Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Postmaster general: USPS will run out of money by year’s end

And this coming after 3 straight years of stamp increases... We will get a first hand look soon at which is more efficient at providing a service, the private sector or the government.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Lack of incentive. No competition. No reason to make a difference. Penalty for rocking the boat.

They are just living out their days waiting to retire in some cushy, carefree office job at the expense of taxpayers if you ask me.
Exactly! When I worked in civil service, there were times during busy seasons when we were flooded with work. I wanted to stay over my scheduled hours to get caught up. I never asked for overtime or any other type of compensation but I was literally threatened with being written up if I stayed past my scheduled hours when a coworker complained. After that, I stopped caring if the work got done or not. I quit shortly afterwards and found a more rewarding position that wasn't full of this pettiness.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:43 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
well, I usually wait long lines in my suburban post office, but when I get there the people are very very pleasant. If they could just hire that one other person. And the Secretary of State's office is nice too. A little bored looking, but nice.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
bek when you look in their face you see the image carved there by a very mean rude sick ugly public---- who think they are not so bad. cops, social workers, and teachers deal with our garbage, the stuff you dont wana handle.
when they hired that civil servant they did so bek the guy was nice and wanted to help.
signed
a government retiree

Old 05-10-2009, 01:06 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I concur with most everything you're saying, except the first sentence. That's simply not true. You seem to think the government sector is full of flunkies. I'd reconcile that you could stand to do a little homework yourself.

On the local level, its possible your theory has some credibility, but Washington DC-area citizens are considered one of the most intellectual crowds in the nation. Just because a person has a bad experience at the Post Office doesn't mean government workers "are generally not ambitious enough to qualify themselves and take a job with higher pay but less job security." That's beyond ludicrous.
That one is priceless. You ought to take your stand-up routine on the road.

You'll kill 'em.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I wanted to address the bolded portion. Not all governmental jobs pay less than the private sector. When I was a civil service employee, I was getting paid well above what I would have dreamed of ever earning in the private sector for the exact same type of work.
And my series would be making $30-$40k more; scientists, lawyers and engineers make 25-50% less. Your comment means nothing out of context.

Then why did you leave the government for less pay and pretty much the same conditions?
Government and business aren't that different.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:13 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
Just look at the TSA and you'll see a nice cross section of govt. workers.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:34 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
I know of a hard working Postal worker who through rain, sleet, snow and sunshine does her routine with the upmost dignity and respect.

Some of you are sooo rude on this board, I can only imagine the crap you say to people in person. If you are rude and angry when you speak to someone why should someone offer you quality service?

Also my mom works at SSA and the people that come in there...man o man. Even you would get frsutrated when people try to lie and get government funds or you constanly have to tell people to bring in the right paperwork. Also many hispanics that come into her office to file for SSI or a SS card come in with fake papers and they also demand to speak to a spanish speaking employee if they do not get their way.

If you the customer are rude and have so many complaints, you can not just EXPECT for people to bow down to you.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And my series would be making $30-$40k more; scientists, lawyers and engineers make 25-50% less. Your comment means nothing out of context.

Then why did you leave the government for less pay and pretty much the same conditions?
Government and business aren't that different.
When I was in civil service, I was doing clerical work. I received my masters degree and I am now working in a totally different field and making more money. I don't have civil service benefits or protections but I could not be more happier than I am now.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Good for you.
Then why do you hold such a grudge against government workers?
You worked in a bad office, you could have changed jobs if you so chose.

Clerical jobs are about the only ones where you get paid more than the outside.
You can't judge an entire system based on your one job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies