Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
In case anyone is interested in a graph of real GDP that shows a bit more than the period from 2000 on, there is one here:
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images...s-real-gdp.gif

And for those that don't want to bother to click that, the graph shows that the period of 'huge' growth from 2003-2006 was dwarfed by periods of growth under most other presidents since 1950.
Thanks for finding that.. Odd that you had to go to a British website to find that kind of chart, but interesting nonetheless. Looks like the pattern of recession every 10 years or so holds true. The only time the recession didn't cause negative growth pattern was under Bush in 2001...

And wow, 1984 sure does put most other years to shame.. Almost double the highest rates under Bush Jr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
No. I'm laughing at what you wrote.

At no point is Congress allowed to ignore the law nor the process which begins with the President unless they wish to break the law.
Your own postings pointing out the law, calls it a PROPOSAL..

The president is required by law to submit the PROPOSED budget, NOTHING requires that Congress take that proposal and act upon it. They are required to pass A budget, not the presidents budget, i.e. "proposal"..

Old 05-08-2009, 11:39 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your own postings pointing out the law, calls it a PROPOSAL..

The president is required by law to submit the PROPOSED budget, NOTHING requires that Congress take that proposal and act upon it. They are required to pass A budget, not the presidents budget, i.e. "proposal"..
You didn't read the law.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You didn't read the law.
Not only did I read the law, but I bolded parts of it which prove its a "proposals" and handed it back to you, which you've ignored..

You also have not pointed out the "law" claiming Congress has to pass the Presidentials budget and not their own, all you've done is pointed out that the President needs to submit a budget, and that law itself calls the Presidential budget a "proposal"...

You've also ignored the postings here, where I have copied the law, section 1113 for example, which CLEARLY gives all authority to Congress
(1) When requested by a committee of Congress having jurisdiction over receipts or appropriations, the President shall provide the committee with assistance and information.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
the president writes a budget REQUEST, its his wishes, Congress does not even have to look at it. Congress and Congress alone writes the ACTUAL budget.

lol....The Congressional Budget Act of 1974 (Titles I-IX of P.L. 93-344, 2 U.S.C. 601-688) established the congressional budget process, which coordinates the legislative activities on the budget resolution, appropriations bills, reconciliation legislation, revenue measures, and other budgetary legislation.

The President by law writes a budget. Congress by law must look at it.

Sections within the Code which is the law explain procedural function within the context of the specific U.S.C. i.e.
1105. Budget contents and submission to Congress

(a) On or after the first Monday in January but not later than the first Monday in February of each year, the President shall submit a budget of the United States Government for the following fiscal year

Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
lol....The Congressional Budget Act of 1974 (Titles I-IX of P.L. 93-344, 2 U.S.C. 601-688) established the congressional budget process, which coordinates the legislative activities on the budget resolution, appropriations bills, reconciliation legislation, revenue measures, and other budgetary legislation.

The President by law writes a budget. Congress by law must look at it.

Sections within the Code which is the law explain procedural function within the context of the specific U.S.C. i.e.
1105. Budget contents and submission to Congress

(a) On or after the first Monday in January but not later than the first Monday in February of each year, the President shall submit a budget of the United States Government for the following fiscal year
I know, the president MUST submit a budget proposal.. Got it, stop repeating it, and start to respond to what I said. Repeating it over and over does not answer the questions I've asked NUMEROUS times

1) Where does the law say that Congress must pass the Presidents budget?
2) Where does the law say that Congress has to look at the one the president sends?
3) The law itself calls the Presidentials budget a PROPOSAL.. Its officially a request for a Congressional budget to include X, Y, and Z in it.

Continuing to ignore the question and repeating something that wasnt asked isnt helping you make the case that your wrong..

Old 05-08-2009, 12:14 PM

United States Federal Budget Process
President's Proposed Budget

The budget process begins the first month in February, when the President submits his proposal to Congress. This step in the process is governed by the Budget and Accounting Act of 1921.

The presidents budget is a PROPOSAL!!, not a full budget.. Which YOUR own documents confirmed..

Last edited by pghquest; 05-08-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 12:14 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
I liked Clinton's reign. He had help from the Republican Congress, but it was a good example of small government and fiscal conservatism in action.
That's why the GOP hated him so much.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Cool :yawn:

I like about.com

It's a nice site.

It will become extremely obvious to those of us who have read what I wrote, when you have as well.

adieu

Old 05-08-2009, 12:32 PM

Even the Office of Management and Budgets, who create the Presidential budget requests, along with White House documents, acknowledge that its a budget request, not a budget.

For example..
Deprecated Browser Error
The Committee has added $955 million to the President's request

Deprecated Browser Error
As part of the war against terrorism, we have requested and achieved record funding levels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies