Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:17 AM

51 posts, read 92,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Before you assume experience level, you ought to get the whole story. Feel free to speak for yourself but I've been there and done that and saw nothing of the like. The man has evidence of personal experience not the evidence of a study covering the 27 countries that encompass the CENTCOM AOR.
You are correct in that I should not have assumed your experience level. Please do accept my sincerest apologies.

What is this "evidence of a study covering the 27 countries that
encompass the CENTCOM AOR?" If you have a link to it, could you please kindly provide it so that we may read it?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytav817 View Post
"him telling half the truth?" What 'half of the truth' are you talking about?
RE read my previous posts, I explained the whole story earlier in my posts.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
More xian drivel.
Many of us don't believe in your religious myth.
Keep it to yourself, where it belongs.
More anti-Christian bigotry. Surpise.

Quote:
Matthew, again. Pray in your closet where no one will see you.
You tend to cut and parse when and where it suits you.
I'd challenge you to show me how it's out of context but since you obviously don't even have an elementary understanding of the Bible, I'll refrain as I'd hate for you to prove yourself even more foolish than you already appear to be.

Quote:
BTW, what part of it's illegal in Afghanistan to try to convert someone to any religion do you not understand.
Thanks for showing your neverending ignorance.

If you scroll back, you'll see where I linked to where it's illegal in the military while operating in the CENTCOM AOR.

But please keep jumping to ignorant conclusions.

Quote:
There is no Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) there to protect you.
Wouldn't need one. I never proselytized in any of the countries I visited in the AOR. I understood the standing General Order. Again, you're welcome to scroll back and read it my link to it.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Another great post from the tolerant left. "Its ok to have your own views, as long as they are the same as mine."

I will pray, when, where, and however loud I want to. It is a protected RIGHT, and I will not allow some sniveling little person take that from me.
She liked quoting the laws of Afghanistan but obviously doesn't understand the Constitution.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post

You can guarantee it? Really? We went through this last week on the Pat Tillman thread. BTW, Weinstein served under Bush 41; his family is on its 3rd or 4th generation of West Point Grads. His book, "With God On Our Side" is enlightening.

Michael Weinstein: On evangelicals in the military: News: Q&A: Independent Weekly: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill
1,385,116 military personnel. 5,000 personnel complained. Well under 1/2 of 1%. Doesn't seem like an epidemic to me. Additionally, we don't know every situation. How many lied? How many complained about behavior that is perfectly legal, ethical, and moral?

Also, when you read the article do you give one thought for the man's own biases and how it may affect the way he presents information or do you assume that his bias has been set aside and he's not misrepresenting the information or leaving out information that conflicts with his statements?

What about the commanders, officers, NCOs that have abused their positions to deny military members their religious rights? I've experienced it in my service just as I've seen people go a little bit too far with their faith (though not in a way that violated anyone's rights).

Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytav817 View Post
You are correct in that I should not have assumed your experience level. Please do accept my sincerest apologies.

What is this "evidence of a study covering the 27 countries that
encompass the CENTCOM AOR?" If you have a link to it, could you please kindly provide it so that we may read it?

Thank you.
That's the point. He's relying on personal experience (anecdotal evidence) rather than a conducted study. Since there appears to be no study do we just take someone's personal experience and run with it? If so, why do you take one experience (his) when it contradicts another's opposing experience (mine)?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
That's the point. He's relying on personal experience (anecdotal evidence) rather than a conducted study. Since there appears to be no study do we just take someone's personal experience and run with it? If so, why do you take one experience (his) when it contradicts another's opposing experience (mine)?
Generally, I believe ALL people until they give me a reason not to. Matt Taibee went over there as a journalist. If you serve(d) on a day to day basis over there, then I am inclined to place more stock on your experiences as a serviceman, -woman, who's living that reality every day as opposed to the limited experiences of a reporter who may have just spent hours there, or a day or two.

Sorry, I do not know whether you are a male or female.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM

Default You're right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
RE read my previous posts, I explained the whole story earlier in my posts.
I'm not sure of the original air date, however, if this episode first aired recently, and the bible distribution issue has long been dealt with, then he did not practice responsible journalism...but then again, he's not really a journalist, in my opinion. That is why I try to read as many independent, and foreign, sources of information before making my mind up regarding a certain issue. There is just too much bias in our current day media to be able to make an informed choice or decision.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
1,385,116 military personnel. 5,000 personnel complained. Well under 1/2 of 1%. Doesn't seem like an epidemic to me. Additionally, we don't know every situation. How many lied? How many complained about behavior that is perfectly legal, ethical, and moral?

Also, when you read the article do you give one thought for the man's own biases and how it may affect the way he presents information or do you assume that his bias has been set aside and he's not misrepresenting the information or leaving out information that conflicts with his statements?

What about the commanders, officers, NCOs that have abused their positions to deny military members their religious rights? I've experienced it in my service just as I've seen people go a little bit too far with their faith (though not in a way that violated anyone's rights).

I bought his book, "With God On Our Side," and actually read it. As a West Point grad who served in the Bush 41 admin, Weinstein, who is
Jewish, was shocked at the evangelizing he encountered while at WP for a
speaking engagement. Weinstein investigated the subject himself, which led to questions about Tillman's death by "friendly fire," because Pat and his family are atheists. Read the book; it's enlightening and disturbing. Given his distinguished military background and service as a Republican, Mr.
Weinstein does not deserve to be accused of bias; had he been a pacifist
that might have led to such charges, but his family has a long tradition of West Point graduates.

Military Religious Freedom Foundation :: About the Foundation (http://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/about.html - broken link)

Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Talking and accepting tyranny of the majority.
Then don't complain about Obama at all.
He was voted by a majority.

I probably have more religious education than you do.
You read the bible myth your way and parse it to suit your wants, yet you complain when others do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies