Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:41 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicos Dad View Post
What do they have to be upset about? They have job stability as well as a taxpayer funded pension. The rest of us have to save for our own retirement and then pay for theirs as well. They should have smiles on their faces a mile wide. I went to FedEx and the Post Office this morning to ship items. The difference was between night and day. At Fed Ex the employees were very cordial and considerate. I go to the Post Office and they always seem mad at the world. Attitude deluxe. If I ever treated customers like that at my job Id be [MOD CUT/language] canned in a week.

It must be the pits to have such a sour relationship with postal employees. Maybe it's your attitude.

P.S. Government employees pay taxes, too.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:51 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
What private industry fires productive workers when they can get a less expensive replacement or to deny them a pension.
None that I know of. I know where I work its preferred to save an employee rather than fire them. The reason is simple. It takes years to build skill and experience. You put a new hire on a team and it is a huge hit for months just to make that newsier functional at the basics let alone a skilled employee.
It may very among industries.
I am sure you can replace a burger flipper at Burger King and have them trained up in a week. But then again no real skills are required.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:38 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
None that I know of. I know where I work its preferred to save an employee rather than fire them. The reason is simple. It takes years to build skill and experience. You put a new hire on a team and it is a huge hit for months just to make that newsier functional at the basics let alone a skilled employee.
It may very among industries.
I am sure you can replace a burger flipper at Burger King and have them trained up in a week. But then again no real skills are required.
Its silly to make blanket statements, like government workers are lazy and private industry work harder. Its not true.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:52 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicos Dad View Post
What do they have to be upset about? They have job stability as well as a taxpayer funded pension. The rest of us have to save for our own retirement and then pay for theirs as well. They should have smiles on their faces a mile wide. I went to FedEx and the Post Office this morning to ship items. The difference was between night and day. At Fed Ex the employees were very cordial and considerate. I go to the Post Office and they always seem mad at the world. Attitude deluxe. If I ever treated customers like that at my job Id be [MOD CUT/language] canned in a week.
It's a prerequisite for the job...one of the questions is are you a moody schlub? <sarcasm> The only time I dealt with an angry and rude government worker was at the Elgin,IL DMV...it's not really a surprise considering it's Elgin...

Old 08-19-2016, 08:31 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
You are aware many of the govt. employees are vets. -- you complain of them being on welfare and food stamps , now complaining they are working !

Old 08-20-2016, 04:04 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
I worked for a Department of Transportation in the summers during college. Once I stayed past my probationary period (if I stayed working for them), I could not be fired unless it's for GROSS negligence. Also, everything is so bureaucratic... nobody wants to do more than required because it can only hurt them, not help. If something goes wrong, it goes against them. If not, nobody cares. I couldn't take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies