U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM

11,878 posts, read 35,044,924 times

Advertisements

Good read.

Michael Barone : White House Puts UAW Ahead of Property Rights - Townhall.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM

531 posts, read 1,169,147 times
tupac style

Old 05-07-2009, 02:16 PM

4,489 posts, read 7,096,885 times

"Lauria is a reputable lawyer and a contributor to Democratic candidates. He has no motive to lie."

But he does have a motive to "get paid", just as any other corporate lawyer(s) who dealt with big bankruptcy cases and beyond.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post

"Lauria is a reputable lawyer and a contributor to Democratic candidates. He has no motive to lie."

But he does have a motive to "get paid", just as any other corporate lawyer(s) who dealt with big bankruptcy cases and beyond.
The point being that the government has more motive to lie than he. I'm not big fan of lawyers myself, but do you deny that the government has refused to take back payments from the banks so they can keep their grubby mittens in the banks business?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:46 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,974,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The point being that the government has more motive to lie than he. I'm not big fan of lawyers myself, but do you deny that the government has refused to take back payments from the banks so they can keep their grubby mittens in the banks business?
Why?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM

And what about payment on the credit to unsecure UAW workers at 50 cents per dollar, and payment to the secure creditors at 30 cents on the dollar? A little payback to the people that helped to get them into office?

Look, if you'll read my posts, I'm kind of middle of the road. I am a conservative, but I have rooted for the new administration, and disagreed at times.

I call them as I see them. And I smell a turd in this.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why?

Because if it was revealed that they were using strong arm "gangster like" tactics it would enrage a lot of people and cast suspicion on the motives of the administration?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:53 PM

31,370 posts, read 34,632,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
but do you deny that the government has refused to take back payments from the banks so they can keep their grubby mittens in the banks business?
Not only will I deny it, I will refute it.

The game of paying back TARP funds is stock based shell game. Goldmen Sachs aim at making a big deal to return TARP funds was to inflate their name amongst analyist. Institutions that can return money are "healthy" as a result their stock prices increase. The offer to return TARP funds by GS spurred other banks to do the same, whether they were solvent enough to return the money or not because giving back the money lends the appearance of financial solvency. Treasury, felt that this would cause an unfair market advantage that threaten the markets viability, all legitimate concerns. Further, those who were making the loudest noise about return TARP funds conveniently neglected to offer to repay trillions of other loan guarantees and other government financial backing. Strange that.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:56 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,974,515 times
I'm not questioning your motives, just that it is flawed to assume that one group/person has a greater reason to lie than another. What I would, however, is the ideology that government is always wrong and bad. Perhaps we have come so far off on the corporatists' side that we just don't give any credibility to the government we get to elect but don't mind empathizing with businesses, unconditionally, even though they don't hold themselves accountable to the people.

What I see in the blog is, not a moderate, but a corporatist, who would not have talked about this issue if the retirees got the shorter end of the stick. And yes, that is an assumption... one drawn from analyzing the language of the blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies