Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do minorities have any advantage over Whites in America? (Jobs, universities, etc.)
Huge Advantage 46 41.44%
Small Advantage 15 13.51%
Everything is about equal 17 15.32%
Small Disadvantage 24 21.62%
Huge Disadvantage 9 8.11%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:03 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,743 times

Advertisements

Please take the poll and explain why you voted the way you did.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Personally, I think every race faces its own issues in this country. I voted that minorities have a Small Advantage over white people because it is easier for them to get jobs (and when they don't succeed, they can blame their race and most will accept that as a valid excuse).

Old 05-05-2009, 07:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
I think there are advantages and disadvantages to being white or minority.

EDIT: Oh crap I just read the text in the parenthesis about jobs and colleges. In that case, I'd say minorities DO have a clear advantage.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think there are advantages and disadvantages to being white or minority.

EDIT: Oh crap I just read the text in the parenthesis about jobs and colleges. In that case, I'd say minorities DO have a clear advantage.
It is open ended intended to be answered however you want.

I was having a talk with an African American man who said he was at such a disadvantage because he was black. I wanted to puke. He was telling me how I had everything at my fingertips and how his race has held him back and resulted in him getting no respect because "white people are so stuck up and wont even talk to black people."

I thought this was outrageous. This man did not graduate high school (dropped out in 11th grade after getting a girl pregnant), did not go on to college. I did, however. He blames NOT HIMSELF, but his race for his "terrible" situation in life.

Good grief. I want to know what you guys think. Are minorities at this "huge" disadvantage they claim they are at in TODAY's society, because I just don't see it.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
It is open ended intended to be answered however you want.

I was having a talk with an African American man who said he was at such a disadvantage because he was black. I wanted to puke. He was telling me how I had everything at my fingertips and how his race has held him back and resulted in him getting no respect because "white people are so stuck up and wont even talk to black people."

I thought this was outrageous. This man did not graduate high school (dropped out in 11th grade after getting a girl pregnant), did not go on to college. I did, however. He blames NOT HIMSELF, but his race for his "terrible" situation in life.

Good grief. I want to know what you guys think. Are minorities at this "huge" disadvantage they claim they are at in TODAY's society, because I just don't see it.
Yes HE is responsible for his mess.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
I didn't vote because I don't feel like it's really cut and dry.

I would like to point out though that minority isn't just a racial thing.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
While I don't agree with this guy for the main source of problems in his life, this line struck me:

He was telling me how I had everything at my fingertips and how his race has held him back and resulted in him getting no respect because "white people are so stuck up and wont even talk to black people."

This becomes a problem when people place the problems of a few on a race as a whole, on both sides of the equation.

You see it here on CD all the time...the actions of a few blacks define the group of them in the eyes of many people.

Now I'm just waiting to see if the same thing will happen in this thread because of this one guy's comments.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:27 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times
I didn't vote because I can only answer for myself and not my whole race.

With that being said, no, I do have any disadvantages, yet.

I got into school based on my grades and SAT scores. I work hard to network with all types of people who can help me achieve my goal.
I see my future as being bright, no one can hold me back but myself.

However, this does not discount the fact that discrimination does not happen because it does and often. It just hasn't happened to me.Yet.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,548 times
Minorities are disadvantaged often by the culture they live in that perpetuates certain behaviors.

Minorities are disadvantaged in that they are more likely to be executed than whites though one could probably argue successfully that this has to do more with money than race.

Minorities have advantages in jobs in that they can claim racism when they fail to meet standards (firefighter promotion tests) and prevent the majority from progressing or get jobs they aren't qualified for (consider women and physical requirements for firefighters).

Minorities have the advantage of political correctness. They can do many things whites cannot and play the race card to absolve themselves of any judgment by society.

It cuts both ways and the sooner we ALL blind ourselves to color instead of pretending that we're all the same then holding special days to recognize ourselves or secretly hating those of another color or sex the sooner we'll actually be equal.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I voted for "small disadvantage", but this is very much in general.

It's still generally whites who are in control of things, and it's natural for us to gravitate toward those who are similar. It's easier to establish a report when you can relate to another person's life experiences.

On a micro level, things are very much equal, but on a macro level, I think that whites still have a slight advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies