Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM

71 posts, read 184,550 times

Advertisements

I think most intelligent people who think for themselves have ideas that don't fit neatly with either parties platforms.

I know some people who are fiscally conservative, meaning they oppose big government spending but socially liberal, meaning they oppose government involvenment in people's sex. These people tended to vote democrat in the last election because they felt they couldn't trust Republicans to be fiscally conservative and knew the party is being controlled by the religous right.

And to the OP, I don't think you'll find too many people (especially here) who will admit that they agree with the other parties phillosophy. Instead, they'll probably point to concrete policies that they agree with and maybe try to argue that t really fits within their parties phillosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
You are one confused puppy! First you state you are "80% homo", and now you state you are a Democrat despite the values listed above. Those are some solid GOP values, friend. You sure you are gay?
lol... I don't think I said "80% homo"; I said "mostly homo". And yeah, I'm sure about it. Want me to show you?

Glad you think I have some solid GOP values. I'll take it as a compliment. In general, though, I think I agree a lot more with Democrats than with Republicans.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Yes:

1) against the death penalty

2) against torture

3) against unnecessary wars

4) against attempts to regulate people's sex lives

5) believe in global warming and feel it needs to be addressed, though ideally at the state level and not the federal level

6) believe in evolution and feel it should be taught in schools

7) support some limited welfare being available, but keep it very limited

8) support some type of civil union for same-sex couples, but against them being able to adopt children (call me a bigot, but that's how I feel)

9) support a slightly higher minimum wage

There are likely some more.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-07-2009 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
You are one confused puppy! First you state you are "80% homo", and now you state you are a Democrat despite the values listed above. Those are some solid GOP values, friend. You sure you are gay?

If a man can have sex with another guy without throwing up then it would be safe to say he is gay. There is no way I could ever have sex with another guy without puking.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There's so many shades of gray in most of the philosophies of each party. I feel like I either come up with a list of nothing or a huge list, depending on how I interpret each parties' positions.

Some disagreements I have with hardcore liberals:

• I'm totally against affirmative action.
  • I don't demonize people for driving SUVs. In fact, I own one.
  • I think there should be some restrictions on abortion.
  • I think rent control is bad.
  • I shop at Wal-Mart and believe that they've done a lot of good things (I like Target much better, however).
  • I think our borders should be airtight.
  • I think English should be declared our official language.
  • I'm ambivalent about same-sex marriage. I'd rather see civil unions for everybody, and leave marriage ceremonies to the churches.
  • I tend to think that opposite-sex couples should be given preference over same-sex couples in cases of adoption.

There's probably other issues, but overall, I'm a lot more comfortable with Democrats than I am with Republicans.
Wow!! Does your Democrat friends know about this list?
I caught one of my more liberal friends at the walmart the other day. She had those re-usable bags with her so I guess it was ok
I am one of those conservatives that is ambivalent about same sex marriage.... more for than aganist. I agree with at least civil unions.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,735 times
Against government welfare, both personal and corporate

View the income tax system as a form of legalized theft

Believe that EVERY government agency, Dept. of Defense included, has way too much money and power

Believe that a persons private life is private and should be free of all government interference as long as it is not infringing upon the rights of others

Believe that marriage is a religious institution and thus should not be defined nor approved by the government but rather by each specific religion

Believe that the military should only be used to defend the nation and thus that the Department of Homeland Security is a redundant agency that should be abolished

Believe that the war on drugs is unconstitutional and that marijuana should be legalized

Old 05-07-2009, 10:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
It's after midnight, so if you don't mind, I'll edit the following post to include the list of issues I also disagree with when it comes to liberal philosophies and comment in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
[LIST][*]I'm totally against affirmative action. Yes, same here[*]I think there should be some restrictions on abortion. Definitely[*]I think our borders should be airtight. Agree[*]I think English should be declared our official language. Absolutely[*]I'm ambivalent about same-sex marriage. I'd rather see civil unions for everybody, and leave marriage ceremonies to the churches. Still unsure. I'm concerned gay marriage will end up costing tax payers too much, i.e., Social Security, Medicare, Disability. Some employers might discontinue offering group benefits because the cost of family health care plans will increase. [/LIST]

Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Didn't we just do this recently?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
nancy said:

Quote:
Still unsure. I'm concerned gay marriage will end up costing tax payers too much, i.e., Social Security, Medicare, Disability. Some employers might discontinue offering group benefits because the cost of family health care plans will increase.

I seriously doubt you need to worry about those things. Gays are only about 4% of the country (according to research that I trust to be accurate). And then how many of them are going to get married? The numbers are pretty small.

If anything, same-sex marriage raises revenue for a state. This was written by a Republican political consultant last year after same-sex marriage became legal in California:

Same Sex Marriage – An Economic Windfall for California | Fox & Hounds Daily (http://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/blog/matt-klink/same-sex-marriage-%E2%80%93-an-economic-windfall-california - broken link)

...and the divorces would raise even more revenue!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:37 PM

106 posts, read 198,017 times
Separation of Church and State. Doesn't mean that the politician has to abandon his faith, just that decisions should be made for the best of the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies