Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 08:33 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
So you want to discriminate?
I said that I would personally like to see anyone who embraces nihilistic theology to be banned from the military. I also said that is unlikely to happen. Reading comprehension is a good thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:37 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I said that I would personally like to see anyone who embraces nihilistic theology to be banned from the military. I also said that is unlikely to happen. Reading comprehension is a good thing
It seems some people simply jumped in without even reading what was discussed before and added the "logic" of name calling.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:37 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
People, lets calm down, take a chill pill and mellow out. I realize this is a subject which stirs personal feelings but lets try to keep it to the topic.

carry on

Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Read your own post! Since you put it in a gibberish format let me repost the line that is most relevent to this discussion (and no it has nothing to do with the state of my intestinal tract )

It is DoD policy that requests for accomadation of religious practices should be approved by commanders when accomadations will not have an adverse impact on mission accomplishment, military readiness, standards or discipline.

In plain English what the above means is that you can worship or be active as your religion dictates unless it interferes with the mission at hand. The government has made it very clear that trying to convert muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan is not only counterproductive to the mission at hand but it endangers all US military personal as well.

And yes, if your son cannot see and/or abide by these rules then he is a coward and a bad soldier to boot. That you cannot even understand the DoD stance on this shows an utter lack of comprehension and/or an unwillingness to address rules and regulations that do not allow for running fast and loose with the ideals of freedom of speech and religion.

I completly understand the DoD's position.
Did you even understand that they did NOT distribute the bibles in question so in no way did they have an adverse impact on mission accomplishment, military readiness, standards or discipline.

To again quote Maj. Willis:
"That specific case involved a soldier who brought in a donation of translated bibles that were sent to his personal address by his home church. He showed them to the group and the chaplain explained that he cannot distribute them," she said. "The translated bibles were never distributed as far as we know, because the soldier understood that if he distributed them he would be in violation of general order 1, and he would be subject to punishment.

As for the later portion of you post toughguy, I sure the guys would love to have you come to next months drill and listen to your explanation of their belief system. If you can't get out of your moms basement......

Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I completly understand the DoD's position.
Did you even understand that they did NOT distribute the bibles in question so in no way did they have an adverse impact on mission accomplishment, military readiness, standards or discipline.

To again quote Maj. Willis:
"That specific case involved a soldier who brought in a donation of translated bibles that were sent to his personal address by his home church. He showed them to the group and the chaplain explained that he cannot distribute them," she said. "The translated bibles were never distributed as far as we know, because the soldier understood that if he distributed them he would be in violation of general order 1, and he would be subject to punishment.

As for the later portion of you post toughguy, I sure the guys would love to have you come to next months drill and listen to your explanation of their belief system. If you can't get out of your moms basement......
The intent to deliver was there, if not by the soldiers then by the soldiers church. I'm glad that the chaplain saw reason and did not distribute them however try to see the wider view on this beyond doing ones christian duty to 'save'. How is this viewed by those natives in the area? Those Evangelical idiots gave the Taliban or Al Queda or any of the many, many other islamist terrorist groups out there the best recruitment pitch there ever was. One of the biggest things muslim theocracies use against the US is to tell their people we are out to convert them, to wage another crusade against them. This kind of crap feeds into that paranoia and that paranoia is what keeps getting our men and women killed.

And yes, the bibles were stopped - as far as we know - but there was a case a few months ago about an idiot evangelical handing out christian prayer coins printed in arabic at checkpoints in Iraq. How incredibly stupid, self serving and dangerous was that to do? How many Iraqis ended up signing with terrorist groups based on that incident?

And btw, I live in a heavily military city. My neighbors are military, my dh was military, my father was military, my BIL is military, and many of my childrens friends parents are military. Because of this, I do know that military perssonel are intelligent people. They are not no necked, steroid filled, jesus freaks who will break legs if they can't get your soul.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
The intent to deliver was there, if not by the soldiers then by the soldiers church. I'm glad that the chaplain saw reason and did not distribute them however try to see the wider view on this beyond doing ones christian duty to 'save'. How is this viewed by those natives in the area? Those Evangelical idiots gave the Taliban or Al Queda or any of the many, many other islamist terrorist groups out there the best recruitment pitch there ever was. One of the biggest things muslim theocracies use against the US is to tell their people we are out to convert them, to wage another crusade against them. This kind of crap feeds into that paranoia and that paranoia is what keeps getting our men and women killed..
You do realize one of the biggest reasons Al Queda and other muslim radicals are out to kill us is because we don't believe what they do right? I agree that no one should be trying to convert them as it only inflames an already bad situation but let's be real clear and not characterize or suggest that these are just poor muslims being whipped into a furor over some bible thumping.

Quote:
And yes, the bibles were stopped - as far as we know - but there was a case a few months ago about an idiot evangelical handing out christian prayer coins printed in arabic at checkpoints in Iraq. How incredibly stupid, self serving and dangerous was that to do? How many Iraqis ended up signing with terrorist groups based on that incident?
A little disingenuous to add the "as far as we know" line since it's been reported by the left paper Huffington Post that they were stopped and there's nothing to suggest otherwise as far as I've read.

Quote:
And btw, I live in a heavily military city. My neighbors are military, my dh was military, my father was military, my BIL is military, and many of my childrens friends parents are military. Because of this, I do know that military perssonel are intelligent people. They are not no necked, steroid filled, jesus freaks who will break legs if they can't get your soul.
Good point...

Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
.....A little disingenuous to add the "as far as we know" line since it's been reported by the left paper Huffington Post that they were stopped and there's nothing to suggest otherwise as far as I've read.

It is an developing story and I thought camping! was being measured in her response. Military says it did not happen and the footage was taken out of context. Al Jazeera released an unedited video to couter that. Here is a link disputing the army's account.
(Talk To Action | MRFF Responds to Military's Denial that U.S. Troops are Proselytizing Muslims).

Plus camping! is correct in pointing out other stories about some in army misusing the system for religions reason. Examples:
Talk To Action | Army Chief of Chaplains Promotes Ministry That Called Navy Secretary Satanic

Or, calling jews "whiners"
Air Force Bible Study Described Jews as 'Whiners' (http://www.pubrecord.org/religion/657.html?task=view - broken link)

Last edited by calmdude; 05-11-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM

355 posts, read 447,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
A comment like this deserves the twit filter. Off you go.
Do you not have any sensible, meaningful replies other than retorting to name-calling?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You do realize one of the biggest reasons Al Queda and other muslim radicals are out to kill us is because we don't believe what they do right? I agree that no one should be trying to convert them as it only inflames an already bad situation but let's be real clear and not characterize or suggest that these are just poor muslims being whipped into a furor over some bible thumping.
Do I sound like an idiot to you? Of course I know that there are islamists out there who would like nothing better then to wipe the west off the face of the Earth for no other reason then we are not Islamist nor do we follow sharia. As I thought I had made abundantly clear in my post why would we endanger our military by providing 'proof' that the US wants to convert/crusade against Islam? Al Jazeera is making hay with this (and other similiar) stories, and you would be quite naive if you don't think it is being used as a way to recruit potential terrorists. The fact that it is being accomplished by evangelicals claiming freedom of religion or freedom of expression is absurd and shows them to be just as dangerous and fanatical as the terrorists we are supposed to be fighting.

A little disingenuous to add the "as far as we know" line since it's been reported by the left paper Huffington Post that they were stopped and there's nothing to suggest otherwise as far as I've read.
Disengenious? No, I was quoting a Major Willis that the poster I was originally responding to used :
That specific case involved a soldier who brought in a donation of translated bibles that were sent to his personal address by his home church. He showed them to the group and the chaplain explained that he cannot distribute them," she said. "The translated bibles were never distributed as far as we know, because the soldier understood that if he distributed them he would be in violation of general order 1, and he would be subject to punishment.

Good point...
For your ease of reading, I highlighted the important text in red. You will notice that Major Willis herself stated that as far as the Army knew no bibles were distributed.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
And I would fully support you in your efforts against the terrorists and that is the postion of the US govt. Distributing bibles may simply **** off some locals and give these terrorists an excuse to recruit more.
Doing anything but completely capitulating and facing Mecca five times a day gives them the excuse to recruit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies