Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the reference to this "myth"?

I was married in a civil ceremony by a legal notary...no religious doctrine applied for. None desired. My certificate still reads as a Marriage License, not that I would care if it was reclassified as a civil union or anything else, as long as it was binding. They (Palm Beach County) didn't issue a different document because I was married outside the Church. When it comes down to it, I don't think it matters at all what the Church might opine but whether or not the partnership is recognized in court and accepted for legal transactions.
And personally, I'd suggest no-one be so nit-picky about the terminology...just get the allowance IN and work from there.
Those on the religious right have claimed that if marriage equality spreads throughout the nation, churches will HAVE to perform same-sex unions. That is the myth I am referring to.

I understand what you're talking about when it comes to your marriage. I didn't say a church was required for a marriage to be valid nor did I say religious belief was required.
My mom and step dad were married by a legal notary as well and were married outside of a church. I know they don't issue different licenses if the ceremony occurs in a church or not.
I would think you would credit me to know that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
But in America, a Christian nation,
America is not a Christian nation.

Just because the majority of the citizens are Christian, doesn't mean that the nation is Christian. The nation itself is secular, exactly how the founding fathers wanted it to be.

657 posts, read 1,599,467 times
Quote:
But in America, a Christian nation, we adhere to the Christian principles of marriage being the legal union between one man and one woman only.
that's not what recent laws that have passed say...

I'm not sure who "we" is.. but speak for yourself.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM

355 posts, read 447,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
First of all america is not a christian nation, k thanks. Secondly, majority opinion is irrelevant, america is NOT a democracy. God, learn how your country operates.
It most certainly is a Christian nation.

Majority rule has always been the deciding factor. Look at how the voters decided on same-sex marriages in various states. It has been defeated in every instance. The only exception was Arizona in 2006 but that was because of a technicality in the wording of the measure. When the wording was corrected in the 2008 re-vote Arizonans rejected same-sex marriage, just as they easily did in the rest of the states. Even the voters in the left-coast state of California decided that marriage should be between a man and a woman only.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Not according to the founding fathers.

Quote:
Look at how the voters decided on same-sex marriages in various states.
It should have never been put to a vote. We should not be allowed to vote to discriminate against a minority.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:06 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:

Majority rule has always been the deciding factor. Look at how the voters decided on same-sex marriages in various states. It has been defeated in every instance. The only exception was Arizona in 2006 but that was because of a technicality in the wording of the measure. When the wording was corrected in the 2008 re-vote Arizonans rejected same-sex marriage, just as they easily did in the rest of the states. Even the voters in the left-coast state of California decided that marriage should be between a man and a woman only.
Just because majority rule has decided these issues doesn't mean the majority is right.
At the time interracial marriages were allowed many people were against them. Were they right to believe that?
When slavery was abolished, many people were against that. Should we still be having slavery?

If America is a christian nation, we would have an official state church, the president would be a religious leader, etc etc etc.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
dont forget that it also has to be a man and woman of the same color/race.

you did previously state that interracial marriage was immoral...

Quote:
I am completely in favor homosexuals taking marriage vows --

As long as they straighten up, become heterosexual, change their lifestyles, and marry somebody of the opposite sex.

Marriage is defined as the union between a man and a woman, end of story.

240 posts, read 352,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
America is a form of democracy but with checks and balances
added into the system ensure a more likely justice for all structure.
We are a republic not a pure democracy, there is a difference.

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
Yay for the Maine-iacs!!!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:

Again...

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the common law." - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Even if 100% of our citizens chose to be Christian, we would not be a Christian nation. Our laws would protect the rights of all beliefs. It's the brillance of our political structure and perhaps America's greatest contribution to the world. Let's not let it devolve into some theocracy.

Polls reveal that there is a HUGE divide between older generations and younger generations on this issue, so it is only a matter of time before marriage equality is a federal policy as the older generations pass on. Young people overwhelmingly are in favor of marriage equality. Numbers that identify by religious have plummeted. When that happens, will you still say we are a Christian nation by your incorrect definition based on majorities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies