Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,251 times

Advertisements

I know government is the problem, but the DOD is way too big. we don't need to be in germany anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why is that pathetic? Defense doesn't necessarily mean fighting a war. It means keeping this country free and safe so that we can do things like sit on this forum and b#tch about inefficient government spending.

But while we're having a minor debate about Reagan, recall it was he that said "Government is not the solution, government is the problem." In the context of this thread, it begs to reason that bigger government is not the solution with all the new spending we're seeing. The OP's examples are pretty solid proof of that, and precisely why so many people are opposed to Obama's spend-crazy agenda. What makes Obama or his backers believe that his spending will have better results than past Presidents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Which is why the federal government needs to butt out and allow state governments to do the vast majority of this "spending." State governments should audit themselves regularly and cut ANYTHING unnecessary from the budget.

Some programs and services MUST be provided by government. There's no debate there. The key is efficiency.
Agreed. The FEd Gov paying for a walking part in a town of 400? Seems to me if said town really wanted a walking park they would do fund raisers, and use volunteer labor.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Yes ( as a conservative) I say polio vaccine.
I agree. The oral polio vaccine was licensed in 1962, and distributed in public schools for free. I can remember going to get ours, and my father saying, "I don't believe in 'socialized medicine', but I think this is a good idea". (Well, something like that, it was a long time ago.)

Actually, I think public immunization programs in general are a good example of public spending. We keep the incidence of vaccine-preventable disease down by immunizing as many people as possible (herd immunity).

Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree. The oral polio vaccine was licensed in 1962, and distributed in public schools for free. I can remember going to get ours, and my father saying, "I don't believe in 'socialized medicine', but I think this is a good idea". (Well, something like that, it was a long time ago.)

Actually, I think public immunization programs in general are a good example of public spending. We keep the incidence of vaccine-preventable disease down by immunizing as many people as possible (herd immunity).
Sadly, the non-oral polio vaccine has to this day been the only vaccine used anywhere that didn't have serious deleterious effects.

The Hep B vaccine given to gays in 1978 in NY and LA was particularly bad.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,411 times
While I hate to take a cheap shot, except for it's truly deserved, back on page one the final say wrote (and I'm sure it's a typo, but it's priceless anyway);
Quote:
war on illeteracy
Obviously another casuality of that war.

golfgod

Old 05-09-2009, 11:20 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I know government is the problem, but the DOD is way too big. we don't need to be in germany anymore.
Humans are social animals. The vast majority of us like living together in groups. In order to do that peacefully and fairly, we agree to a set of rules, procedures, and institutions for how to live together - that is "government."

When you have a small fraction of your social group that believes that those rules and institutions that allow you to live peacefully as a group are "the problem" - you are dealing with sociopaths, basically. Anybody who starts out with the axiom "I know government is the problem" should be shunned from society.

The fewer of them, the better. Luckily, they are a minority. Unluckily, they have gained a dominant role in one of our two parties.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
and some of us like hanging out in all white groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Humans are social animals. The vast majority of us like living together in groups. In order to do that peacefully and fairly, we agree to a set of rules, procedures, and institutions for how to live together - that is "government."

When you have a small fraction of your social group that believes that those rules and institutions that allow you to live peacefully as a group are "the problem" - you are dealing with sociopaths, basically. Anybody who starts out with the axiom "I know government is the problem" should be shunned from society.

The fewer of them, the better. Luckily, they are a minority. Unluckily, they have gained a dominant role in one of our two parties.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,921 times
Quote:
you mean the things that a private business could do in 1/3 the time for 1/4 the money? oh the irony of you saying that the federal government is responsible for garbage. got that right.
You should probably look at Bolivia as a case study of why this is a horrible idea.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:40 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,113 times
Quote:
and some of us like hanging out in all white groups.
I've suspected that about you.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 AM

I'm not the one who lives (hides) in idaho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies