Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 08:04 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Do you HONESTLY think all gay men are wanting to molest young boys? How can anyone believe that? Some people actually do think that.
GreatDay never suggested that, I don't think.

Quote:
And there have been plenty of cases of people having kids and killing them. Both liberal and republicans so "could be, I don't know is the answer."
And they deserve to be punished.

Quote:
Good for you. And thankfully if I ever get pregnant, I have the choice. I am so lucky too.
And pro-lifers have just as much say in the law as pro-choicers. There's not a 100% chance the laws will never change just because you feel your OPINION is correct. Before you say that your opinion is correct because abortion is currently legal, consider that you yourself have also been suggesting that certain laws be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Do you HONESTLY think all gay men are wanting to molest young boys? How can anyone believe that? Some people actually do think that.
Nope. This was an attempt to deflect from having to answer the question.

Frankly, it is quite a common trait amongst liberals who do not want to give a straight answer to a straight forward question.

It is also disingenuous.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
GreatDay never suggested that, I don't think..
It was an attempt to deflect from having to answer my question - he got caught in a corner and could not get out

Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It was an attempt to deflect from having to answer my question - he got caught in a corner and could not get out
OK.

And LiberalVoice is a she.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:13 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Nope. I answered your question. Not my problem if you don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
GreatDay never suggested that, I don't think.

And they deserve to be punished.

And pro-lifers have just as much say in the law as pro-choicers. There's not a 100% chance the laws will never change just because you feel your OPINION is correct. Before you say that your opinion is correct because abortion is currently legal, consider that you yourself have also been suggesting that certain things that are currently illegal be made legal.
Agreed.

But pregnancy is a medical condition. Women are humans and have the right to decide what goes in their body. The only thing that matters is Roe V. Wade. I doubt it will ever be overturned. The only solution is that if you are against abortion, don't do it.

I am lucky to live in a country where pregnancy is my choice.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Not everyone believes in the "word" or even interprets it in the same way as you or even cares what you believe in. Everyone is intolerant of something but I believe that's it's blatantly discriminatory and blissfully ignorant to use one's religion as a basis to deprive an entire class of citizens of a basic right simply because you've been personally taught to believe their mere existence is immoral. That's not tolerance but the epitome of intolerance. If the roles were flipped and someone told you that you didn't have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex because his or her religion taught it was wrong you'd probably fight tooth and nail too.

How would you feel if someone told you that you could not marry a woman because of their religious beliefs or because they are afraid their children would learn about the mere existence of heterosexual couples or because an employer did not want to extend benefits to your heterosexual marriage? Would you fight for your rights or would you be content to let others deprive you of your right to marry because of these reasons? I'm sure you wouldn't exactly believe that everything is sunshine and roses and crawl under a rock.

This debate over same-sex marriage is a classic case of tyranny of the majority. It was a non-issue thirty years ago when gay people were understandably too afraid to even live out their realities as gay and lesbians. Now that this is no longer the case and we've progressed beyond such ignorance, some Christians and others are grasping at straws to come up with a basis that can trump extended fundamental rights to every citizen. This is no surprise. I've seen many feign to pretend same-sex marriage is not a civil rights issues because they have safety in numbers. One can easily disregard the right of others if its their actions are deemed immoral or contrary to the religious beliefs of the majority. After all, religion has played an integral role in depriving minorities of rights throughout our country's history. Why not now?

This is just another situation where people will be wondering even a decade from now why the hell they spent all this time, energy and money fighting against something that, at the end of the day, had de minimis to zero effect on their lives.
BEAUTIFUL post!

Bravo! Thank you!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Nope. I answered your question. Not my problem if you don't understand.

Agreed.

But pregnancy is a medical condition. Women are humans and have the right to decide what goes in their body. The only thing that matters is Row V. Wade. I doubt it will ever be overturned. The only solution is that if you are against abortion, don't do it.

I am lucky to live in a country where pregnancy is my choice.
This "right" does not extend, in the OPINION of HALF of all Americans, to ending another life - even if that life has not been born. Roe v. Wade was a case of judicial activism at its finest. SC justices will always vote based on their own pro-life/pro-choice stances. Don't kid yourself - it may not always be your choice. Judicial activism can flip the other way.

And, yes, I have the right to support the laws being changed. And, no, my opinion on abortion is not based on religion.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
The only thing that matters is Roe V. Wade. I doubt it will ever be overturned.
I believe there's a good chance it could be overturned. It wouldn't mean that abortions are suddenly illegal. It would just mean that each state would be able to decide for themselves whether or not to allow it. I'm sure that in many states, abortion will always be legal.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 PM

I see some changes to various issues relating to abortion happening soon - including in areas of Parental Notification laws. Parents should be notified BEFORE they underage child has an abortion - that will happen soon

Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I believe there's a good chance it could be overturned. It wouldn't mean that abortions are suddenly illegal. It would just mean that each state would be able to decide for themselves whether or not to allow it. I'm sure that in many states, abortion will always be legal.
I doubt it will be overturned. Thankfully so.

And even if states decide it, women will still go and have abortion so I see no point in even doing that.

Quote:
I see some changes to various issues relating to abortion happening soon - including in areas of Parental Notification laws. Parents should be notified BEFORE they underage child has an abortion - that will happen soon
Now, I can agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies