Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 03:11 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You can sleep with anyone and still be married but I know what you're getting at.
I think this whole marriage debate within the gay and lesbian community just underscores the need to UNTIE governmental benefits with marital status. If I want to leave my social security benefits to my dog, it should be my right since I paid into the system. The same with a woman wanting to leave it to her longtime boyfriend.

I get it, I really do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
I agree with you as well here. thomas jefferson once said, "democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people take aways the rights of the other 49%."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Just because majority rule has decided these issues doesn't mean the majority is right.
At the time interracial marriages were allowed many people were against them. Were they right to believe that?
When slavery was abolished, many people were against that. Should we still be having slavery?

If America is a christian nation, we would have an official state church, the president would be a religious leader, etc etc etc.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM

107 posts, read 268,185 times
Yikes, you're arguing in circles.

Your arguments against gay marriage have no legal basis, and you don't make much sense. How would gay marriage remove your freedoms? it doesn't.

I can imagine 'The Onion' saying: "Newsflash! Maine couples realize their marriages are intact"!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yet, the Constitution and our laws allow for citizens to "petition" the government. And those same laws allow for citizen referendums - to be put before the voters - for their decisions.

Are you advocating taking these rights away from the citizens?
When it comes to voting on the rights to be granted or denied to any minority, absolutely! I saw it once put this way: Allowing the 'majority' to vote on what they will 'allow' a minority to do is like allowing two dogs and the chicken that shares the yard with them to vote on what's for lunch. In most such cases the chicken becomes lunch.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
When it comes to voting on the rights to be granted or denied to any minority, absolutely!
I like to drive fast - VERY fast. Yet, the majority says I cannot do that. Is this fair?

What you are advocating is for doing away with our constitution.

Would you support the calling of a Constitutional Convention?

Would you support a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage?

Do you believe that 535 members of congress are better suited to tell you and I how to live our lives?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:38 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
way to go maine...and so it begins....

thoughts?
concerns?
general complaints...

lets hear it

I don't know what goes on in Maine, but from what the Governor had to say, it looks like the voters my overturn this law with a referendum.

"But he raised the possibility that the residents of the state would overturn the law, saying, 'Just as the Maine Constitution demands that all people are treated equally under the law, it also guarantees that the ultimate political power in the State belongs to the people."

Maine legalizes same-sex marriage - CNN.com

My understanding is that only Vermont and Maine have actually created same sex marriage laws via the elected legislatures. The other states have had it imposed on them by their respective supreme courts. Of course we're all familiar with the power struggle the California supreme court is having with the people of California. I think the founders would have hung state supreme court justices who overruled the expressed will of the people. I expect they would see it the way I do, treasonous.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:48 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV
When it comes to voting on the rights to be granted or denied to any minority, absolutely!
Quote:
I like to drive fast - VERY fast. Yet, the majority says I cannot do that. Is this fair?

I find it very fair because by driving 'VERY' fast you are endangering the lives of others who may not be able to get out of your way.

Quote:
What you are advocating is for doing away with our constitution.
No, what I am advocating is FOLLOWING our Constitution where it protects the rights of the minority from the tyranny of the majority. You are the one that seems (to me at least) to be advocating the destruction of our Constitution by not recognizing the fact that it protects the rights of ALL citizens, including (and possibly especially) those with whom you disagree.

Quote:
Would you support the calling of a Constitutional Convention?

I see no need of one. The Constitution is fine as it is if everyone would simply follow it.

Quote:
Would you support a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage?

I didn't support the one here in Nevada. Why on earth would you think I would support a national one?

Quote:
Do you believe that 535 members of congress are better suited to tell you and I how to live our lives?
Nope, which is why I'm very glad they can be voted out of office when they try to. Their job as Congressmen/women and or Senators is to determine what their constituents want and vote accordingly when voting on any law or other Congressional measure.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Really? When did any state have a vote on their speed limits? Obviously, some decisions are not left up to the voters. (Most decisions, actually.)

Old 05-06-2009, 03:54 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Maine

Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Really? When did any state have a vote on their speed limits? Obviously, some decisions are not left up to the voters. (Most decisions, actually.)
Actually years ago - Arizona did - to get rid of the 55 mph federally mandated speed limit.

And now we are going to have a state wide vote on photo radar

And per another referendum - before the legislature can increase taxes over a certain amount (I don't remember the number) - voters gotta vote on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies