Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
People pushing for a universal single payer healthcare system for America should read articles like this one. I hope this kid got his surgery by now.
The article clearly states that the family selected only one surgeon to do the surgery and did not consider other options such as going to a doc with a shorter wait. Knee surgery, while important to the person getting it, is not a "life or death" thing. It is a quality of life thing. And I might point out that many insurance policies in this country will not even cover such operations even if a doctor deems it medically necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:37 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The article clearly states that the family selected only one surgeon to do the surgery and did not consider other options such as going to a doc with a shorter wait. Knee surgery, while important to the person getting it, is not a "life or death" thing. It is a quality of life thing. And I might point out that many insurance policies in this country will not even cover such operations even if a doctor deems it medically necessary.
KevK,

What's more preferable (if you're not wealthy and in possession of a superb insurance policy):

1) Being denied by your insurance company for knee surgery and being unable to afford it

-or-

2) Going on a 6-12 month waiting list for knee surgery, knowing that you'll get it in the end and there won't be any bills to pay

I choose #2.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:53 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think you're full of it. I also think your claim about what many insurance companies will do is a load of #$%^.

Just saying what Im sure most people reading this thread are thinking.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:55 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
You are ignorant.
Rude and uncalled for.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,750,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
I think you're full of it. I also think your claim about what many insurance companies will do is a load of #$%^.

Just saying what Im sure most people reading this thread are thinking.
That is because you know I am right. It is not uncommon for medical policies to exclude sports or competition injuries- as well as those from other activities like jumping out of airplanes, racing cars and being a stunt man. Our policy has such exclusions and I had to purchase a separate policy from the school for my son to play sports there.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:42 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,356,728 times
Japan's system is going through some problems also.

Quote:
Patients are also to blame for over-crowding emergency wards with minor injuries and ailments, said Itani.

"There is an illusion that medical care comes cheap," he said. "People want to go to the emergency room of a big hospital even for slight injuries, causing a congestion of patients there..."

Japan's hospitals slam doors on emergency cases on Yahoo! Health

Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Courtenay Stephens View Post
The primary problem with singlke payer is cost. Government because of it's ability to steal er sorry Tax has no incentive to keep costs in line like a multiple payer would. As an example andthis is admitedly from the mid 1990s is that kentucky had more MRIs than all of canada and so in Canada there was a very long wait. my friends in Missisauga are sophisticated people and they hate single payer and prefer if they are able to come to the States.
If you think you like the IRS you will love government adminstered sick care.
By the way, sick care is a much more correct term for the industry that is referred to as helath care because it is not about preventing sickness but, about covering up the symptoms once you have a problem. I prefer to take preventive action and do the things that Drs don't want you to do to prevent sickness and stay healthy.

You're absolutely 100% wrong. The ADVANTAGE of single payer systems is that they provide healthcare for all citizens at 2/3 the cost in per capita GDP as the US "model"....LOL

In 2008 United States will spend 17 percent of its gross domestic product (GDP) on health care
. It is projected that the percentage will reach 20 percent by 2017.1
Although nearly 46 million Americans are uninsured, the United States spends more on health care than other industrialized nations, and those countries provide health insurance to all their citizens.3
Health care spending accounted for 10.9 percent of the GDP in Switzerland, 10.7 percent in Germany, 9.7 percent in Canada and 9.5 percent in France, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.4

According to a recent report, the United States has $480 billion in excess spending each year in comparison to Western European nations that have universal health insurance coverage. The costs are mainly associated with excess administrative costs and poorer quality of care.14
The United States spends six times more per capita on the administration of the health care system than its peer Western European nations.14

http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml (broken link)

Last edited by padcrasher; 05-10-2009 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You're absolutely 100% wrong. The ADVANTAGE of single payer systems is that they provide healthcare for all citizens at 2/3 the cost in per capita GDP as the US "model"....LOL
The reality of the single payers system is, you will not get everyone to pay into the system

Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,971,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The reality of the single payers system is, you will not get everyone to pay into the system

So? What's your point? People cheat on their taxes. Does this mean we should abandon government services?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
So? What's your point? People cheat on their taxes. Does this mean we should abandon government services?
If someone does "Pay" into the system, do they get health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies