Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:45 AM

207 posts, read 242,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Because compromise is how things get done.

And marriage, defined religiously is a sacrament by God. While true there are civil marriages done under the courts, no Catholic or any other Christian Church besides a small minority of more liberal Church's would ever allow two gays to marry in their Church. Therefore to seek out this type of marriage is pointless for gays because they cannot force a Church to marry them.

It is better to seek out civil marriages or unions in the form of the courts than in the Church's.

And yet I know of atleast three churches in my area that would do a same sex ceremony and the court won't.

Also it's not just the location that is different, civil unions in many states don't grand the same rights that marriage does.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:29 AM

18,336 posts, read 18,938,292 times
people fall in love with people if they want to marry they should be able to.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
No homosexual marriages, no civil unions.

I do not want states using government money or resources to promote the legitimization of despicable lifestyles outside of legal one man-one woman unions. The sanctity of marriage should never be watered down or taken away from heterosexual couples that wish to join in a union and start a family. That is what marriage is all about.

Those people that shout and scream about how people's private lives will not affect anybody else in society are wrong! Whenever an immoral act is legitimized or legalized it soon leads to the further crumbling of society's moral base. This is what has been happening ever since we made abortion legal, since we become more tolerant of open sexuality, since certain places decriminalized marijuana usage, since movies and TV have allowed bad language, explicit sex, and graphic violence. Legitimizing homosexual activity will lead to further demoralizing of certain things which we currently hold as morally wrong or criminal. Soon NAMBLA will become more of an activist movement and the pedophiles will want their so-called right to have sexual relations with children of both genders.

Think about it. The possibilities are endless for the so-called progressives.

nambla will never get any type of legitimacy. period.

sexual freedom is not what cases the worlds ills it is hatred.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,753,378 times
If those who chose civil unions were treated exactly like those with "marriages" then sure but even in places that have civil unions that are supposed to give the same rights of marriage, there are disparities.

I would like to see the government get out of the marriage business but I don't see us being that sophisticated in my lifetime.

Think Equal.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Unfortunately, many of the bans on same-sex marriage include language that would ban civil unions too.

Here's the language from Florida's constitutional amendment which was passed in November:
“Inasmuch as marriage is the legal union of only one man and one woman as husband and wife, no other legal union that is treated as marriage or the substantial equivalent thereof shall be valid or recognized."

Thanks to that amendment, civil unions aren't even a possibility in Florida now.

It's all pretty sinister. The people who organize these bans promote them as a "ban on gay marriage". Of course, that gets everybody all excited and most people have no problem voting for a ban on same-sex marriage. What the organizers don't tell you is that many of these amendments also ban civil unions, domestic partnerships, and all other forms of unions that could be considered "equivalent" to marriage. Nice, huh?

So, if you live in a state where you voted to ban same-sex marriage, congratulations. You not only banned gay marriage, you may have also banned civil unions.

Here's a map that shows where each state stands currently on same-sex marriage. All of the states shaded red have banned same-sex marriage and civil unions:

File:Samesex marriage in USA.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, my state has the same thing.
In any case, voters are able to strike down certain language if they get together and try to get it on the ballot.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Because compromise is how things get done.

And marriage, defined religiously is a sacrament by God. While true there are civil marriages done under the courts, no Catholic or any other Christian Church besides a small minority of more liberal Church's would ever allow two gays to marry in their Church. Therefore to seek out this type of marriage is pointless for gays because they cannot force a Church to marry them.

It is better to seek out civil marriages or unions in the form of the courts than in the Church's.
A marriage is just a civil union with a different name. At the end of the day, the marriage of a person who had a marriage ceremony in a church and someone who had a ceremony outside on a beach will be treated equally under the law.
To me fighting for marriage equality is not pointless.

Quote:
I actually find myself more in agreement with you. Marriage was supposed to be a sacrament, not something to be taken for granted. If people want to receive all the tax deductions and benefits of being married, I think it would be better to get married first in a Church (for those who believe in that sort of thing) and then later on go and claim your civil certificate or whatever you want to call it.
So what about those who don't like churches?
What about those who attend a mosque or a synagogue?
Is marriage just for christians?

Many people file the marriage license first and then do the ceremony because they know their marriage ceremony in a church won't grant them any state or federal rights, benefits, privileges, etc.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:03 PM

355 posts, read 446,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
nambla will never get any type of legitimacy. period.

sexual freedom is not what cases the worlds ills it is hatred.
hahahahaha!

When cohabitation without the benefit of marriage was becoming more acceptable back in the 1970s, we were warned that it would open the door to more repulsive lifestyles being legitimized, such as homosexual marriages. Back then the liberal-minded people blew it off as an exaggeration.

Look at what has happened as a result of so-called progressive thinking.

Trust me on this, give homosexuals permission to marry each other, and NAMBLA will become more active by pushing for legalization of man-boy sexual relationships and marriage. At the very least they will push for the decriminalization of it.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,602,317 times
Quote:
When cohabitation without the benefit of marriage was becoming more acceptable back in the 1970s, we were warned that it would open the door to more repulsive lifestyles being legitimized, such as homosexual marriages. Back then the liberal-minded people blew it off as an exaggeration.

Trust me on this, give homosexuals permission to marry each other, and NAMBLA will become more active by pushing for legalization of man-boy sexual relationships and marriage. At the very least they will push for the decriminalization of it.
The threats about NAMBLA are ridiculous. Do you really think that civil unions will lead to the legalization of sex between adults and children? Your slippery slope arguments are meaningless.

I think you'd be happier in Iraq than you would be here. Our culture changes and evolves and becomes more free as time goes on. Everything you post indicates that you do not want more freedom for anyone, you want less.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
hahahahaha!

I can't "trust you" that no matter how "free" our society becomes that we would ever condone or decriminalize men havin sexual relationships with young children. no one in their riht mind would accept this. period
I can certainly see, I don't aree that with sexual freedoms more thins people do became more public but in no way is this necessarly a bad thing. consenting adults should not be made to feel less because of what they might be doing in the bedroom. nambla is far, far from consenting

Old 05-09-2009, 02:14 PM

355 posts, read 446,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The threats about NAMBLA are ridiculous. Do you really think that civil unions will lead to the legalization of sex between adults and children? Your slippery slope arguments are meaningless.

I think you'd be happier in Iraq than you would be here. Our culture changes and evolves and becomes more free as time goes on. Everything you post indicates that you do not want more freedom for anyone, you want less.
Civil unions are different than homosexual marriages, although they are similar. Both grant acceptability to degenerate abnormality and should not be made legal by any state or federal government.

You are correct that our culture changes but that is not always positive. Liberal-minded progressives and arrogant judges have already made the abhorrent practice of abortion fully legal. The same liberal mindset has also legitimized pre-marital sex, easy divorce, marijuana usage, and the list goes on.

Give some people an inch and they'll take a foot. Leftists have allowed the moral fabric of our society to unravel thread by thread and soon there will be no morality or civility if it is allowed to continue.

There need to be boundaries, laws, and rules in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies