Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,997,412 times

Advertisements

I think the listening tours are a good idea. In theory. The problem is, who do they listen to? There are a thousand different opinions out there, a thousand different realities.

If they just listen to the people that reinforce the ideas they want to have reinforced, what good does that do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,365,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, I don't get this: Why are so many conservative Republicans upset about Cantor, Jeb and Co. doing listening tours? Doesn't it make sense to find out where voters are and then to court their vote--especially if your'e losing elections. Sure you can teach conservatism, but why can't you also listen to voters to tailor your message ? I could be wrong, but that's just the way I see it. It's politics.

Am I wrong on this?

Mackinac

Of course you're not wrong, and the answer is simple. They see it as a weakness. They believe you're expected to know all the answers in advance, through genetic programming or something. Most people would view that as a sign of deepseated insecurity. They see it as manliness and strength.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,067,320 times
Quote:
Okay, I don't get this: Why are so many conservative Republicans upset about Cantor, Jeb and Co. doing listening tours? Doesn't it make sense to find out where voters are and then to court their vote--especially if your'e losing elections. Sure you can teach conservatism, but why can't you also listen to voters to tailor your message ? I could be wrong, but that's just the way I see it. It's politics.

Am I wrong on this?

Mackinac
hahaha. Once Boss Limbaugh pointed out they should be teaching tours, the spokesperson for the "listening tour" instantly started saying "You know? These are really education tours."
Yesterday, Rush Limbaugh slammed the GOP’s “listening tour” re-branding effort, saying that the conservative movement does not need to listen to the American people. Rather, Limbaugh declared, “We need a teaching tour.”

Asked about Limbaugh’s rejection of the GOP listening tour today on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN) did not take issue with Limbaugh’s remarks, saying only that the GOP’s objective was to help “educate the American people.”
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/05/05/...ses-listening/

Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,067,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Of course you're not wrong, and the answer is simple. They see it as a weakness. They believe you're expected to know all the answers in advance, through genetic programming or something. Most people would view that as a sign of deepseated insecurity. They see it as manliness and strength.
Exactly, and that's one of their Achilles heels.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,422,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
Yup, "just tell me what I wanna hear".... the same policy as Uncurious George!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM

37,928 posts, read 21,993,637 times
Quote:

Am I wrong on this?

Mackinac
You are correct, as long as that is what they are doing.

Conservatives just need to define their ideology, vision and principles, and convince people to adopt them as their own, and join us. They should not adopt the McCain philosophy of deciding which of their principles they need to discard to get votes, or be like liberal democrats and hide their ideology, so as not to scare away voters.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,775,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And this differs from Obama because? (Or Clinton and Gore for that matter)
What exactly is the argument here? That Democrats should also embark on "listening tours"? Because, yes, they should. Candidates who seek to represent the people in their constituency should know what issues those constituents are concerned about, and what they would like to see happen.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,672,905 times
op- If they are really "listening", that is good. Both sides should do that. Problem is that probably the vocal minority alone may get heard and the silent majority and independents may be left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies