example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies