Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Here is what you don't understand, scale. The CO2 output from a single steel mill or coal fired power plant might require 1 billion trees and entire year to remove. How many factories and power plants are there on Earth right now?

The problem is so big we're well past planting trees as a solution. Especially since when trees die and start rotting they release the CO2 back into the stored atmosphere.
I don't disagree with you, but you got me wondering... do trees have a lifespan?

The Straight Dope: Do trees ever die of old age?
Quote:
Trees may have life spans, but they don't have fixed life spans, as animals do.

The most striking illustration of this is the bristlecone pine, Pinus aristata. A 1948 field guide noted that bristlecones reached maturity in 200-250 years, with "extreme ages of 300-375 years." Yet only 10 years later a researcher discovered a stand of bristlecones whose average age exceeded 4,000 years and in one case 4,600 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Here is what you don't understand, scale. The CO2 output from a single steel mill or coal fired power plant might require 1 billion trees and entire year to remove. How many factories and power plants are there on Earth right now?

The problem is so big we're well past planting trees as a solution. Especially since when trees die and start rotting they release the CO2 back into the stored atmosphere.
Came in here to say this. Except I had read it was something like 300,000 trees will remove in one year what 1 coal plant puts out in 1 week.

So, we'd have to plant literally trillions of trees to make a dent. And even then, as Oerdin said, once those trees die the carbon they absorbed is released as they decay.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Regarding the "alleged" global warming issue. (Which, incidentally, I do not believe exists, but I digress).

*If* the planet is undergoing a global warming crisis. And *if* that global warming crisis is directly related to the levels of CO2 in the air (Carbon Dixode).

How come we don't just plant more trees?

Trees turn CO2 into oxygen (unless my highschool science teacher lied to me).

Instead of clear cutting BAZILLIONS of acres of treed forests to build McMansions, developments, resorts, and shopping malls, why don't the ecology minded people simply ENCOURAGE people to plan more trees?

I went to a lecture a couple of years ago. The historian stated that when Lewis and Clark traversed this country a couple of hundred years ago (whenever it was....I don't remember the exact year, sorry) that "as far as they went", it was SOLID Forest. And we're not talking 100 acre woods here. Forest that you could almost not GET THROUGH because the tree growth was so incredibly dense. Ga-Jillions of trees for thousands and thousands of miles.

All turning carbon dioxide into oxygen.

Am I the ONLY PERSON who sees how simple the solution to this "alleged" crisis is?

I don't get it.

20yrsinBranson

First of all, you are correct. The world has been on a cooling trend for the past couple years. That's why it's now called climate change. The whole thing is a huge money-making scam.

As for CO2, yes it has a slight effect of retaining heat in the upper atmosphere and reflecting it back to Earth, but the effect is negligible since historically CO2 levels have been far higher during ice ages.

What the tree huggers will never talk about is the fact that it isn't CO2 that causes global warming, but warming that causes elevates CO2 levels. The worlds oceans store CO2. As the oceans warm, CO2 is released into the atmosphere just like a warm glass of soda. When the oceans cool again (and they always do) the CO2 goes back into solution and the atmospheric levels decrease again. If CO2 were able to cause the Earth to warm, the extra CO2 released by the oceans after they warmed would cause the "run-away global warming" effect the folks set to make money off carbon credits warn us about.

It's all about the money. In the future, the well connected and the government will sell you and I the privilege of using plentiful and otherwise affordable fuels. Global warming is a huge scam.

Garage TV - The Great Global Warming Swindle - Documentary Film | video filmpjes | kyoto, swindel, global, warming, co2, greenhouse, broeikaseffect, verkiezingen, klimaat, opwarming

Old 05-09-2009, 01:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Am I the ONLY PERSON who sees how simple the solution to this "alleged" crisis is?
No.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:45 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Here is a very interesting thread on global warming //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...arming-49.html

There is a lot in that thread. I'll summarize it for you: If global warming is occuring, significant warming is not occuring as a result of human actions. As a result, there is nothing humans can do to change it. Moreover, global warming is probably not hapening at all.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:47 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Lol, well I'm not surprised popular opinion is lagging behind scientific opinion.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
alot of the co2 that is being released is from slash and burn techniques in the tropical jungles of the world.... they just cut the trees let them sit for a couple of months and just burn it all.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Lol, well I'm not surprised popular opinion is lagging behind scientific opinion.
A large number of scientists do not agree with the "global warming" claim.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:

I don't get it.

20yrsinBranson
No Spruce! You are about 30 ficussing years late to the party!

UNEP-BillionTree Campaign Site

Origins | Plant A Tree Program

Earth Day: Plant a Tree in Your Yard

Old 05-09-2009, 02:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,331,257 times
Trees aren't the biggest carbon sink, not by a long shot. The ocean is.

But what does it matter, anthropogenic global warming is a lie. Communism out! Radical environmentalism, led by fear of AGW in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies