Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungame View Post
Because two straight males usually don't go to romantic restaurants together?
nor are they, nor their lesbian counterparts, able to share the small moments of affection in public that are so common amoung romantic "straight" couples. . . walking hand in hand, etc. . . . there is NO THING such as seperate but equal. . . . equal means equal, with all of the same rights, expectations, and societal acceptance. So. . . I've been "straight" all my life, didn't even know about "gay" until I was in college, and even I know that that this kind of covert discrimination is wrong. . . I think that anyone with a normal sense of decency and fairness must have to be really dishonest with themselves to believe or behave otherwise. I do recongnize that humans are "emotional" creatures, that tend to act and react from "gut feeling", but my friend (now deceased) Roy, said it best when he explained to me that he might always feel a bit "uncomfortable" around black people. . . having been raised as an Iowa "farm boy", but that he was smart enough to realize how wrong that was, and determined to never reveal, in word or action, that inner reaction that he had not yet learned to eliminate. Remembering Roy always gives me the "warm fuzzies"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
My best friend who is gay has no problem hanging out at bars that I guess would be considered straight, although you never know if gay people are there & I have no problem going to the gay bars w/him. I remember this one time when I was in L.A., I went to a lesbian bar called Que Cera w/my 2 guy friends & I was a little offended that I didn't get hit on AT ALL!!!! I was like, what am I chopped liver??
I received the very same treatment (ignore) in a lesbian bar in racine, wisconsin, it was named 'what about me'. I wasn't offended either.

I am a firm believer that if a business is established, and they are willing to trade for your greenbacks for merchandise or services rendered, then that business should not be discriminating, period. I'm not so sure that every business is required to be 'gay friendly', but I've been into many businesses which have signs which state 'we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone'.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:52 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ask the killers. I was just quoting them.
My question was rhetorical.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM

207 posts, read 243,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Does it bother you that you are stared at in public places for being "different"? You are different you know. People will stare at you if you're snuggled up on another guy in a public place. Children will stare, point and ask questions. Because you are different. Even if the entire city were gay blind, you would still be different.

Oh there is a good poem about this by Pandora Scooter....here are my favorite parts.

"Go ahead point, stare, chit chatter away
cause you've figured it out
Holy cunnilingus! I think there are lesbians among us!
and you must not yet have had your day
of strangers putting your life on display.
A stare is a glare that says you don't dare to care for me
as a person, like you, just trying to get through this meal
without someone like you putting me on the menu"

"I can tell by the disgust that you're mustering up
that I must have broken your implicit trust
by not outing myself immediatly
apon entering this public eatery
So are you gonna send me back to the kitchen then?
Since you must have ordered the straight entree
and not the a'la carte lesbian
who comes in more than two dimensions
and doesn't taste very good with your presumptions."

....Yeah it's rude to stare at someone for being different...didn't your mommy teach you that?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
They already do have the same rights as everyone else. They are the ones who choose to define themselves as a minority group so they can reap the rewards of affirmative action and government funding. It's a scam. Most gays I know don't want anything to do with protests, marches, agenda's and such. They just want to blend in and live a normal life like everyone else. It's the militant types that are trying to ram it down everyone's throat so they can get funding for homosexual lobby's. It all comes down to money and power.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:46 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
They already do have the same rights as everyone else. They are the ones who choose to define themselves as a minority group so they can reap the rewards of affirmative action and government funding. It's a scam. Most gays I know don't want anything to do with protests, marches, agenda's and such. They just want to blend in and live a normal life like everyone else. It's the militant types that are trying to ram it down everyone's throat so they can get funding for homosexual lobby's. It all comes down to money and power.
Homosexual lobby? Enlighten please.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
To a great extent, I agree with you. I'm glad you recognize that most gays don't attend protests, marches, etc.

What I learned from the aftermath of Prop. 8 in California is that the more someone focuses on what makes him different, the more that person is going to feel marginalized, whether it's true or not.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM

79 posts, read 96,310 times
Quote:
I really don't think that you are right about this one.

They don't have the right to get married in most places. Don't start with the domestic partnership crap because if you have to give it a different name, it is not equal.

I agree that most GLBT people that I know are not activists, but they do very much care about their right to marry just like the rest of us. They also care very much about the way people portray the "gay agenda" because they have children, and it's hard on kids when people say terrible things about their parents. Especially untrue things.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You would.

And you know, anyone could say the same thing about any group of people. It's meaningless. Here: The black community reinforces their own stereotypes. It's true because I say it is. That's the thinking of LuckyGem right there.

It's a no-win situation with you. You want gays in the closet, but when you see them advertising on Craigslist, even that's too much for you to handle. Why you're counting the number of ads on Craigslist M4M, I don't know, but I do believe that you won't be happy until gays are completely silenced - or dead. One or the other.
LuckyGem, you need to respond to this. I notice you posted afterwards without comment. Did AnUnidentifiedMale hit the nail on the head? Or is the truth too difficult to face?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 PM

79 posts, read 96,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Does it bother you that you are stared at in public places for being "different"? You are different you know. People will stare at you if you're snuggled up on another guy in a public place. Children will stare, point and ask questions. Because you are different. Even if the entire city were gay blind, you would still be different.
You are different too. People will stare at anything. Your argument is that people shouldn't be openly gay because other people are ass holes? That's a pretty stupid argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies