Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:37 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
What the other poster is trying to get you to understand is, if the GOVERNMENT is going to subsidize premiums, that are paid to a PRIVATE company - a system has to be in place for the government to know if you qualify for this subsidy -

A DUAL regulatory system.

Let me ask you this: Say your premiums exceed 10% of your income. Who are you going to apply to for your subsidy? Who is going to decide if you should get the subsidy?
Of course some government agency needs to determine who gets the subsidy.. but if you do away with medicaid and even medicare as we know it today, then this agency can take it's place and it's function is to determine subsidy on income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Of course some government agency needs to determine who gets the subsidy.. but if you do away with medicaid and even medicare as we know it today, then those same agencies can then work at determining subsidies based on income.
You will not be doing away with Medicare (Medicaid is state - we don't have Medicaid here in AZ)

Medicare is paid out of a seperate trust fund - from the taxes taken from your paycheck -

MEDICARE IS NOT GOING AWAY

Medicare is intertwined with SSI

Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You will not be doing away with Medicare (Medicaid is state - we don't have Medicaid here in AZ)

Medicare is paid out of a seperate trust fund - from the taxes taken from your paycheck -

Oh my god ... GD.. I did not say it was GOING AWAY

Jesus.. I'm talking about if we adopted a similar system as the Swiss system that medicaid and medicare as it exists today and as we know it
would not need to exist

I know we are not adopting a similar system to the Swiss.. I know we are not making insurance mandatory at this time.. I know I know I know..

Doesn't mean that I can't argue the merits of doing such a thing.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Of course some government agency needs to determine who gets the subsidy.. but if you do away with medicaid and even medicare as we know it today, then those same agencies can then work at determining subsidies based on income.
TM TM TM.....OUR gov't is the one running Medicare and Medicad.
That is the fact that has to be worked with.

Over my adult life I have thought of many idealistic plans as have, I'm sure, half the thinking people in the US....as you are doing now (with the exception of who's going to pay for it
They have never...not once....included liberal government paid for or subsidized programs.
Once headed down that road there is no fixing to be done other than giving up individual choice completely and settling for what whoever is currently in power hands out.
That may sound dramatic to you but let me tell you....we're so old now, none of this will affect us much. But I still shudder to think of it for the future of this country.
You are young and interested enough....put all your energies into effecting a reversion BACK to a less dependent population....not more of one.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Oh my god ... GD.. I did not say it was GOING AWAY
YOU said:

but if you do away with medicaid and even medicare as we know it today

I merely replied to what YOU wrote.

Perhaps you did not mean for it to sound the way YOU WROTE IT but, if that is the case, be more careful with what YOU write and the way YOU write it

Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:

Yeah, you do - AHCCCS is Arizona's medicaid program, and based on what I've read, may be one of the models for what the Federal govt. wants to do overall as it has been quite successful since instituted.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
YOU said:

but if you do away with medicaid and even medicare as we know it today

I merely replied to what YOU wrote.

Perhaps you did not mean for it to sound the way YOU WROTE IT but, if that is the case, be more careful with what YOU write and the way YOU write it

Why didn't you bold IF GD.. not when IF big difference

Old 05-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, you do - AHCCCS is Arizona's medicaid program,
BUT, it is NOT Medicaid. It has some different criteria than does medicaid.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Why didn't you bold IF GD.. not when IF big difference
You used the terms DO AWAY -

You created the misperception - got put in a corner - and now can't get out

Too bad

Old 05-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Lets' cut to the chase for TM, shall we:

MEDICARE is not going away. It is going to remain, as it is, under any new system.

How's that TM? Clear enough for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies